Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,594
What kind of a case? Because a bag is a must for me. Obviously memory cards (multiple), rocket blower, micro-fiber cloth, and of course MORE LENSES.

07-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 834
I am using a Pentax 50250 bag! It just happened to be the right size. I brought it at Currys or similar as I simply wanted to get the camera out of the old too small bag into the new one, but when I checked online prices I found none of them seemed to offer free P&P so it wasn't that much different to an online purchase.

But it's such a personal thing. Go and look at bags in shops, take your kit with you, see how it fits, see if you like the fastenings and so on.

BTW someone else had one of these bags and said it fell apart in no time, mine was brought in the winter and is still fine.
07-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,073
Before you start using your camera
cleaning kit - rocket blower and lens pen
camera bag
extra batteries
extra memory card or two
lens hood if it doesn't come with your lens

In the near future
remote
tripod
filters = a good CPL and a ND4 and ND8 filter
M42 adapter
takumars

Maybe extension tubes and/or the Raynox

before you buy your filters you should make a commonality plan - buy filters for your biggest planned lens and step up rings (not step down) - you don't want to buy a set of 49mm filters and then not be able to use them with you new 52mm lens. and then buy another a lens with 62mm filter threads.
07-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fife, Scotland
Posts: 834
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
<snip>
before you buy your filters you should make a commonality plan - buy filters for your biggest planned lens and step up rings (not step down) - you don't want to buy a set of 49mm filters and then not be able to use them with you new 52mm lens. and then buy another a lens with 62mm filter threads.
Or get Cokin-style filters where all you need for lenses with different filter threads is an adapter ring, and they are cheap. If you go this route don't bother with the A-size filters though.

07-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
Well you only have one camera with one lens and I assume there is a card in the camera. So you really don't need anything more.

Buy a good Hoya or B+W UV filter and don't go cheap on it because it is infront of your glass.

With just one lens that never leaves your camera, you don't have to worry about a rocket blower to clean your camera.

A fast card, like SanDisk 32 GB Pro UHS-I card will give you everything you want. If you don't take movieclips (for that a class 6 card is the minimum) and don't shoot in Hi-speed mode then you are good to go with every card that you can find (it may take an extra second).

An external flash is something to think about, but if you are fine without, that is no problem, since I have two Metz flashes and a ringflash and almost never use them.

Look at dealextreme for that 12 $ spare battery, it is fine and just to have it.

The remote F is fine, but who needs it really, there is also a 2 and 12 second delay button.

So to behonest, you don't need anything. How come that I have a thousand things at home?
07-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #21
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,444
Another vote for the grip and extra battery.

If the K5 grip is like the one on my K10 you will also have a place to store an extra memory card and remote. You're not likely to run out of power with this set up. The K5 is so small I would consider the grip essential. I plan to get one when I purchase a K5. If you are going to do any shooting at all with manual focus K,M,A series lenses consider a KatzEye focusing screen. The stock screens are borderline useless for manual focusing.

Tom G
07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Another vote for the grip and extra battery.

If the K5 grip is like the one on my K10 you will also have a place to store an extra memory card and remote. You're not likely to run out of power with this set up. The K5 is so small I would consider the grip essential. I plan to get one when I purchase a K5. If you are going to do any shooting at all with manual focus K,M,A series lenses consider a KatzEye focusing screen. The stock screens are borderline useless for manual focusing.

Tom G
There is no place in the K5/7 grip for a remote. It does make the body size near perfect though and the proprietary battery insert will hold a card (but the AA insert will not). I don't find (by the way) the stock screen on the K5 useless for manual focusing. Your mileage of course may vary.

07-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 148
Don't forget a good graycard (i never leave home without it )



07-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #24
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,444
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There is no place in the K5/7 grip for a remote. It does make the body size near perfect though and the proprietary battery insert will hold a card (but the AA insert will not). I don't find (by the way) the stock screen on the K5 useless for manual focusing. Your mileage of course may vary.

Good to know Jeff. Perhaps useless was a bit strong. Nearly useless was my impression of the K10 stock screen as far as MF goes. Once you have used the KatzEye for manual focus it would be difficult to go back to the stock screen.

Tom G
07-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #25
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Good to know Jeff. Perhaps useless was a bit strong. Nearly useless was my impression of the K10 stock screen as far as MF goes. Once you have used the KatzEye for manual focus it would be difficult to go back to the stock screen.

Tom G
Been there. Had one on the K10d and migrated it to the K20d. Still have the screen, in its box. I found for the most part, that using the split was just as troublesome for me (not that much) as judging sharpness on a matte type screen. In other words, one has to be just as mindful with the KE as they do the matte screen. The Live View on the K7/5 is that good that you can get just as good results by zooming as adding a $105+ screen. This is especially true if you are shooting macros. Catch in Focus is also a nice workaround if need be.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the KE on those cameras but, the viewfinder on the K5 is bright enough that with a little care in setting the diopter and slowing down a little bit in technique, the KE is not needed. Again, someone elses mileage may vary.

07-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Tom S.'s Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,238
Not an accessory, but every photographer can use an assistant:
Attached Images
 
07-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #27
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SK, Canada
Posts: 83
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Not an accessory, but every photographer can use an assistant:
I was going to add something, but now I can't remember what I was going to say .
07-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #28
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Leicester, England
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 89
A hotshoe spirit level, if one isn't built into your tripod.
07-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #29
Pentaxian
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,444
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Been there. Had one on the K10d and migrated it to the K20d. Still have the screen, in its box. I found for the most part, that using the split was just as troublesome for me (not that much) as judging sharpness on a matte type screen. In other words, one has to be just as mindful with the KE as they do the matte screen. The Live View on the K7/5 is that good that you can get just as good results by zooming as adding a $105+ screen. This is especially true if you are shooting macros. Catch in Focus is also a nice workaround if need be.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the KE on those cameras but, the viewfinder on the K5 is bright enough that with a little care in setting the diopter and slowing down a little bit in technique, the KE is not needed. Again, someone elses mileage may vary.


Again good to know. I'll bow to the voice of experience here.

I'm saving for a K5 and I still use a lot of manual focus lenses. No one will be happier than myself if there is no need to purchase another expensive KatzEye.

Tom G
07-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Again good to know. I'll bow to the voice of experience here.

I'm saving for a K5 and I still use a lot of manual focus lenses. No one will be happier than myself if there is no need to purchase another expensive KatzEye.

Tom G
You may still decide you want one but I would suggest holding on to the money until you know that for sure. The money you save may buy you a spiffy new (used) lens or two.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accessories for k-x? mom2mny Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 9 05-01-2011 10:25 AM
Must have accessories for a K-X? shakeresistant Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 50 10-15-2010 09:46 AM
Accessories on ebay ZeGuru Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 09-13-2009 02:35 AM
Recommended Accessories mercyreaper Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 20 08-13-2009 02:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top