Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Apple Mac Software

Does anyone know

Does Pentax do software for the K10d for the mac computer & where I could get such

Thank you in advance

Bobartex

11-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why not use iPhoto? You don't need the Pentax software, but if you want it, install it from the CD included with the K10D
11-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup.

Pentax Canada - PENTAX PHOTO Browser 3
11-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I use iphoto with my k100d. works fine. Also the cd that came with the camera loaded just fine.

11-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Forum Member

Have you heard of Parallels? It lets you run Windows applications under MacOS X.
11-21-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobartex Quote
Does anyone know

Does Pentax do software for the K10d for the mac computer & where I could get such

Thank you in advance

Bobartex
The supplied CD's that came with my isyD and my K10D load just fine on PC or Mac. I have a PC and an ibook for field storage and slideshow viewing and the software works fine on both.

FWIW, i have tried iphoto and am not impressed with iit. PSCS or LR 1.3 are what i use mostly.

Dave
11-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #7

I have used both iPhoto and Aperture. I use Aperture exclusively for some time now and I love it.

11-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Mac software

I use iPhoto for storing and making slideshows and prepping photos for DVD making. So far I have used the Pentax lab for my post production and handling RAW, which I find I use more and more.

I also have Adobe CS, but no upgrade to 2 or 3.

The Pentax stuff works great!

I wonder when iPhoto will work with RAW?
11-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your replys, I think I'll reinstall the pentax software & see's what happens

Bobartex
11-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Redwood10D Quote
I use iPhoto for storing and making slideshows and prepping photos for DVD making. So far I have used the Pentax lab for my post production and handling RAW, which I find I use more and more.

I also have Adobe CS, but no upgrade to 2 or 3.

The Pentax stuff works great!

I wonder when iPhoto will work with RAW?
RAW support for Apple applications is built-in to the OS. If you are running 10.4.9 or later the RAW files for both the K100 and K10 are supported. Lightroom uses Adobe Camera RAW so it is independent of the OS. If have worked on RAW files from my K10 in both Aperture and iPhoto with no problem.
11-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #11

I have found that Mac OS 10.4.11 does not work with K100D Super RAW format for some reason. I have seen some mention of hacking a .plist file, but I have had no luck with that, either... any advice?
11-22-2007, 04:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tdmsu Quote
I have found that Mac OS 10.4.11 does not work with K100D Super RAW format for some reason. I have seen some mention of hacking a .plist file, but I have had no luck with that, either... any advice?
No experience with the K100Super, but can you choose your Raw format, like the K10D.? I shoot Raw+jpeg and use DNG as the default/

Dave
11-22-2007, 09:04 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
No experience with the K100Super, but can you choose your Raw format, like the K10D.? I shoot Raw+jpeg and use DNG as the default/

Dave
That will work if you use Adobe Camera RAW or Lightroom but it will not work with iPhoto or Aperture. Those programs can only read a DNG file if the underlying RAW file is supported.
11-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobartex Quote
Does anyone know
As has been mentioned here -
Pentax PhotoLab and PhotoBrowser works fine for Mac.

Mac OS X from 10.4.9 has built-in support for PEF's from K10D and K100D, but has not been updated to handle the PEF's from K100D Super (which uses a slightly different PEF than K100D).
I don't know if 10.5 has support for K100D Super.

Now, this means that every software that uses the RAW-conversion in Mac Core Image, which is part of the operating system, can use the RAW-files. This includes Apples own software Aperture, iPhoto but even the Preview-software - oh, and Finder can show thumbnails of PEF's directly in the directory window without extra software (if this feature is turned on in the preferencies). Also third party software works, but unfortunately few third party software uses the excellent built in functions in Core Image. My personal favourite so far is Pixelmator Pixelmator

Other RAW converters that work on Mac with support for PEF's are...
Adobe Camera Raw, Lightroom, Photoshop
RAW Developer
Bibble Lite/Pro
LightZone (my favourite)
Capture One
11-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tdmsu Quote
The K100D Super uses a different header in the RAW-files than K100D does, so software for the K100D RAW cannot automatically read K100D Super RAW - the software needs to be tailormade for the K100D Super PEF's. Now, it may be possible to change the header in the PEF so that it reads K100D instead of K100D Super and this may work, but I don't really know how one does that...