Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DLSR Repair Center Reviews

I'm interested in hearing about other Pentax consumers repair experiences. Name names. Did you deal with an authorized repair center, or did you send directly to Pentax...

07-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have been dealing with VanCam Services in Vancouver. (Pentax Authorized Repair). I dropped off my K5 on May 11th 2011. It's now July 15th. I have checked with them a couple of times, but have tried to be patient. Finally I phoned Pentax Canada directly and have found that VanCam has never actually shipped my camera to Pentax. It's been sitting on their shelf gathering dust. It's taken so long that I purchased a 2nd K5.

I spoke with the manager at the office, and the best that he could offer would be to send the camera by air to Pentax. He did not offer any additional compensation for the delay. Rather than ask for them to cover the cost of the repair, or deal with them any further, I have arranged that they will refund my deposit, and I will pick the camera up. Then I will send it directly to Pentax myself.

Initially they led me to believe that they could possibly repair it onsite. Then they told me it had to go to Pentax, and they would send it. At that time, I thought I should have picked it up and taken them out of the equation. However they made me think the repair would be handled more quickly coming from them.

In the past I sent a K10 and a K20 directly to Pentax and the repair process was much simpler. (Just cleanings).

I will never deal with VanCam Services Ltd again. (Vancouver BC).
07-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

That sure sounds dreadful ! Two months delay right in the middle of the best season sounds unreasonable to me.
Most countries have consumer protection laws setting a time limit for the dealer/service center for having a case like this closed. The details vary from one country to another. Usually in case they cannot get the device fixed within a reasonable time, they are obliged to replace it or give you your money back. I do not know the situation in your country, but to me two months is approaching the limits of unreasonable.
This once again demonstrates the importance of qualified service centers within reach!
07-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

Sent my K7 to what I thought was Pentax USA. Turns out it goes to an outfit called CRIS. I enclosed a detailed list of my complaints with sample photographs.

The good news: CRIS was quick. The camera was back in 10 days.
The bad news: I expect my list and samples were immediately dispatched to the garbage can. The repair invoice stated that the camera was adjusted to factory specs. No additional details, and absolutely no correction of my complaints.

07-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Pureluck,

I have been dealing with Camtex on 5th Avenue in Vancouver for a while and I found their services are very good. One of the guy actually worked for Pentax Canada when their HQ was in Vancouver, so he did lot of work on my Pentax film cameras. I usually ask them over the phone first and they are very straight forward about what they can fix and what not. They have also fixed a number of my old Hasselblad & Sony stuff.
07-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I had a problem with my K20 a year or so ago, sent it to CRIS in AZ, USA. IIRC, they got it on a Wed., replaced the main board, cleaned, reset and installed latest firmware, and shipped it back on that Friday. Total time out of my hands was about one and a half to two weeks, most of which was travel time between MA and AZ. Haven't had a problem since!
07-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I have dealt with C.R.I.S. in the US twice. The first time a part had to be ordered that could be considered a part that does not often break (it was broken by an accident, not by a defect), so it did take awhile to receive that from Pentax. Once they got the part, they turned it around in a couple days. During this time the customer service rep I spoke with was very pleasant and tried to be helpful, so I would consider this a positive experience even though it took awhile.

The second time was when they were replacing the stained K-5's with new kits, and they took about 1 week to get me a new one. it was gone for a total of 3 weeks, but it takes UPS 5 days for a ground shipment from Buffalo to Arizona. So again, I think C.R.I.S. did pretty well.

I know others have reported some trouble, but this is my experience.
07-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandilands Quote
Sent my K7 to what I thought was Pentax USA. Turns out it goes to an outfit called CRIS. I enclosed a detailed list of my complaints with sample photographs.

The good news: CRIS was quick. The camera was back in 10 days.
The bad news: I expect my list and samples were immediately dispatched to the garbage can. The repair invoice stated that the camera was adjusted to factory specs. No additional details, and absolutely no correction of my complaints.
CRIS is the official Pentax Service Center in the USA.

07-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

CRIS did a good job if the part was available from Pentax. If it is back-ordered, you might have to wait for a month.

Pentax will consider exchanging your gear if the part has been back-ordered for 6 weeks.
07-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I picked up the K5 Saturday. They didn't have any apologies for me, just refunded the deposit I had left and handed over the camera. So I have packed it up and have shipped it directly to Pentax Canada in Mississauga. I enclosed a copy of the VanCam work order, and a request to expedite the repair. I'll let you know what happens.
07-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Hi Pureluck,

I have been dealing with Camtex on 5th Avenue in Vancouver for a while and I found their services are very good. One of the guy actually worked for Pentax Canada when their HQ was in Vancouver, so he did lot of work on my Pentax film cameras. I usually ask them over the phone first and they are very straight forward about what they can fix and what not. They have also fixed a number of my old Hasselblad & Sony stuff.
I have also dealt with Camtex when I need something done out of warranty. Foolishly thought I might get the work done faster through Vancam this time. Just the bottome end from a memory card card broke off and was stuck at the bottom of the slot. So I can't insert another card. (Lexar Professional Card). I agree, for the right job, Camtex can be excellent. I had them clean and recoat a drop in filter for my 600mmF4, and they did a terrific job. I think the cost was around $30.00.
07-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Repair estimate from Pentax

There are two issues with my K5. The mode select knob at the top left was dented when my tripod was knocked over by a bystander. I was able to get a leg under the tripod and redirect the force, so it wasn't a huge hit. However the knob did take a dent. The camera worked perfectly. It was just difficult to turn the knob into the movie mode. All other modes it worked properly. The dent in the knob caused it to bind against the case when going into movie mode. Despite this injury, the camera worked perfectly for over a month.

The second issue was a memory card failure. It was a Lexar Platinum II card which was not in the camera during incident 1. Not sure what happened. When I removed the card it seemed normal. But when I tried to insert a new card, it would not go all the way in and click. It was almost all the way in except 1-2mm. Put the Lexar back in and it clicks into place. After examining the lexar card, it appears the bottom edge of the card has come off and is stuck in the slot. I assumed they would fish out the piece of plastic and I would be good to go.

Here's the quote from Pentax.

77777 DIGITAL MISCELLANEOUS 1 10.00
0077430 T100 MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD 1 296.67
0077430 0-A301 TOP COVER ASSY 1 80.76
LABOURDIG 250.00

I have no problem paying for the top cover, and even the labour. However if it requires a main board replacement wouldn't that indicate the memory card slot failed, and that should be warranty.

One of my main reasons for choosing and supporting Pentax was the service I have received in the past. Now, it seems that has been cut back as well.

When I attempted to contact them to discuss the repair, I was told to send an email to service @pentax.ca, and someone would get back to me. It's been 3 days and no reponse to the email. I'll try phoning again tomorrow, and post the results.
07-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What does Lexar say about this? Sounds like their product caused this.