Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ordered a used *ist D

So with my K-5 AWOL and only relying on the K-7, I thought I should pickup a second body for a big event I'll be attending in Baltimore called "Otakon" (like 16 hours from where I am). My main criteria was size and then ergonomics were second. I ended up finding a used *ist D for a decent price. After doing more research I was surprised how many ergonomic features it has from the pro segment compared to the *ist DS I use to own.

So with anyone who had or still has this camera, any tips & tricks? I'm looking forward to trying this camera out with my AF280T flash in full TTL mode for one.

I'm just kicking myself a little for selling my FA 50mm f1.4 to help fund the 55mm f1.4 SDM a while back. That and having to buy some CF cards. Hopefully these 16gb cards will work (from the firmware updates list it looks like they should). Not looking forward to bothering with PEF raws again, but I can easily convert them to DNG after the convention.

07-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Dunno if 16GB will work. Largest cards I had or could afford at the time were 512MB.
Not much in the way of tips or tricks... TTL was cool. Prefer it over total PTTL-only.

It does have high-speed sync built into the pop-up flash.
That is nice for very close photos in bright light.
07-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
So with my K-5 AWOL and only relying on the K-7, I thought I should pickup a second body for a big event I'll be attending in Baltimore called "Otakon" (like 16 hours from where I am).

You might see my GF there ...
07-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have owned an *istD since it's release in Nov/03 congrats it is a great camera

As for tricks maybe get a CF -SD card so you only use SD cards. As for memory space the last firmware revision expanded the CF capability to 32GB.

I keep the *istD even though I also have a K10 D and K7D because of the TTL flash

I have mine fitted with a dual diagonal split image for use with MF lenses.

Go out and shoot with it and you will love it

The two negatives ( compared to more modern bodies) are the postage stamp rear display and what now seems like an eternity for the check image to display. When it was new, the speed didn't bother me, but compared to the K7 the delay seems as long as getting images back from my PZ-1

07-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Dunno if 16GB will work. Largest cards I had or could afford at the time were 512MB.
Not much in the way of tips or tricks... TTL was cool. Prefer it over total PTTL-only.

The firmware update list said "add support for cards over 4GB" so I think that means they added FAT32 support. Thanks for the info about TTL.
07-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
You might see my GF there ...
You should go too! I do a lot of cosplay photography at conventions. It's really fun and great practice.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have owned an *istD since it's release in Nov/03 congrats it is a great camera

As for tricks maybe get a CF -SD card so you only use SD cards. As for memory space the last firmware revision expanded the CF capability to 32GB.

I keep the *istD even though I also have a K10 D and K7D because of the TTL flash

The two negatives ( compared to more modern bodies) are the postage stamp rear display and what now seems like an eternity for the check image to display. When it was new, the speed didn't bother me, but compared to the K7 the delay seems as long as getting images back from my PZ-1
Awesome, thanks for the information. I should have posted this before buying memory cards, using a SD converter card is a great idea.
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote

Not only high speed sync but he built in flash can act as the control for HSS with wireless flash. Not sure any later pro"ish" bodies can do this
07-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

07-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Responses....

So with my K-5 AWOL and only relying on the K-7, I thought I should pickup a second body for a big event I'll be attending in Baltimore called "Otakon" (like 16 hours from where I am). My main criteria was size and then ergonomics were second. I ended up finding a used *ist D for a decent price. After doing more research I was surprised how many ergonomic features it has from the pro segment compared to the *ist DS I use to own.

So with anyone who had or still has this camera, any tips & tricks? I'm looking forward to trying this camera out with my AF280T flash in full TTL mode for one.

I'm just kicking myself a little for selling my FA 50mm f1.4 to help fund the 55mm f1.4 SDM a while back. That and having to buy some CF cards. Hopefully these 16gb cards will work (from the firmware updates list it looks like they should). Not looking forward to bothering with PEF raws again, but I can easily convert them to DNG after the convention.
Don't expect current generation performance AT ALL - this camera is SLOW in every respect - SLOWWWWWWWW focussing, much hunting and pecking, SLOW write times, especially with a big card, SLOWWWWWW read times, SLOWWWWWWWWWWW turning-off time (don't know the technical description of that, but if it's writing, especially to a BIG card, it's SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW), and don't expect any decent images above iso 400. It is capable of some great stuff, but did I mention it's SLOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

personally I HATE the flash functionality in the *ist D...with my Metz units, I can only shoot at f=8 or higher, and even that's iffy...with the Pentax units, it's better I guess, but I didn't think flash implementation was a strong feature of this camera. But +1 to the postage stamp sized screen, a joke by todays standards, and did I mention it's SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

Trust me, it's slow...infuriatingly so. A modern $200.00 digicam with a micro-sensor spanks it's sorry ***!

But great images in good light at iso 400 and 200. Shoot RAW - jpegs ARE soft!

