Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Just Pulled the Trigger on K-x kit

Hello Everyone! Recent newbie to this forum.

Just bought via Ebay a new K-x kit with the 18-55 and 55-300 lenses.

Have spent the past 8 or so years with a Panasonic superzoom, but decided to get back to where I need to be. For many years back in the late 1960s and 1970s I had Nikon stuff with those great old Nikkor lenses. I sure enjoyed photography back then.

I have a question. After searching and studying, I see that quite a number of you have praised the virtues of both the F and FA 50mm f1.7 Pentax lenses. I am thinking of trying to get one. Do you think I would enjoy one of those over the 18-55mm kit lens?

Thanks!

07-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
simple answer: yes

its faster, smaller, sharper and has some amazing rendering. Downside is, its not the f1.4 and it doesnt zoom, although once you get your hands on it, i don't think you'll mind =)
07-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing the info adpo. Guess I will be on the look-out for the f1.4 versions as well ---- assuming my pocketbook can stand it!
07-22-2011, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

well, you're on these forums now, you should be prepared for a severe case of LBA

07-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard. I too came from the Panasonic SuperZoom P&S to the K-x kit (same one too) about 10 months ago. I'll put my plug in for the FA50/1.4 (with a hood) but yes, the primes are great. One of the BIG draws for me in choosing Pentax is the great range of legacy lenses from film. I have gotten some amazing deals on some incredible glass because they were manual focus.
07-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

LBA : Lens Buying Addiction. It is a plague disease on this site.
07-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
LBA : Lens Buying Addiction. It is a plague disease on this site.
Funny you should mention that:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/152593-lens-bu...ml#post1586191
07-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
adpo and Bramela: Ha, ha! At my age, LBA is very similar to my addictions on various other things like camping gear, knives, guns, flashlights, ....... Suppose a 12 step program is in order for me!

Docrwm. Thanks for sharing about your move from Pan superzoom to Pentax. Sounds like you are happy with your move. For sure I will see what I can find on some good primes. In my old Nikon days, I had a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 that was just simply superb. Looking forward to going back home, as it were!

07-22-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, also I want to add that one of several reasons why I chose Pentax is for another addiction I have: amateur astronomy. I have more invested in lenses than the telescope itself.

I found that for telescope lenses, there are several makers that are considered in the upper class: Nagler and Pentax to name two. I have a Pentax 8.5mm that is outstanding.

So, I said to myself, if Pentax makes such good stuff for telescopes, then I should give them a go. Next thing you know, I am on this forum, and, .... here I am.
07-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altovintner Quote
adpo and Bramela: Ha, ha! At my age, LBA is very similar to my addictions on various other things like camping gear, knives, guns, flashlights, ....... Suppose a 12 step program is in order for me!

Docrwm. Thanks for sharing about your move from Pan superzoom to Pentax. Sounds like you are happy with your move. For sure I will see what I can find on some good primes. In my old Nikon days, I had a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 that was just simply superb. Looking forward to going back home, as it were!
I still use my ZS-5 because it is a superb little camera with great reach. Yes, I love the K-x. Its been a VERY reliable camera that I have have really enjoyed relearning SLR and learning dSLR stuff. The FA50/1.4 is dissed here a bit but when you put a hood on it its a great lens. The less expensive way to go prime is the new DA35/2.4. I would also suggest that you look at Pentax-M lenses as they tend to be really cheap for what you get. LBA is getting to me but I keep finding deals like a 45+- year old bellows for macro work in its original box and sleeve for $9

Welcome Aboard.
07-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

One thing to keep in mind your 50mm Nikkor was on a film camera which was the full 35mm size. Most DSLR's including Pentax are a crop of a full 35mm film frame. With a Pentax you can multiply any lens you buy for it by 1.5 to get the focal length equivalent on a film camera.

In other words, you'd want a 35mm Pentax lens if you want the same field of view as the 50mm Nikkor on film.

The fast 50 on a Pentax dlsr is really a fast 75.

The 35mm f/2.8 macro lens is great and reasonably priced. There is also a wonderful 31mm f/1.8 that has a cult following and is something special. Either of them would be a great fast or semi fast 50.
07-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
One thing to keep in mind your 50mm Nikkor was on a film camera which was the full 35mm size. Most DSLR's including Pentax are a crop of a full 35mm film frame. With a Pentax you can multiply any lens you buy for it by 1.5 to get the focal length equivalent on a film camera.

In other words, you'd want a 35mm Pentax lens if you want the same field of view as the 50mm Nikkor on film.

The fast 50 on a Pentax dlsr is really a fast 75.

The 35mm f/2.8 macro lens is great and reasonably priced. There is also a wonderful 31mm f/1.8 that has a cult following and is something special. Either of them would be a great fast or semi fast 50.
Hi RyanW. Well said! Thanks for reminding me of that. Now, having said that, you have actually urged me to jump right into LBA! Ha, ha.
07-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by altovintner Quote
Hi RyanW. Well said! Thanks for reminding me of that. Now, having said that, you have actually urged me to jump right into LBA! Ha, ha.
Ah, the Siren Call!
07-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

luckily for you, there exists a facility on the forum to feed your LBA desires: the marketplace
07-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Welcome altovintner!

I have a similar background in that I came to Pentax from a Fuji superzoom and prior to used to shoot for years with a Canon AE1 SLR.

While I absolutely love my K-x, it did take me a little while to start getting reasonable consistent photos out of my K-x. Despite owning a SLR and Superzoom previously there is still a bit of a learning curve. The break through for me was setting single point - centre focus (compose focus recompose) and leaving the mode dial on P most of the time (M rest of time). The P mode on Pentax is brilliant - turning the E Wheel effectively changes to Av mode, but you have the benefit of being able to take quick shots in autoexposure to start with.

There is some great old Pentax glass around at good prices - so enjoy!