Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #1

K100D Super Rear LCD Issue

Hi, I just joined and this is my first post. I searched the forums and google, but didn't find my problem described exactly. Pardon me if I just wasn't able to find it properly.

I recently purchased a used K100D Super. Checked it out (in sunlight) and everything seemed to work ok. Once I got home in the lower light, I noticed odd behavior with the LCD:

- the screen will flicker (modulate in brightness) in the menus

- rotating the selection wheel for several seconds causes this to go away, until the unit is powered back on after some disuse

- changing the brightness level will also cause the flickering to go away. Initially, the brightness was set to +7. moving it to 0 alleviated the issue, until I powered it back on after not using it for a while. The brightness setting at which the flickering stops varies, depending on where you last set it before power-off

- initially, the image preview did not exhibit this behavior. Neither did image playback at 0 magnification, but now both modes present the issue consistently

- in image playback, magnifying the image causes the display to drop dramatically in brightness, but returning to 0 magnification returns the display to full brightness

- also, rotating the image will cause the loss of brightness, but only in the opposite orientation that the photo was made in. In other words, if I select rotate once, the image goes darker, rotate a second time, the image is bright again, rotating a 3rd time causes darkening, and the fourth rotation goes back to normal brightness

- sometimes during playback, half of the screen (upper or lower) will rapidly modulate brightness while the other half is constant.

This is strange behavior and my theories are:

1) bad backlights on the LCD
2) bad LCD module (controller and associated electronics)
3) bad main logic board

I've tried fresh batteries (I'm using Eneloops) and regular Alkalines, but there was no change in behavior. The seller suggested trying the Pentax-recommended lithium batteries, but I don't think this will be a fruitful experiment.

Since I don't make heavy use of the LCD (primarily use the histogram which is unaffected by the relative brightness of the screen), It doesn't bother me, and the price was pretty decent, even with the defect.

I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if there is any advice to give. I plan to call Pentax and see if they have some info regarding repairs. If it's under $100 for the parts, I'd be tempted to do the replacement myself.

Thanks in advance for any help!

07-15-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've never heard of this problem. Sounds like main PC board. Get the seller to give a partial refund if want to keep the camera. The problem could get worse and the display stop completely. I'd return it for a refund, but that's me.
07-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, gp1806! I intend to keep the camera, and for what I paid for it, it's worth it. I'll use it primarily to test out K mount and M42 lenses. If the components go, I'll get parts and tinker around with it. It's not my primary camera, so I'm not too worried about it.
07-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd go with gp1806, but then again the K100DS is a fine camera and a robust one at that with very minimal problems reported over the years..it was mostly praise that was reported about this camera.
Welcome to the forums Malfunction54.
Enjoy your new camera! I know I enjoy mine..