Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
TAv Mode

I had a use for TAv mode while on vacation. I was at a museum, light levels weren't so great and flash photography was not allowed. So I put the camera in TAv mode. I had my 24/2.5 prime on the camera. I set Tv to 1/25 (reciprocal of focal length for reducing the effect of camera shake), set Av to 3.2 which is much sharper than 2.5 on this lens and set Auto ISO between 100 and 3200 and then shot! It worked out well, some pictures are a bit noisy (as to be expected) but by setting these parameters I didn't need to worry too much about my current ISO and shutter speed, I could just let the camera work it out. Thanks Pentax for including such a useful feature!

07-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good post (+1). I rarely use this mode but when I do, it's like - duh! of course that's what I needed.
07-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

TAv mode works the best with the sensor like k-5 where noise is not a problem using high ISO. Unfortunately it is not available in k-x or k-r (probably not easy to do without two dials). I use TAv mode a lot with my k-7 (iso range 100-1600) when I don't use the flash; as the OP suggest works best in situations inside the Museum or Church. Only high-end DSLR has this feature.
07-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, I'm telling you, TAv is soo useful for sports shooting in low lighting. A lot of times when I'm shooting sports in a gym, there are parts that are lit better (also depending on the background) and other parts that are lit worse, with TAv I can get a consistent shutter speed (to slow of a shutter speed makes things blurry) and exposure.

07-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
TAv is my preferred mode for low light, wildlife and sports. I don't usually want the lens wide open, and shutter speeds get too low (shake, motion blur) or wastefully high if you let the camera decide.