Cheers,
Cameron
07-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Don't expect current generation performance AT ALL - this camera is SLOW in every respect - SLOWWWWWWWW focussing, much hunting and pecking, SLOW write times, especially with a big card, SLOWWWWWW read times, SLOWWWWWWWWWWW turning-off time (don't know the technical description of that, but if it's writing, especially to a BIG card, it's SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW), and don't expect any decent images above iso 400. It is capable of some great stuff, but did I mention it's SLOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

personally I HATE the flash functionality in the *ist D...with my Metz units, I can only shoot at f=8 or higher, and even that's iffy...with the Pentax units, it's better I guess, but I didn't think flash implementation was a strong feature of this camera. But +1 to the postage stamp sized screen, a joke by todays standards, and did I mention it's SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

Trust me, it's slow...infuriatingly so. A modern $200.00 digicam with a micro-sensor spanks it's sorry ***!

But great images in good light at iso 400 and 200. Shoot RAW - jpegs ARE soft!

Cheers,
Cameron
Is it slower than the *ist DS? I can't remember having any issues with that camera. Maybe I should have gone with a DS2 for the larger screen, but I was never fond of the DS's hand grip shape and the one I saw was more expensive than the D. I also wanted more professional control with the two control wheels and other additional control buttons. I had a K10D for a while, but it was just too big for my liking as a second body.

By saying you can only shoot at f8 or higher, does that mean a smaller aperture? To use an older flash without HSS in bright situations, something like a neutral density filter needs to be used on the lens, making larger apertures available without overexposure. It will make focus more challenging though.

The 6mp sensor is surprising good for its age. I'll just have to see what I can do with it. I'll most likely be having reasonably fast glass on the camera. I always shoot in RAW format.
07-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Is it slower than the *ist DS? I can't remember having any issues with that camera. Maybe I should have gone with a DS2 for the larger screen, but I was never fond of the DS's hand grip shape and the one I saw was more expensive than the D. I also wanted more professional control with the two control wheels and other additional control buttons. I had a K10D for a while, but it was just too big for my liking as a second body.

By saying you can only shoot at f8 or higher, does that mean a smaller aperture? To use an older flash without HSS in bright situations, something like a neutral density filter needs to be used on the lens, making larger apertures available without overexposure. It will make focus more challenging though.

The 6mp sensor is surprising good for its age. I'll just have to see what I can do with it. I'll most likely be having reasonably fast glass on the camera. I always shoot in RAW format.
don't get too bent out of shape about comments regarding use with third party flashes.

I use an AF500FTZ that I bought with my PZ-1 and had no issue with the TTL at any aperture with any lens, either direct or bounce flash.

as for speed, I went from *istD to K10D so the changes are substantial, i.e. <10 jpegs before th ebuffer is full to contoinuous shooting at 3 FPS until the memory card is full is a big difference in performance. The check display is equally slow but only compared to newer technologies.

Actually it is a very capable camera regardless of all the negativity
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #12

They are a great camera, plenty fast enough for most things.
Probably better pictrure contrast and less noise than alot of the newer models with oversized sensors.
I still use it for tripod work and K100d's for most other things as the bling fast and big sensor cameras don't impress me much.
07-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Not being negative, but realistic...

don't get too bent out of shape about comments regarding use with third party flashes.

I use an AF500FTZ that I bought with my PZ-1 and had no issue with the TTL at any aperture with any lens, either direct or bounce flash.

as for speed, I went from *istD to K10D so the changes are substantial, i.e. <10 jpegs before th ebuffer is full to contoinuous shooting at 3 FPS until the memory card is full is a big difference in performance. The check display is equally slow but only compared to newer technologies.

Actually it is a very capable camera regardless of all the negativity
and I have a 500FTZ as well, and it's the same deal, you can't shoot wide open, you MUST stop down - f8 or smaller.

And I haven't tried to *ist Ds, but will stand by my statements on this camera being SLOW, especially with big cards...PAINFULLY slow. If you can stay with 2 gigs or smaller, you'll be better off.

Great camera at iso 200 and 400. But definitely NOT for sports.

Cheers,
Cameron
07-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just had the camera delivered. Really great. The size is amazing. Guess which lens I instantly put on it? Yep... the DA 40mm f2.8 Limited. The grip is better than the DS, but it could have been better with some extra room for finger tips.

Surprising number of advanced controls and settings. Three custom setting saves. Timer button, green button, flash control button, af button...

I started by turning off all of the extras such as noise reduction and instant preview. With my 16gb CF cards a single RAW writes in around 9 seconds based on one test. Once the image is written, I can press the review button and the image comes up instantly. While I rarely use instant review on my other cameras, I might with this camera as a quick check in the field.

The only thing I see that is slow about the camera is how long it takes to finish writing an image. Everything else is pretty chipper. The buffer is big enough that I can go about my business.

EDIT:
I just connected the AF280T, put it in AUTO TTL
The camera was in normal Program mode and took a shot indoors... 1/60th at f5.6.

Last edited by sjwaldron; 07-22-2011 at 11:55 AM.
07-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All sizes | istd_k7_test | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is a test image to compare the K-7 and *ist D.

31mm f1.8 lens at f5.6
ISO 200
Shutter of 1/125s
AF280T flash in red auto mode.

The *ist D does surprisingly well in my opinion.