Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2007, 09:28 AM   #16

I was contemplating the same exact thing you were, do I get the K10D or do I wait? But honestly the K10D is more camera than you will need for a very very very long time (if not forever) and right now the price is amazing. K10D+Kit lens is $650 with the rebate!!! I went with the K10D and am loving it a lot. I say go with the K10D, you won't regret it.

11-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
It is said thath K200 will practically be a renamed K10. Though i am almost sure it will lack it's weather seals, because K200 will be a starting-level camera, and it should be worse then K20 in many points (damn marketing). So I'd get K10 now... Which I actually did.
Yeah, I think it'll probably also lack the second scroll wheel (and therefore hyperprogram), and also all the other physical buttons and switches that are really the main reason I recommend the K10D over the K100D in this case.

There will also certainly be features left out of the software for the marketing reasons you mention -- rear curtain flash sync, advanced exposure bracketing, probably the nifty raw-development-in-camera, fractional-stop ISO options, etc., etc. Oh, and the user-definable "USER" mode. If Pentax does include that sort of thing on their entry-level model I'll be shocked and impressed, and they're all exactly things one might want as a photo hobbyist.

Last edited by mattdm; 11-23-2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo
11-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by AKiss20 Quote
I was contemplating the same exact thing you were, do I get the K10D or do I wait? But honestly the K10D is more camera than you will need for a very very very long time (if not forever) and right now the price is amazing. K10D+Kit lens is $650 with the rebate!!! I went with the K10D and am loving it a lot. I say go with the K10D, you won't regret it.
OMG 650$ for a kit plus rebate! I am totally jealous! For me it was (and still is) 1000$. Curse our damn import laws!
11-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Von Ryan Quote
I am looking at purchasing my first DSLR, I have narrowed it down to the K100D Super. I've just started a photography course at my local college (using my Fuji S6500), which has made me want to take my new hobby a stage further.

So do I buy now (Christmas) or wait until the new K200D comes out?
The fact that you've taken the time, money and effort to enroll in a photography course tells me you want to get serious about your photography. With that in mind I can't imagine you considering anything else but the K10D. For the cost, the features, and flexibility it offers, it's hard to beat. I am considering my first DSLR and so far, for me, nothing beats the K10D. It's deciding on lenses that I keep going back and forth on

There is so much that the K10D offers technically that if you want to "... take my new hobby a stage further..." I think you should seriously re-consider the K10D.

11-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Get the camera now and get some lenses for it and get a feel for what it can do and what you like to shoot. Someone on this forum once said "Bodies come and go, but good glass lasts forever", and they are right. When it's all said and done, it is the lenses that make great images, that is what makes Pentax so special. I own 2 bodies and about 15 lenses, and when I am done, I will own plenty more. And it is just a hobby with the K110D, then the K10D.
11-25-2007, 02:38 AM   #21

Original Poster
The course I'm attending is nine x 2.5hr evenings, tomorrow will be the third evening. I think I will wait a bit longer and see how I progress on the course.

I will have to seriously consider the K10/GX-10 over the K100D Super as the last thing I want is to out grow the K100D in a short period. I can't afford to chop and change cameras (kids are so expensive to keep these days), though selling one will fund my new hobby (but then again cameras don't look after you when your old).
11-25-2007, 06:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magnum1 Quote
If I were you, I would purchase an entry level Nikon or Canon. Then, in about 6 months gab any Pentax and feel what a real camera is!

Now why would you suggest this. He will start building in one system, then take a hit selling off whatever gear he bought, to buy into another system. This does not make sense to me.

To the OP. The new model release cycle seems to be 12 to 18 months. That means there will always be a new model just around the corner. If you have decided on Pentax as your system of choice, the K100 D Super is a very good entry level camera. The prices are already very reasonable. You can start building your system now. Think of all the good shots you will miss if you wait. Up to you whether the wait is worth a few extra bucks.

11-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Von Ryan Quote
I am looking at purchasing my first DSLR, I have narrowed it down to the K100D Super. I've just started a photography course at my local college (using my Fuji S6500), which has made me want to take my new hobby a stage further.

So do I buy now (Christmas) or wait until the new K200D comes out?
Usually people buy digital gadgets at the end of the product life cycle remorse. So, why not wait until January or early February when I am sure you can still get the 100 Super at an even lower price, unless you need to have a DSLR right now.
11-25-2007, 08:28 AM   #24

Original Poster
I am going to wait, it I buy now and the prices drop (or the K200 spec/price turns out to be excellent), I will be kicking myself. The S6500 will isn't a bad camera so it will do until January. By the way Dixons in UK are selling the Olympus E510 (with 14 - 42 kit lens) for £349 (after cash back), any thoughts.

Last edited by Von Ryan; 11-25-2007 at 08:45 AM.
11-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #25
Forum Member

"....Usually people buy digital gadgets at the end of the product life cycle remorse. So, why not wait until January or early February when I am sure you can still get the 100 Super at an even lower price, unless you need to have a DSLR right now......"

With that logic I'd NEVER get anything! <GG> I learned a bunch of years ago: If I see it, like it, and can afford it - BUY it NOW, the oportunity might not come along again.
11-25-2007, 10:01 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Hi Von Ryan

BTW, how's your 'express' doing and has it come off the rails yet ?

Re your question:

"....Olympus E510 (with 14 - 42 kit lens) for £349 (after cash back), any thoughts ?"

Bear this little fact in mind:

The imaging area of the Olympus E3 four-thirds sensor is a measly little 17.3 mm x 13 mm.

By contrast, the imaging area of the Pentax K10D APS-C sensor is much bigger at 23.5 mm x 15.7 mm.

Look at it this way.....would you prefer to drive around in a cramped little sports car with your knees permanently scrunched-up against the dashboard or rather spread yourself out a little in a luxury four-seater saloon ?
As far as I can see, there's simply no contest ! The K10D wins hands down on so many fronts it's difficult to know where to begin. You might find some of the issues in the link directly below of some interest ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/14614-pentax-k10d-...hlight=Olympus

Best regards
Richard
11-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #27

Original Poster
My Express is doing fine.

I will be sticking to a Pentax, may have to wait until January though.

Thanks for your input.