Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 09:45 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
M-Lens or AF Lens

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
actually, sometimes I prefer the M lens with fast moving subjects, as it can be difficult to autofocus on an object. By the time I switch from AF to MF, I might've missed the shot, whereas if I started out as MF, I could've focused properly, pressed the AE-L button to meter, and got the shot. Where this is most prominent is in darker areas (ex: indoor arenas) where the autofocus tends to take a lot longer to focus properly... and I find that it sometimes even doesn't focus properly! (is this a K100D bug?? hmmm...)

Never knew about the 'optical preview' option! I can see the meter reading now. I'm finding it a bit foreign, though, as it doesn't adjust the shutter speed to the light being metered. The AE-L button method sets the shutter speed to the light in that situation, and I like that. But that's just me.
Yes, you can use the M lens for fast subjects if you are going to pre-focus and already set the lens for the right lighting, but then you can also use the AF lens and turn the AF off and focus yourself and still have the use of the auto metering, which would be faster in most cases than doing everything on your own. Just a matter of what works best for what you are doing at the time.

11-26-2007, 12:20 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redbirdpete Quote
The DOF preview method works fine on the K100D - provided of course you've set preview to optical. I have a K100D and use it a lot - I have several M lenses.

Actually, I'd really like to be able to switch quickly between the two preview methods without going into the menu - perhaps a feature for the K100D Extra Special that I'm sure is just round the corner
I leave my K10D on optical. The LCD preview is just a picture taken without being saved. Take the shot, press [>] and if you don't like it, garbage can. Next shot, please.