Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Screen Protectors

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently came across some new screen protectors for my phone. If fits most of my camera's screen.
My question is since it has a sticky side, will it eventually damge the screen, in that if I ever take it off, the "stickiness" will still be there? Does anyone have any experience with these things?
thanks!
Jake

07-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Could put on a glass 'protector' that sticks to the camera body to take the knocks and scratches (such as Delkin Pop Up Shade Universal 3.0" LCD Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics - can take the shade off or find something without a shade) then put your anti-glare or whatever films on that.
07-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FrumPilot Quote
I recently came across some new screen protectors for my phone. If fits most of my camera's screen.
My question is since it has a sticky side, will it eventually damge the screen, in that if I ever take it off, the "stickiness" will still be there? Does anyone have any experience with these things?
thanks!
Jake
I've got screen protectors for both the main and top screens on my K20d. The stickiness doesn't remain on the screens when the protectors are removed.
07-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here, I tried one on my Samsung Point and Shoot, didn't want to put it on the K-x until I knew what it would do. Wasn't impressed and took it off after 2 or 3 weeks, no sticky left behind that I could notice.

07-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The screen protectors I've seen have the adhesive on the borders (black borders that line up with the black borders of your camera screen). The clear bit has no adhesive.

That could be an option if you are wary of the peel and stick protectors.
07-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Anyone figure out if we can do this with our screens?

5D - Broken LCD Protector Repair Tutorial - Canon Digital Photography Forums
07-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #7

Phone screen protectors are static cling 99% of the time, I believe. That won't leave a residue, and will offer some protection.

I use the GGS screen protector for my K-x, it sells for almost nothing and sticks around the edges of the display -- not on the LCD itself. It's pretty thick, and I don't think it degrades the quality too much. It's just like what JinDesu described. Take your time to apply it, as you only get one shot.

Amazon.com: GGS DSLR LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector for Pentax K-X Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

07-29-2011, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Anyone figure out if we can do this with our screens?

5D - Broken LCD Protector Repair Tutorial - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Yes, long before the post above. Even looks as if he found my post . Whats funny is nothing is better looking than the LCD cover. Its there to protect the LCD itself. The cover is made out of Polycarbonate and is very tough. I use to use screen protectors, no way now, as there is no reason to do so IMO. I now save a lot of money buy not having to buy them. When I want I have more K20D screens and two-way preshaped tape to put on if needed. The parts were so cheap it was funny (I mean pennies) and shipping cost the most. So I made the most out of shipping and told the lady to give me a few of each!

The link you give shows the exact type suction cup I used.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/103880-lcd-screen-...-yes-no-2.html
07-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Yes, long before the post above. Even looks as if he found my post . Whats funny is nothing is better looking than the LCD cover. Its there to protect the LCD itself. The cover is made out of Polycarbonate and is very tough. I use to use screen protectors, no way. I now save a lot of money buy not having to buy them. When I want I have more K20D screens and two-way preshaped tape to put on if needed. The parts were so cheap it was funny (I mean pennies) and shipping cost the most. So I made the most out of shipping and told the lady to give me a few of each!

The link you give shows the exact type suction cup I used.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/103880-lcd-screen-...-yes-no-2.html
By the way, thanks for posting that info! I found it a few weeks ago after buying a K20D with a huge scratch down half the rear LCD cover. (the ad said it had a few 'unobtrusive marks"). Anyway, I called Pentax, got the replacement parts 2 weeks later (they were back-ordered) and within 5 minutes I had a brand new LCD window on the body, good as new.

BTW, if anyone happens to need one for their K20D, I bought and have an extra set that I just threw up on the marketplace this afternoon (shipping was fixed and considerably higher than the cost of the parts themselves so I bought an extra).
07-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #10
Inactive Account

these things are a waste of time i've had my k10 from new and never used one, no scratches either
08-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

In my experience the glass GGS are the only ones worth using. Tough as an old boot, cheap, easy to clean and to apply, since you don't have to worry about removing all and every bit of dust and lint before sticking them on.

The plastic film ones tend to go yellow after a while and look cr*p,
08-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
these things are a waste of time i've had my k10 from new and never used one, no scratches either
+1. The materials used now are scratch resistant - you can scratch them, but in those situations you can probably scratch them through the screen protector too.
08-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the GGS one. I like it. I did mess up and got two bubbles/dust particles under it, but they aren't noticeable unless the screen is blank. It's nice to know the screen is protected and it cost less than $5 shipped from Amazon. Plus, if I decide I don't like it anymore for whatever reason, it'll be easy enough to take off with hair dryer and dental floss, I'd expect.