Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Unless you're using PK_Tether (Which also supports the K-x) I don't believe that the K-7 does tethering out of the box. If I recall correctly the K10d is the last body that officially supported tethering with Pentax software.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
The K20D supports a USB computer link and came bundled with Pentax Remote Assistant 3 software.

07-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just so you as a couple can have more options I would go with anything but the Kx or Kr. So the K7 or K20 would be good. You both will have the option of a small compact and a larger WR body. Plus each has there strengths and weaknesses but together they make a great combo.
07-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Like Lee said, you've got to get her a new one. That way she can put her own stamp on the camera and make it her own, none of this used goods as a gift - you'd never hear the end of it. Try these links for a brand new K-r with free shipping: NEW Pentax K-r Digital SLR Red Camera Body Only 12MP | eBay

NEW Pentax K-r Digital SLR Red w/18-55mm Lens Kit | eBay

You play your cards right and get her a brand new K-r, you can ask for a used K-5 on your birthday.

Thanks,
07-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I too am in the same boat with my wife, I am trying to find a new K-x mainly for familiarity, this way since she doesnt know much about DSLRs I can show her really quickly because I already know the ins and outs of that particular model. Besides that the K-x is an awesome little camera.
Another note for ya-What ever you buy, BUY NEW!!!! You wont regret it.

07-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's absolutely necessary to buy new. I'm guessing this isn't going to be a complete surprise so ask her the following: Do you want a K-7 or a K200d AND a better lens?

I mention the K200d because it has the AA batteries that you mentioned liking. One big advantage over the K-x is that it is water resistant. Two disadvantages are no video and you need to use lower ISO's. I bought one in the forum marketplace a month ago for 350 and there are usually one or two available.
07-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree, a K200D is probably a better idea if you can find one. It's definitely a very excellent camera despite not being a "flagship" model, and one of my friends uses one to great effect (though he plans to upgrade to a K-5 when he gets the money). The K20D is a good buy if you need a weather sealed body and don't want to break the bank.

If you really need to have video recording capabilities and want the option of higher ISOs, then I'd opt for a K-x (again, if you can find one). The K-r is great, but the K-x is probably easier to pick up and start shooting with right away.
07-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
If you really need to have video recording capabilities and want the option of higher ISOs, then I'd opt for a K-x (again, if you can find one).
You make it sound as though the K20D can't shoot at high ISO. My tests show about 2/3 stop difference at high ISO (1600-3200). Not that big a deal considering the other major advantages the K20D body brings. A K200D will be about a stop less sensitive than the K20D with features in between the other two.

07-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
I agree, a K200D is probably a better idea if you can find one
I disagree... This is a birthday pressent for the OP's wife... My missus would want a new camera not a used one...

K-x or K-r... New, shiny, in a box and just for her...
07-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Unless you're using PK_Tether (Which also supports the K-x) I don't believe that the K-7 does tethering out of the box. If I recall correctly the K10d is the last body that officially supported tethering with Pentax software.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
K20D was the last body Pentax provided Tethering support to via the Remote Assistant utility...

07-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You make it sound as though the K20D can't shoot at high ISO. My tests show about 2/3 stop difference at high ISO (1600-3200). Not that big a deal considering the other major advantages the K20D body brings. A K200D will be about a stop less sensitive than the K20D with features in between the other two.
Does Iso 1600 noise on the K20d match the Iso 3200 noise on the K-x? Just because you can set the K20d at 1600 doesn't mean it's the same. I briefly had a K-x and I was more comfortable setting it at 1600 than I am setting the K200d at 800

The K10d, K200d and K20d are all weather sealed although the K20d has the larger sensor. Because I briefly had a K-x (an ocean accident) weather sealing is very important for me.

QuoteQuote:
I disagree... This is a birthday pressent for the OP's wife... My missus would want a new camera not a used one...

K-x or K-r... New, shiny, in a box and just for her...
We don't know the OP's wife. She might be practical or she might prefer getting a camera AND a lens. Or maybe she wants a weather sealed camera. Or she might have totally impractical (for some) reasons for picking a camera (like she wants a red one).
07-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Does Iso 1600 noise on the K20d match the Iso 3200 noise on the K-x?
I've done this test a couple of times, because I normally use the K20D with my FA 35mm and the K-x with the DA 40mm. The K20D/FA 35 @ f/2 and ISO 1600 has slightly lower noise, the K-x/DA 40 @ f2.8 and ISO 3200 has slightly better resolution.
07-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I took the k-r to the museum yesterday with the 35mm 2 and I was pleasantly surprised with the low light performance. I took very usable pics in very dark rooms. I felt very comfortable setting ISO to 3200+.
07-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Buy a K-r I'd say- it'll give you that bigger screen and it'll be more responsive than the older K10d and K20d.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #29
Veteran Member

WR is over rated unless you live in a region that suffers high rainfall or spend lots of time living in the bush. A Kx or preferably Kr - no brainer really for any beginner (or even intermediate) - for the high ISO capability and especially suitable for a lady who may not want a large, heavier body (well no lady does, and I'm not referring to yours either) !
07-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have let her know that I'm weighing the options. She would be okay with inheriting my K-x.

I'm thinking that WR is not such an advantage unless one has WR lenses, which I don't - so far. Is WR an option with most newer lenses?

I like the availability of the battery grip feature (for me) for the K-10/20/7. Don't like the smaller LCD screen of the K-10 (at 55, I have to wear glasses to read just about everything). I do like the larger, higher resolution screen on the K-r/7.

Like the low light performance of the K-x/r.

Like the price of the K-10/20.

Don't care about video capabilities.

K-20 doesn't have lens correction. Is this a non-issue if I'm shooting RAW?

I think I'm leaning toward giving my wife the K-x and looking for a deal on a K-20 with batt grip for myself.