Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It will probably take 1.5 years+ for any change of direction from Pentax under Ricoh to materialise. Anything you'll see in the next year or so from Pentax is already decided upon...
just like the K10 wasn't from Hoya Pentax as it was already in the pipeline
However I imagine since this negotiation has gone on for a while and was announced well out that Ricoh is in consultation already and unlike Hoya their focus will be the camera business so there may already be some influence and a shorter lead to Ricoh influenced items coming to market

07-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
just like the K10 wasn't from Hoya Pentax as it was already in the pipeline
However I imagine since this negotiation has gone on for a while and was announced well out that Ricoh is in consultation already and unlike Hoya their focus will be the camera business so there may already be some influence and a shorter lead to Ricoh influenced items coming to market
Very insightful Eddie. Four years ago the Pentax world was hopeful that Hoya with all their resources would push Pentax to greater prominence. I guess we conveniently overlooked the clues that they were really after the medical-related assets. All the statements so far from Ricoh indicate that photo/imaging are core to their interest in Pentax, so it makes me hopeful once again. And, yes, I think we'll see more innovation sooner than either Pentax back in the day, or Hoya during their tenure, brought to bear.

Can't wait to become a PentaRican...
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
Very insightful Eddie. Four years ago the Pentax world was hopeful that Hoya with all their resources would push Pentax to greater prominence. I guess we conveniently overlooked the clues that they were really after the medical-related assets. All the statements so far from Ricoh indicate that photo/imaging are core to their interest in Pentax, so it makes me hopeful once again. And, yes, I think we'll see more innovation sooner than either Pentax back in the day, or Hoya during their tenure, brought to bear.

Can't wait to become a PentaRican...
I think Ricoh has done some interesting things (the GXR for example) but need Pentax to really be able to get into the game. I imagine at some point the ricoh brand will disappear from the cameras and the Pentax brand will replace (maybe GXRII for instance and some consolidation on the shrinking p/s front unfocussed on unique items that do things a cell phone can't - WR, Q system etc)
What neither company seems to be good at lately is marketing and distribution which is the thing I think needs to be addressed most. No point rolling out new lenses, systems et al without having a marketing channel to drive the sales