Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Early X-mass for Pentaxusers brought to us by Ricoh?

Will Ricoh take a good start in october when they are taking over Pentax and announce some fine new products to put a markingpoint in the sand to say where they stand:
  1. For 645D announcing the coming of the second model (645D-L) with KAF50100 50 megapixel sensor.
  2. For GXR announcing a module with Q-mount.
  3. For GXR announcing a module with K-mount and APS-C sensor.
  4. For GXR announcing a module with K-mount and a Full Frame sensor.
  5. For P&S announcing a new series of wheaterseald and shockproof camera's.
  6. For P&S ending the Optio series.
  7. For K-mount announcing K-5 Super (or K-3), improved K-5.
  8. For K-mount announcing some new lenses.
  9. For K-mount giving clearance about long telerange lenses in future (>400mm).
  10. For K-mount giving clearance about Full Frame camera in future.
  11. For K-mount releasing a Lens Road Map.

Ad1: This is very easy implementing. It uses the same base-electronics as the current sensor. So a new designed electronic lay-out and processing system and this can be in shops by X-mass 2011.
Ad2: Also an easy one. With the Q just started, this could be working as a powerboost to the Q-system.
Ad3: Put the K-5 sensor in such a module and support screwdriving AF and SDM. When this all fits in such a small module then they have all the designings and rights in their hands.
Ad4: This is a little harder to fit in and to get all the components (read sensor) you need. Will this be a full functioning cameramodule then there probably will be a need for a new basestation. Not so fast in shops. Maybe only manual focus like M-mount module.
Ad5: Just going on with normal bussiness.
Ad6: Optio ending wouldn't be a big thing since global marketshare is to low.
Ad7: An update for K-5 (new imaging processing as with 645D-II) and AF-improvement would give some extra time for future new designs. Can be in shops by X-mass 2011.
Ad8: Easy new lenses are DA24mm/f2 WR, DA*85mm/f1.4 and DA*135mm/f2.0 since they are from older designs and popular among the usergroup.
Ad9: Ricoh should state there position about lenses longer then 400mm. Development of those lenses is expensive, so make a choice and announce something or just end all wishes into that direction for the coming 5 years.
Ad10: Ricoh should state there position about a Full Frame camera. Development of such a camera is expensive, so make a choice and announce something or just end all wishes into that direction for the coming 5 years.
Ad11: Releasing a Lens Road Map could be coming with a timepath for the Full Frame camera since there are lenses needed for such a FF camera and new lenses for APS-c cameraline.

Any thoughts on this list or am I just dreaming and doesn't make this sence for a companie as Ricoh, when they buy a new bussiness and roll out a new future strategy?

For choices of new lenses Ricoh can just look into the survey:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146454-wich-le...r-d-money.html

For wich at the time the most popular choices are:
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The easy answers:
One way to spend the R&D budget is to highest usergroup demand:
* DFA*1,4x Tele Converter. There is currently no TC available for Pentax digital camera..
* SDM-II design with more reliabillity and faster Auto Focus and implementing them into the current SDM lenses and future new SDM lenses.
* DA 24mm/f2.0 WR is the highest rated lens in the survey. There is some logic to it, since it is an old an good lensdesign and there is no other prime in the widerange that futures WR.
* DA*85mm/f1.4 is the second lens to stand out on the survey. An expensive lens, but with the FA*85mm/f1.4 as a predecessor it is to be expected that there is a demand for such a great lens.
* DA*135mm/f2.0 is the third lens to stand out in the survey. A fast telelens that is good for concert, long lens portrait and sports (especially indoor sportsarena's) to name. An expensive lens, but with some good prospects among the Pentax userbase. With limited demand from usergroup.
These five are among the readers of this forum favorite and there is a good reason to beleave that they will be appreciated among current and future Pentax DSLR users worldwide to some extend. Having an updated and improved SDM-II version to make up for shortcomings of the current SDM (AF-performance in current lenses on K-5 isn't up to the speed off the camera anymore) will be good for Pentax brand. The other four choices are specialty choices, but all are adding a complete new lenschoice (or the TC) to the Pentax lens-lineup.
If you want something else developed, then just visit the lenssurvey and drop a note and vote in the poll. The bigger the pool of voters is the more sence it makes to do something with the results coming out off this survey!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/146454-wich-le...r-d-money.html

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.
07-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
#1 No.
#2 No.
#3 No.
#4 No.
#5 No.
#6 No.
#7 No.
#8 Only if previously planned by Pentax/Hoya.
#9 No.
#10 No.
#11 No.
07-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For 645D announcing the coming of the second model with KAF50100 50 megapixel sensor.
now that would be extremely nice, but I wouldn't count on it.
07-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
#1 No.
#2 No.
#3 No.
#4 No.
#5 No.
#6 No.
#7 No.
#8 Only if previously planned by Pentax/Hoya.
#9 No.
#10 No.
#11 No.
Unfortunately, probably accurate.

07-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

GET THOSE REINDEER OFF MY ROOF!! CLEAN UP THEIR SH!T!! AND TAKE THE EASTER BUNNY WITH YOU!!

I expect major announcements from Ricoh-Pentax in early-to-mid October, yes. Some new (or revived) K-mount lenses, yes. Some GXR modules, yes. Much of the rest, no. Maybe a rebranding of GXR. Maybe a rebranding (but not elimination) of the Optio line, for a very good reason: P&S's on display in brick+mortar stores promote their brands, provide a presence, something customers can actually touch. They are essential for marketing the brand IMHO.
You better not cry
You better not pout
You better sit down
I'm telling you now
Santa Claus is dead.

--Smothers Bros.
07-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

All those things are nice, but what I really want for Christmas is a pony.
07-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Full Frame pony :P

07-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A full-frame pony with SR, WR, super AF, and spots. Yes, the Pentaxaloosa!
07-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only thing we will get, is, at best, a roadmap.
07-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Firmware fix for K-r? (How soon people forget.......)
07-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What is a K-r?

07-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

What is a K-r?

Easy for you to say owning a K-5.......
07-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Looking at announcementdates:
  • K-m: spetember 22th 2008.
  • K-x: september 17th 2009.
  • K-r: september 9th 2010.

I think that before the takeover from Ricoh takes place the announcement for K-r replacement will be real. K-d with the sensor from K-5.
07-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

K-r replacement will be real. K-d with the sensor from K-5
Hopefully a clean variant...
07-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

man you pretty much nailed most of my wish list Ron, jodocast shot it all down and rico nailed what i think is possible
though more than a few people just don't "get" the GXR possibilities (not me damn the more i look the more i want one)
I doubt this christmas will see the 645D upgrade (no market reason yet) but maybe they will get some more lenses in the pipeline and upgrade the pro service