Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

SD Card lost images

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this problem. I shot 150 or so images water skiing on the lake, then the camera said No Image. It might have gotten too hot in the sun? Loading the card in PC, I get folder is empty.

I have tried several recovery utilities and they all find a low resolution TIF of the lost images. THe images were recorded in RAW (DNG), so I was wondering it the TIF was just what it saves for the preview? Is there somethign about the way it saves RAW files that makes the standard recovery utility fail?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,
Andy

07-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is difficult to pass you accurate infor without knowing which recovery software was used. I used and can recommend Recuva (Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download).

When you recover the file, the file extension is sometimes lost and you may need to rename the file with the proper file extension (.DNG, .JPG) before you can read it with a photo software.

Hope that the comment will assist.
07-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Same topic was over at strobist group on flickr recently: Flickr: Discussing [OT] how to recover delited images from memory card in Strobist.com

They also suggested Recuva as well as "Photo Rescue".. and one guy that does it at a camera store said be sure to try a few programs as often one works where others wont... *shrug*
07-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As far as I know there are no separate TIFF files on the card. Some recovery utilities care about file extensions, and if you ask for photos, may not understand that DNG is a photo format (some software typically associates JPEG with photos.) You would want to tell the utility, if it asks, to try to recover any file type from the card.

I've never heard of heat erasing files, although it can physically damage the card.

Paul

07-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The two oft recommended recovery utilities are:

Recuva
this is by Piriform the people who published cCleaner one of the most useful utiltities for the PC.

PhotoRec
comprehensive looking Wiki on their site.

Might want to look at this thread:
Photo Recovery
07-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can wholeheartedly vouch for Recuva and its undeleting/unerasing features.

You can have it look for specific files and extensions, or for all files. It's a powerful tool and very likely to recover your items in minutes.
02-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I haven't had trouble with (good) SD Cards in hot weather yet (so hot I couldn't hold the battery grip - 34c). Whats the quality of the card?

I was warned about using cheap/3rd party SD Cards when I bought my K7. The tendency to fail is more likely so than SanDisk and other "Brand" versions.

The other thing I always do, is to reformat my card every time I put it back in the camera and not rely on just simple deletion on the computer. This goes back to really old machine technology. where a old machine I use to work on wouldn't read/write on a floppy disk unless it was formated on that machine (matching read/write structure)

02-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I recently made a trip to the Kennedy Space Center and when I got back to my hotel room I accidentally deleted all my pictures before transferring them off my memory card and onto my computer. I quickly searched for recovery programs and had great success with a couple, Recuva, and Cardrecovery. They both recovered all but a couple of my photos. I shoot in RAW as well and one of them actually lets you search for Pentax PEF files which recovered more photos than any other searches. I would try 3 or 4 different programs and try each one a few times.