Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Which kx deal is better?

Hi, I'm new to this forum. After much consideration, I've decided to get a kx (it'll be my first slr). So which deal do you guys think is better if I get a used one.

1) red colour w/ 18-55mm and 8GB card and 2 stands; no scratches
(used less than 10 times...not sure that comment is useful)
$400

2) white colour w/ 18-55mm and 50-200mm, 1 stand, less than 500 actualizations; no scratches
$475

I really don't think I'll use the 50-200mm, but I can sell it? If I sell it, will it be enough to buy a M 50mm f1.4?

I'm getting quite fond of the red color, but maybe its one of those things that I'll find blinding after a while. I'll be heading home to Canada soon; if I don't end up liking the camera, would a red kx be difficult to sell?

My mom is seriously against used goods. She wants me to spend 800 on a GF3, but I've gotten addicted to the viewfinder. Anyone with seriously bad experience with used cameras? Would getting a new one be worth the cost and the carfuffle with amazon?

Thanks =)

p.s. ( have a lot of red shoes and pink bags, even my suitcase is pink; I think a red camera might seriously give me a clash problem.

07-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thea Quote
I really don't think I'll use the 50-200mm, but I can sell it? If I sell it, will it be enough to buy a M 50mm f1.4?
You'll get $50-$100 for it, so yes, most likely!

If you'd rather have a new camera, the red K-r kit is only $609. While there's usually nothing wrong with used dslrs, you never know!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to by used, consider some well-respected places with a clearly-stated return policy, incl. keh.com, adorama.com (used) and B&H (used).

Alternately, if you can addord $600, go for the newer K-r in Red (off course). The K-r is an enhanced K-x.

Hope that the comment will help.
07-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You have to think about warranty issues. If you buy a new camera from an American dealer and bring it home to Canada, your warranty is only good in the US. Here is a link to a Canadian eBay seller (an authorized Pentax dealer) for a red K-r. NEW Pentax K-r Digital SLR Red w/18-55mm Lens Kit | eBay If you buy and have the K-r delivered to you while you are in the US, you wouldn't have to pay GST or HST (though you might have to pay duty in the US), and when you are back in Canada you will have valid Canadian warranty for your K-r. I think this might be the best scenario for your first DSLR purchase.

Thanks,