Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #1

K-x metering issue (underexposing shots)

I've had a K-x for almost a year now and I'm having some trouble with underexposed images. It seems that I have to go to +1 on the exposure to get a properly exposed shot, otherwise it comes out too dark. The lens I'm using is a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8.

I also have a Lensbaby composer and when I shoot with that (aperture priority with the aperture set to match the Lensbaby) I need to crank the exposure up to almost +2.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

07-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

Original Poster
By the way, I'm not trying to imply that the metering issue is dependent on lens selection because, logically, I can't think of a reason it would be. I'm just explaining my observations.
07-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep. And not just with my K-x. It also happens with the K100D & *istDS. I've discovered that some lenses consistently under or over-expose by a stop or so, no matter what body they're on. Some lenses just vary a little. I'd just make a mental note of which lenses underexpose, and when you mount the lens, set your exposure comp & forget it. That's probably why it's there.
07-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Same here with the 17-50 on my K-x. I shoot RAW so it isn't really an issue, for me at least. If you google "Tamron 17-50 underexposed" you'll get results from years back, some from this very forum.

07-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, I think Pentax cameras have a tendency to underexpose. I usually adjust in pp, unless I need high key shots.
07-19-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I've heard that about the Tam 17-50.

I found my K-x usually needs +1/3 for my DA lenses, and +0 for my FA's.
07-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

My 17-50 also under-exposes by about 1 stop. It is the only lens I own that does so.
I also own two other modern Tamron lenses and they meter fine.

It may have something to do with the fact that non-Pentax lenses by default will only work in center-weighted AE metering mode on the K-x/K-r/K-5 etc etc, not the full matrix AE metering. Full matrix metering only works with newer Pentax lenses. It can make a noticeable difference to some scenes - eg backlit subjects etc.

Shooting in RAW is an effective remedy for the issue, but it is still a nuisance nonetheless. There must be something in the way the 17-50's electronics report the settings of the lens to the camera body.
07-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
non-Pentax lenses by default will only work in center-weighted AE metering mode on the K-x/K-r/K-5 etc etc, not the full matrix AE metering. Full matrix metering only works with newer Pentax lenses.
No, this isn't true. Matrix metering is available and works with any AF lens. You're limited to center-weighted with MF lenses since they obviously can't transmit focus distance info.

07-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #9

I am using K-x for over a year now and by default my K-x under exposes and so I calibrated by using a default +1/3 EV compensation with my DA 16-45 and other Pentax lenses. I think that's where it properly meters for medium tones. Photographer John Shaw explained this in his book "Nature Photography Field Guide".

Guna
07-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Matrix metering is available and works with any AF lens.
The Pentax manuals for the K-x, K200D, K-7 amd K-5 suggest otherwise, but I could be wrong I guess in interpreting what they say.

I also know that (for example) my Tamron 17-50 when set to matrix AE metering does a worse job metering scenes than the DAL 18-55 kit lens. The Tamron always performs as if it is doing center AE metering, whereas the Pentax kit lens clearly meters differently when set to matrix than when set to center AE.

Maybe it is just my sample of the Tamron lens.
07-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
Okay, whew...I thought there was something wrong with my camera. Thanks all for the info!
07-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gut1kor Quote
I am using K-x for over a year now and by default my K-x under exposes and so I calibrated by using a default +1/3 EV compensation with my DA 16-45 and other Pentax lenses.
Are you shooting jpegs? I shoot raw and I don't expose for mid-tones. I expose to protect highlights, so IMO the K-x overexposes.

I took a lot of photos recently on a trip to Paris, about 2/3 with the K20D and 1/3 with K-x. Conditions were difficult, a lot of outdoors shots with high contrast and dim churches with bright windows. I had to back off -1Ev and boost midtones on virtually every single K-x shot. Most of the K20D photos needed no adjustment in post.
07-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Are you shooting jpegs? I shoot raw and I don't expose for mid-tones. I expose to protect highlights, so IMO the K-x overexposes.
yes, initially. But lately I have been shooting in RAW and using center weighted metering. But for any critical subjects, I use spot metering in which case I had to meter based on the tonality of the subject. This process is working fine as of now. BTW I shoot in AV mode only.
07-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As usual, it would help if you posted samples. Usually when people report udnerexpose, there turns out to be a simple explanation - like them not realizing how much a bright highlight or background or a lighter-than-average subject can affect exposure. But it's also possible there is a problem. Pictures (with Exif intact) would help determine which is the case.