Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People's reactions to white Pentax cameras

So I ordered a White Pentax K-x with 18-55 and 50-200 for $500.

I'm just curious as to what reactions users of white Pentax's have gotten while out shooting in public.

07-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #2

I saw one couple days ago on Waikiki beach. It looks pretty cool.
07-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Everyone I've run across thinks it's really cool. I'm sure there are people out there who would look down their nose at it, but then again they are probably likely to do so no matter what your shooting (unless it's CaNikon).
07-15-2011, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #4

i'm a very casual photographer/amateur every time the white k-x has been out around pro photographers who look down on any one with less than 3 cameras around their neck at any time, well you can always spot them trying to sneek a peek at the whit-ie

looks awesome in real life - i see it as the camera Apple never made

07-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Everyone thinks there's cool except people out to buy a K-x, AFAIAC

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2011, 12:25 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I would be just as excited about the white as paying only $500 for such an awesome kit. The only one I like more is the Olive color. It looks like a WWII army camera.
07-15-2011, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Most people who's seen my camera either fall into two categories:

Most men - "Wow, that's a pretty awesome camera!"
Most girls - "Oh, it's SOOOO ADORABLE~~"

The second reaction isn't always the better one though...

07-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Most are compliments in the lines of "cute, adorable, cool, neat".

It definitely draws onlookers.
07-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Most people who's seen my camera either fall into two categories:

Most men - "Wow, that's a pretty awesome camera!"
Most girls - "Oh, it's SOOOO ADORABLE~~"

The second reaction isn't always the better one though...
2nd reaction:

Q:What kind of camera is that?
A: -Pentax Kx-

Most men - Pentax? Is it a toy? Why didn't you get a Canon 9D Mork VIII XL Type-R?
Most girls - Never heard of them!
07-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe the culture is different over here, but I've never ever encountered anyone who thought canikon is automatically better then any other brand. When I meet canikon amateur shooters here in Holland, they emmediately think Pentax is for the real pro's. And the pro's mostly know enough about the rich Pentax history.
07-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

A photo-newbie friend bought a white K-r (my suggestion for Pentax, his wife's suggestion to get white) and he loves that it isn't a "serious camera" but gets great shots. I guess all-black can be intimidating for the person behind the camera as well.
07-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've just a black K20D but on the few occasions it's noticed, the reaction is something like "Oh, that's a REAL camera!" from folks with little plastic CaNikons -- who then ask for help with theirs. The pros who see it say, "Good camera".
07-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Maybe the culture is different over here, but I've never ever encountered anyone who thought canikon is automatically better then any other brand. When I meet canikon amateur shooters here in Holland, they emmediately think Pentax is for the real pro's. And the pro's mostly know enough about the rich Pentax history.
Yep. Same here. If I ever did encounter some jerk who made a snide remark about my choice of camera, I'd just surmise they were dumber than lunch meat and not give it another thought... I mean, why waste energy on the stupid?

For the original poster: Here's a thread about an experience I had with my white K-x:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/150314-white-k-x-breaks-ice.html

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
A photo-newbie friend bought a white K-r (my suggestion for Pentax, his wife's suggestion to get white) and he loves that it isn't a "serious camera" but gets great shots.
I dunno... I think the K-r (or any Pentax DSLR) is a serious camera. If it's a reliable, versatile, and effective tool that doesn't get in the way of making great photos, it's serious enough in my book.

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)
07-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Compact users think my white K-x is nice, but too big.
And why on earth would anyone use a fixed focal length lens???

Other DSLR users automatically assume their camera is better than your small white thingie. They've never heard of a K-x. They're using a much larger, serious looking black Canikon, which most of them never take out of Green mode, and a superzoom. They wouldn't know how to change the lens, or why you would need to, even if they had a second lens, which they don't.

Pros and people with full-frame DSLR's have nicer gear, are serious photographers, and please don't get in the way with your little white toy. Or your big black toy for that matter.

My K20D gets a lot more respect from the first two groups, not from the third. But it's only a Pentax, why didn't you get a Canikon like me?

There are exceptions, but these are the common reactions I've seen.
07-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've had quite a few serious amateurs and pros ask to check out the "stormtrooper" and most really liked it for a second (or third) body as a pro or primary for an enthusiast which is who it is aimed at.

K-x takes a darn nice photo and the focus actually works albeit a bit slower than some