Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #1

K-7

I have a K-7
my hot shoe brock and the store where I bought it from said that was a commen thing with the K-7 they hade a lot of complante about it SO Its defected and the company hear in CANADA said its not coverd under warrenty its going to cost me just a little less then $500 dollers to fix
SO WARNNING ANY ONE THNATS CONSIDERING THE K-7 DONT

Last edited by Parallax; 07-25-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Restored to original version
07-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many K-7 users here (and not) who have a K-7 and never have encountered this problem. I don't believe there is an innate hotshoe problem with the K-7, but as with anything, there are limits to how much beating the gear can take before it breaks.

There is no cause for avoiding the camera over such a concern.
07-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
K-7

I go and put a external flash on my camera for the first time i was purchacing at the camera store and it happen their and thats when i found out i was not the first with that make no problems with my k200 and istdl
owell what u going todo
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wewillie46 Quote
I have a K-7
my hot shoe brock and the store where I bought it from said that was a commen thing with the K-7 they hade a lot of complante about it SO Its defected and the company hear in CANADA said its not coverd under warrenty its going to cost me just a little less then $500 dollers to fix
Just because you experience the problem doesn't mean others will. Please be considerate for others with you claim... I have my K-7 for over a year... nothing wrong with the hot shoe. Perhaps Pentax Canada considers the camera had been handled improperly, other than manufacture defect, otherwise, it should have been covered under warranty.

07-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You should do what you feel is best for you.
If you're happy with your K200D/*ist DL, then stick with those.
Otherwise, consider getting another K-7 elsewhere - or better still, go for a K-5.
07-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The shoe is metal, and it's screwed into the magnesium alloy top plate of the camera. I can see why your warranty claim wasn't honored. They don't believe you.
07-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There are many K-7 users here (and not) who have a K-7 and never have encountered this problem.
I agree with Ash. This is the first report of a hotshoe problem with a K-7 ever reported in this forum to the best of my knowledge.
07-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wewillie46 Quote
the store where I bought it from said that was a commen thing with the K-7 they hade a lot of complante about it SO Its defected

Have no problem understanding OP's issue but have problem understanding the store claimed it is common and also OPs warning others base merely on someone else unfounded claim.

07-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had my K7 since it first came out and have never had this problem, nor ever heard about it happening. This is the first time I have read about it on here. Are you sure you didn't drop your camera with the flash attatched?

Just because of one incident, doesn't mean everybody should avoid it alltogether. If I buy a new car and have a flat tire on the way home, should everybody avoid that manufacturer because of my incident?
07-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hmmm... I've just got my K7 few days ago, but before I bought it and since the K7 came out from the market, I really researched it well and had been reading pros and cons, reports and problems from different users. And that, I haven't encountered or read anything about such hot-shoe problem. In fact, this is the first I saw.
Anyway, it's still good that the K7 has a X-Sync port where you can connect a trigger for flash... =)
07-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have heard of this being a common problem for Canon's, but never for Pentax. The store was simply making it up or thinking of all those 50D's with that problem.
07-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Site Supporter

I have used the K7 since 2009 and have never encountered the problem OP is having. Shop assistant is also making false claims about the issue as we in Singapore do not have this issue at all.

OP, how did yours break?
07-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if it is common with the K7, then it will be with the K5 too, since their body style is exactly the same. At the same time, I haven't seen reports of this before and trust me, when people have trouble, they bring it to the forums. Seems to me that your camera store was just making stuff up.
07-26-2011, 06:10 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I think the store owners are full of shiznit. I've heard of broken flash shoes on cameras that were Dropped with a flash mounted (K10d) but never one Just breaking off. I had the K7 for a year and put a flash on many many times, Never a problem. I don't use flash much with the K5 because it isn't necessary for me as much. If the flash shoes on these cameras were breaking regularly, you can bet your rear end there would be holy hell raised around here about it. I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

07-26-2011, 06:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

I think the store owners are full of shiznit. I've heard of broken flash shoes on cameras that were Dropped with a flash mounted (K10d) but never one Just breaking off. I had the K7 for a year and put a flash on many many times, Never a problem. I don't use flash much with the K5 because it isn't necessary for me as much. If the flash shoes on these cameras were breaking regularly, you can bet your rear end there would be holy hell raised around here about it. I just don't see it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places?

I have Jeff's K7 and in the intervening time it's seen use with the flash in a club environment (the flash itself is starting to fall apart from this) but the shoe is no problem, never had the issue with my K10 or *istDS either - or for that matter even my MZ5n which I fell with on some rocks and broke the flash off but the camera was fine
I agree with Jeff the store is full of it