Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2007, 06:11 AM   #1

Arctic Butterfly

Hi All,

I just ordered an Arctic Butterfly to clean my sensor. My question is has anyone who has one of these used it to clean their focus screen? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a problem as it's only a piece of plastic but I'm curious if anyone has done it and if there were any problems. I have a fair amount of dust on mine and need to clean it and figured this might be a good tool to use as it uses a static charge to pick up the loose dust particles. The only thing I can think of to be careful of would be to not apply very much pressure which you don't do with the Butterfly to begin with.

Any thoughts?

11-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slick Quote
I just ordered an Arctic Butterfly to clean my sensor. My question is has anyone who has one of these used it to clean their focus screen? (snip)

Any tool used to clean the image sensor probably should not be used to also clean the focusing screen. Tools to clean these delicate areas should be used for one thing, and one thing only (the sensor or the focusing screen, but not both), and, in the case of the Arctic Butterfly and similar products, used sparingly to reduce the buildup of dirt and dust on the brush filaments.

I recommend using another cleaning method for the focusing screen. With the K10D, the screen can be removed and gently cleaned using warm (not hot) water with dish soap, lens cleaning fluid, or a simular mild (non-alcohol, non-ammonia, non-petroleum based) cleaning agent. To avoid scratches, do not scrub or wipe hard. For the same reason, also do not wipe the screen dry afterwards, but instead pat to remove visible water and allow to air dry fully before placing it back in the camera.

Since the surface coating can be damaged very easily, I do not recommend cleaning the mirror if it can at all be avoided. After all, dust here has no effect on the final image since the mirror raises out of the way during exposure. However, if you absolutely must clean the mirror, use diluted alcohol (40-70% pure), a lint-free Q-tip-like product (cleaning swab), and be extremely gentle. Any streaks from the alcohol will likely disappear after a few hours, but scratches are clearly there to stay.

stewart
11-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice Stewart. What you said makes sense. Sorry it took me a while to reply. I got the Arctic Butterfly and have used it to clean some spots off my sensor. It took a couple of times to get them all but it worked.

FWIW, Visible Dust seems to be a good company. I'm having trouble keeping the brush on the wand, it comes off usually within a couple of seconds when I'm spinning it to charge the brush. I emailed them today asking if it's something I was doing wrong or missing. They replied within a couple of hours and are sending me a new brush. Great customer service as far as I'm concerned.

I did manage to make it stay on long enough to use it but it was a hassle.

Just wanted to put that out there.
11-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

After looking over my reply, one thought should have added for clarification. Before deep cleaning either the focusing screen or mirror as described in my previous message, first attempt to remove dust with a blower or disposable brush. Even a second Arctic Butterfly could be used if you're loaded with money.

In other words, I would not resort to the more aggressive cleaning methods described in my previous message unless the other less intrusive options described in the previous paragraph fail. Indeed, I would even try a blower on the image sensor first before finally resorting to the Arctic Butterfly to clean that.

The general idea is to use the very least intrusive method possible to clean anything inside the camera, only stepping up to more intrusive options where absolutely necessary. That about covers it. Good luck.

stewart