Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need second camera body

I've owned a K-x for a little over a year. Got the package with the 18-55 and 55-300. Since then I've also acquired a Pentax-M 50mm f1.7, a Pentax-F 28mm f2.8, and lots of other gear. My wife has decided that she would like a DSLR for her birthday coming up next month.

Of course I would get her a Pentax so we can share lenses. I definitely don't want to share the camera; getting it back with changed settings would drive me nuts.

So I'm trying to decide which route would be the best without breaking the bank. Ideally, she'd like something new (don't all wives?). But I'm trying to consider several options. K10D, K20D, K-x, K-r, and K-7 are all possibilities. They all have fine IQ, depending on the lens used.
  • The price spread for a used body only is about $400 to $700.
  • K10D, K20D and K-7 are physically a bit larger - I like that, she wouldn't
  • K-7 has a much clearer lcd screen - good for my old eyes, but she'd love that too. And weather resistant, although non of my current lenses are.
  • K-x has the various Scenes available, which she'd like.
So I could:
  1. Save a couple hundred bucks by buying the K10D - saved money could be put toward lenses
  2. Buy another K-x which is not as old or used as the K10D or K20D. I could get one of the coloured models for her.
  3. Buy a K-7 - more money, but an upgraded body. Although I hesitate to depart from the AA batteries now that I have a nice Maha charger (could still use it for charging batts for the flashes).
  4. ?
I'm comfortable with buying second hand - more bang for the buck.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Ross

07-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Buy either a K-x or a K-r. They share the same feelings and buttons, so the both camera's are perfect to use.
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K-x and K20D. I'd get the K20D or K-7, give the K-x away.
07-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ask her which she like Level entry or pro-semi?? Smile

07-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you like the KX, you can get one new for about $450 (body only) and then get yourself new lens to go with it

http://www.tristatecamera.com/lookat.php?refid=279&sku=PENKXBK
07-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-x will be the least intimidating. I don't suppose you could give her your K-x and upgrade your camera .
07-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Its a GIFT, she needs a new one even though it will be less camera than a used one. After 35 yrs of marriage I KNEW the answer to this one.

07-20-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Its a GIFT, she needs a new one even though it will be less camera than a used one. After 35 yrs of marriage I KNEW the answer to this one.
A good lesson to learn about one year before marriage.
07-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't ya wish you'd known that 35 years ago? Just think where you'd be today -- or not!

H2
07-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H has a refurbished Storm Trooper Kx with the kit lens for $440... - with free shipping....

Used Pentax Pentax K-x Digital SLR with 18-55mm Zoom 16302B B&H

07-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Get a K100Ds. Less money, so you could get an upgraded lens too. You did mention a K10D, so I guess she doesn't need high speed. This camera take same batteries. I had one of these, the daughter has it now, still takes great pictures.
07-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Get her a K-r or K-x... Make sure your shots are better than hers and she'll soon be suffering from her own case of LBA which you can then take advantage of...
07-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although it is no longer in production, I'd consider K200d in near mint condition -- not too difficult these days if you look around a bit. It is a fine camera and will do a great job with primes like FA35.
07-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I like my K-x, although one other shortfall of it, for me, is that it doesn't do tethered shooting - one reason I'm tempted by the K-7.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
The K-x will be the least intimidating. I don't suppose you could give her your K-x and upgrade your camera .
That's another option. It is an entry level camera and although I'm still a novice I've gained some knowledge and experience, whereas my wife is artistic but hasn't learned the basics of photography yet.
Well I bought her a near new car and she was thrilled, so maybe I can do the same with a camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
B&H has a refurbished Storm Trooper Kx with the kit lens for $440... - with free shipping....

Used Pentax Pentax K-x Digital SLR with 18-55mm Zoom 16302B B&H

If I go the K-x route that's a decent deal. She'd like the coloured one.
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Get her a K-r or K-x... Make sure your shots are better than hers and she'll soon be suffering from her own case of LBA which you can then take advantage of...
It would certainly make it easier to justify spending more on some quality glass.
07-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Unless you're using PK_Tether (Which also supports the K-x) I don't believe that the K-7 does tethering out of the box. If I recall correctly the K10d is the last body that officially supported tethering with Pentax software.

PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras