Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ist DS Firmware Update

I inherited my parents DS and after a week of mapping dust and cleaning, its ready for shooting and taking some good photos (read: as good as I can take right now). Im putting down my P30t and ZX30 for this one for a little while. They stopped using it because it was more than they needed and went with a Powershot since I had one and it takes really good photos, very easily. I would like to update the firmware but cannot seem to make it happen. I followed the directions and checked the version I have and its 1.0. There are a few updates on the Pentax site that I would like to load up but I cannot seem to make it work.

I have a Mac so I downloaded the update, unzipped it and put it onto the memory card. Just as they said, I made sure that it wasnt in a subfolder, just on the card. Held down the Menu button and turned it on and get nothing but the screen that tells me Im running version 1.0. What am I doing wrong? I have noticed that the file that I download from the Pentax site has a completely different name than what is written in the directions on their site. The .three letter extension is different too. Do I need to change the extension?

07-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you sure you downloaded the correct firmware? There's an *istD, *istDS, & *istDL. Maybe you downloaded the wrong file. If it's a different filename than the Pentax website says it should be, something's probably amiss...

I updated the firmware on my wife's *istDS & it went off without a hitch.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)
07-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The DS will not accept SDHC cards...without the firmware update. That is likely your problem as most current cards are SDHC! You'll need a standard SD card (a 2gb card from newegg will run seven or eight bucks, probably something cheaper on ebay).
07-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
The DS will not accept SDHC cards...without the firmware update. That is likely your problem as most current cards are SDHC
'Tis true... That's why I updated... So I could use SDHC cards on the *ist DS.

07-19-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, so its now nothing more than a brick. Shouldve left it alone after I read all of the failed firmware update threads. It turns on, shows Version 1.0, the meter and display and everything still works BUT the shutter no longer fires. I can hit the button as much as I want but nothing happens.

So, I cannot open the files that they tell me to download. Does anyone have an expanded file of the firmware update for Mac?
07-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi.

I would consult with them via live web chat and have them walk you thru what to do next. Here's the URL:

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Good luck,
Bobbo
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Spoke with a guy by the name of Paul at Pentax and its all ironed out. Running the new firmware!

07-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good deal! Glad to hear it...

Cheers,
Bobbo :-)