Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question regarding on Pentax K-7. =)

Hi fellow Pentaxians! I've just upgraded to Pentax K-7. It's a big step for me from K110D and *ist DS, I'm bit confused with the so many settings. hehe.

Anyway, here's my question: Every time after I click the shutter release button, there's a little sound that I hear after the shutter clicks. It sounds similar to the dust removal shake. Is that normal? hehe...

07-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It may be. I can't say I ever noticed any noise after a shutter click on the K7 other than possibly the lens aperture reopening. Does the camera take photos? Does it take the photos you expect?

07-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
It may be. I can't say I ever noticed any noise after a shutter click on the K7 other than possibly the lens aperture reopening. Does the camera take photos? Does it take the photos you expect?

Yup. There's no problem with the photos, and I still expect the result that I've wanted.
Hmmm... Yeah, possibly the aperture reopening. hehe... I'll test it with my other lenses. I noticed the sound with the Pentax M 50mm 1.4 on.
07-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

richard

welcome to the K7 club

The sound is perfectly normal and is always there as long as SR is turned on, it makes a different sound with SR turned off, although I never paid much attention to it.

From My perspective, and please take this in some spirit of good humor , if pentax had intended you to stick the camera in your ear, they would have made it a different shape

As for the numerous options, I can't even use the 4 letter acronym RTFM, because it will only confuse you more

Go out and shoot and enjoy, it is a great camera.

p.s I hope you didn;t get rid of the DS because it can perform both TTL and P-TTL flash, which is useful on legacy lenses

07-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
richard

welcome to the K7 club

The sound is perfectly normal and is always there as long as SR is turned on, it makes a different sound with SR turned off, although I never paid much attention to it.

From My perspective, and please take this in some spirit of good humor , if pentax had intended you to stick the camera in your ear, they would have made it a different shape

As for the numerous options, I can't even use the 4 letter acronym RTFM, because it will only confuse you more

Go out and shoot and enjoy, it is a great camera.

p.s I hope you didn;t get rid of the DS because it can perform both TTL and P-TTL flash, which is useful on legacy lenses
Ah, great! hehe. I was like thinking, what was that sound all about, especially that it's different from my older DSLRs. hehe.
And, oh yeah, I still use my DS. True, it's my only DSLR camera that can fully use all the functions of my Pentax AF 500FTZ flash, which it's a TTL, unlike the K100D or K-7. hehe. And, by the way, thank you..!
07-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Richard

Welcome to the forum and the K-7 community. The K-7 is a grest camera and you will enjoy it.

When I started, there were few things that help me. I share these below as these might be useful:

- Take the time to read the instruction manual. There are some very useful informations.

- Use centre focus.

- Dust removal at startup. (It costs nothing and will help to keep the sensor clean.)

- SR on. Unless you use a tripod, SR is really heplful. On the topic of SR, do rember than the SR confrmation takes 1-2 s: the hand symbol in the view finder. Do wait SR confirmation before shooting.

- Get a good quality card. Nothing more frustrating than loosing shots because of defective card. In addition, the K-7 has an outstanding capability for Hi continuous shooting, but you need to use a fast card (class 10 or better). It is worth to upgrade your card if you have not done it.

Hope that the comments will help.

Last edited by hcc; 07-22-2011 at 04:55 PM.
07-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ hcc

Thank you for the warm welcome! hehe. Yeah, I was trying to read the K-7s user's manual, but man, it's a thick manual. hehe. And, thank you very much for the tip and thank you for the help..! =)
07-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you'll really like it. Biggest thing coming from a K100 to the K7 is that the responsiveness of the camera is so much faster with the k7 (It is what? three generations newer?). It is also a lot easier to change settings on it than with K100/* ist DS. Play around with things and don't hesitate to ask more specific questions.

07-23-2011, 06:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

from KX to K7

Hi, I am in kind of similar situation.
just added K7 to my KX very recently.
K7 is very enjoyable camera indeed , but..... two disappointing matters to note ( obviously on top of well known poor low light performance fact against KX):
1/ the battery(!) , with my KX I could get 600 shots from good AA rechargeables and 700-800 from Lithium ( absolute bonus while traveling) , with K7 ~ 250.
2/ focus confirmation with manual lenses seems to be worse with K7 than KX
Both on Av and single central focus point selected.
I took today for a ride my old M42 SUPER YASHINON-R 135MM 2.8 and KX could confirm focus up to F8, K7 was straggling with F5.6
could that be possibly related to KX better low light performance?
nevertheless it did not really matter because that lens is a preset aperture ( has two aperture rings) and I could focus while wide open but still as a matter of curiosity why much more expensive K7 performs poorer against KX?

Last edited by i_trax; 07-23-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: mistake
07-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I can't tell you exactly how many shots per charge I get, but I know it's way more than 250. Last week I did a lot of shooting to catch lightning, using the interval timer. The rear LCD isn't on much, no popup flash, no auto-focus, but exposure times from 4 sec. to 30 sec., 99 shots with 1 second in between, at least 1000 shots per battery. I have taken spare batteries on vacation and never used them, at least 500 shots per trip. I don't make any special effort to conserve power but I do use manual focus a lot.
07-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

well, that must be the time to get some new batteries, those I got with the camera and are ~ 15 months old ( I believe ). So how long do they last in close to 100% capacity?
07-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
I've had my k7 since Nov '09 and I'm pretty sure I've only recharged the batteries six times. I don't know why I know this, but I do. I do have the grip and two OEM batteries. I have over 10,400 photos on the camera (and batteries).