Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Internal Serial Number Vs. One on the bottom

I just realized that the "Internal Serial Number" on the camera - in my previous K7 and new K5 - as seen in the EXIF data, does not match what is on the bottom of the camera? So what serial number are we to use when we register the camera here and with Pentax?

Is the internal serial number one of those things for security, where you can't fake it or something?

07-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You register the number on the body (which is often also printed on the box).
07-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

No outside S/N on my Refurbished K20d

I bought a refurbished K20d, but it had a defective sensor so I sent it back and they (a camera shop) sent me another. Yesterday I realized that the S/N on the little sticker on the bottom of the camera had worn clean. That is, the S/N had disappeared. I checked my data from the camera shop and it only listed the S/N for the first K20d I received, the one I sent back. They sent me no data with the second one -- or if they did I lost it.

I used Photome to check the internal S/N. It lists 17785 as the internal S/N with a manufacturing date of 2008-05-12.

I checked a photo I had taken with the camera I sent back and it had an internal S/N of 61333 with a manufacturing date of 2010-08-19.

I am happy with my 17785 camera. I had 43 shuutter actuations on it when I received it and am up over 2000 shutter actuations with no problems as of this morning. But if the information on the 61333 camera is correct it was manufactured three years later than my 17785 camera. Is that possible? Were they still making K20d cameras in August of 2010? I wouldn't have thought so.

I took the blank sticker off my 17785 K20d and saw that "Void, Void, Void, Void" was stamped on the camera underneath. It took me a while to get the sticky "voids" off with a gum eraser.
07-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Historicity Quote
That is, the S/N had disappeared. I checked my data from the camera shop and it only listed the S/N for the first K20d I received, the one I sent back.
Hmmm? My worry would be that somewhere along the line it was a stolen item.
Even if it is not, then how would you prove that to someone else?
Would not the police ask for it if the item is stolen from you sometime?
How would you be able to add it to an insurance policy?
Would no serial number decal be a problem when going through customs?
I would return to the store and insist that they give me the serial number.
They should have it somewhere in their inventory lists. If it was worn off and not available when
they took it in trade or bought it, how did they know it was not a stolen item or one fraudulently
reported lost/stolen/destroyed to an insurance company?
I think you really should return it and ask for a replacement with none of these concerns.
Come to think of it - how would you prove to them that this was the exact same
camera they sold to you?
Good luck.

07-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I had 43 shuutter actuations on it when I received it
Hmmm, again.
Only 43 shutter actuations and the manufacture date was supposedly 2008.
Only 43 shutter actuations and yet there was so much wear that the
serial number decal was worn off so as to be unreadable.
Sounds to me like there was an attempt to make this camera untraceable.
Get back to the store and unload it quick! (IMHO)
07-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #6

Whoa. This was a camera shop that had a bunch of them. When I bought it off of ebay the guy was selling ten of them. I checked later on and he had another ten.

I wore the info off the sticker myself. It was absolutely pristine when I got it.

I learned about this ebay sale from either this forum or the Pentax dpreview forum. The guy said he called the camera shop and learned that it was Pentax rather than the shop who did the refurbishment. He believed the guy who said that.

At least one other person on one of these forum bought one of these cameras for $379. The second time I check the shop had increased the price per camera to $389.

And as I said, the first one this camera store sent me had a defective sensor; so I sent it back and was sent another.
07-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #7

I just checked my eBay purchase order. The agency selling the cameras was 4D Com;puters, 2500 Ludelle Street, Fort Worth Texas, 76105. www.4doutlets.com; 4D Outlets - Products

Cameras are just one of the items they sell, but I seriously doubt that they stole them.

Also, in going through the paper work I found the part number that was on the sticker I rubbed off, 36013.

Does anyone have a theory on whether the Photome info was correct in regard to the first camera I received, the one I sent back, i.e. that is was manufactured in August of 2010?
07-15-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Only theory I can guess is it was refurbished and the date was changed when that took place. I seriously doubt it was actually made that day. Brand new one usually have a few hundred shots on them leaving the factory.

07-15-2011, 06:13 AM   #9

Froggy,

Actually, the first K20d they sent me, the one with the August 2010 manufacturing date (according to Photome) did have about 200 shots on it. But my question is in regard to when Pentax stopped making K20ds. Did they still make them in August of 2010, or did something the "refurbishers" did change the manufacturing date to August 2010.

I hadn't thought about it before, but the low number of shutter actuations on the K20d I kept (the second one they sent me) may mean it failed some test before Shutter actuation 43. If that's the case it must have been something pretty obvious if the "refurbishers" didn't need to do additional tests involving additional shutter actuations.

New question, and maybe I'm asking it in the wrong place, I just checked Photome on the last photo I took yesterday and it said I had 1862 shutter actuations on my K20d. Picasa, however, says that the last photo I took was number 2176. I'm guessing that Photome doesn't count the shutter actuations for photos I deleted, but I don't know.
07-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-7 was introduced in 2009, so a 2010 date on a K20 would indicate that something had been replaced on the camera.
07-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #11

I don't think I have ever worn off a serial number label. Do you have sandpaper fingers?
07-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Canon refuses warranty service on cameras without a serial number. Any warranty service, even recalls. Could the party that did the refurb remove the number?