Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Held the K10D today..

And.. well...

At the risk of alienating just about everyone...

It was just Eh.

With the battery grip, I'd probably like it a lot more.. but it felt short in my hand.

Build quality is definitely right up there.. but I didn't notice anything that made me go.. *OMG!*

but then.. maybe it shouldn't have to right?

Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical and losing my love for photography all around.. but I just can't get excited about this. I want to save money for it.. but I just can't find it in me to be as determined about it as I was to get the DS.

I almost feel.. like I'm betraying everyone and everything Pentax.

Bleh.

12-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

To be honest I preferred the grip on the K100d over the K10d..

I also preferred the DS grip over the D, same problem it was too shallow.. But after adding the grip the D was much better than the DS..

I have ordered the K10d grip too ;-)
12-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
And.. well...

It was just Eh.

With the battery grip, I'd probably like it a lot more.. but it felt short in my hand.

Build quality is definitely right up there.. but I didn't notice anything that made me go.. *OMG!*

Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical and losing my love for photography all around.. but I just can't get excited about this. I want to save money for it.. but I just can't find it in me to be as determined about it as I was to get the DS.

Bleh.
Don't worry about it - it's only a camera. There are far more important things in life - family, friends, beer....
12-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And.. well...

It was just Eh.

Bleh.
Not a big deal, but IMO holding the K10D feels much better than all the others. Since it's bigger, it has a much more professional feel, and I can't complain about the grip at all.

Just my $0.02 thoughts...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

i have just spent a couple of years simply taking pictures during trips and such.. even left my best cameras at home.. i bought a new camera to bring back the "obsession".. he he..

its infected me with a different unplanned for kind of obsession thow.. the lens buying variety.. he he

if u are not ready for your next obsessive phase its not something u can force.. every eighteen months (upgrade time) i become a computer geek.. it lasts about six months then sanity returns and i simply use the machine.. i move from one "interest" to another and back again.. but its not something i am entirely in control of.. when it happens it happens..

trog
12-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical and losing my love for photography all around.. but I just can't get excited about this.
I go through cycles like this too. I've currently got several hundred dollars of climbing equipment sitting around and collecting dust because I don't have it in me to go climb. I've had several talks with the folks closest to me about it--but in the end it just comes down to the individual and how they feel.

You shouldn't feel like you're betraying anyone, much less a company, if you don't run right out to buy the latest. Perhaps you should just set things aside until you have the interest again. It will come back.
12-17-2006, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey Glen,

Don't feel like you have to justify yourself for not getting excited about it. Thank the gods that you're not poor Phil Askey, who did everything but wet himself over the camera and got raked over the coals by the idiotocracy O'er There. Last time I looked, your DS was still taking perfectly fine photos. Save your money and get some nice glass instead.

Cheers

-E
12-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I handled both the K10 and the K100 a couple weeks ago.

For me anyway the K100, while comfortable to hold, was so short that I had to slip my little finger under the camera. The K10 was tall enough that I could hold it in a more normal fashion with four fingers on the grip.

For handling alone a preferred (barely) the K10 but these are both sweet cameras.

Right now in my life I'm getting back into serious (?) photography after many years absence so reading about Pentax and Nikon offerings is fun for me. Decided Pentax was the way to go although my long-gone film cameras were Nikon.

Of course my wife wonders why I'm spending so much time researching cameras, reading forum posts and such. Her attitude is, "Just buy a camera!"

She just doesn't understand (She'll really be scratching her head when I start lens chasing) why it's such a big deal.

Dan

12-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually, I agree with you. When I first got mine, I did not know what to do with the last 2 fingers on my right hand. It is a bit uncomfortable. The grip is really comfy with the battery grip, though. I really like having the secondary controls in portait mode. The only problem I have is pretty nit picky. The darn strap falls right in front of the viewfinder. You get used to this camera pretty quickly.

If you don't feel overwhelmed by the camera, then Pentax did a good job. You should be able to just pick it up and take pictures with it. On the other hand, if you are happy with your DS, keep it. It still takes great pics. I've kept one of mine.

Cheers
-Alan
12-17-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
Forum Member

Every now and then I become totally uninterested in a hobby - be it photography or even listening to music. It usually means I need a break, and I leave it for about half a year.

If it's just specific about the K10D - maybe what you've got already is all you need?

Duncan.
12-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duncan J Murray Quote
Every now and then I become totally uninterested in a hobby - be it photography or even listening to music. It usually means I need a break, and I leave it for about half a year.

If it's just specific about the K10D - maybe what you've got already is all you need?

Duncan.
I definitely need a new camera.. my DS is.. very well used. A decent back-up camera, but I need something new that hasn't been banged around so badly.

I'm considering the K100D now. I get a heck of a discount on it from Future Shop, where I work.. Could probably pick one up for $600 or so Cdn.

Still.. There's that part of me that is a little tired of always settling for something and not getting "the best". heh. I think what it is is that I was expecting it to *make* me suddenly be all happy and excited again.. and that's entirely not the camera's fault.