Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #1

First DSLR

I am looking at purchasing my first DSLR, I have narrowed it down to the K100D Super. I've just started a photography course at my local college (using my Fuji S6500), which has made me want to take my new hobby a stage further.

So do I buy now (Christmas) or wait until the new K200D comes out?

11-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well... if it were me I would wait a couple of months.
11-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
You've just confirmed what I was thinking, I'll just have to wait for my new toy. Cheers
11-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Menai Bridge as in between Dublin and Liverpool?

11-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Von Ryan Quote
I am looking at purchasing my first DSLR, I have narrowed it down to the K100D Super. I've just started a photography course at my local college (using my Fuji S6500), which has made me want to take my new hobby a stage further.
I think given this that actually what you should look at is the K10D right now. The K200D (or whatever) probably won't actually be available until next spring sometime (there's always a delay between "announced" and "actually available") and even then it's probably going to debut at a slightly higher price, (Maybe not, but a factor to consider.) Meanwhile, the K10D is a steal, and if you're interested in photography as a hobby it's really, really the class of camera for you.
11-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #6

I had a friend who said he'd wait to get a computer till they were as good as they'd get and as cheap as they'd get. Needless to say, he never got a computer. The K100D Super is a nice camera at a good price. I'd be delighted to get one.
11-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replys everyone, I still think I may wait until Pentax announce the new cameras; prices may take a bit of a hit.

QuoteQuote:
Menai Bridge as in between Dublin and Liverpool?
Yes Menai Bridge on Anglesey, North Wales.
Not far from llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

11-23-2007, 12:54 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But then you have to wait for the new K300???D
11-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Von Ryan Quote
Thanks for the replys everyone, I still think I may wait until Pentax announce the new cameras; prices may take a bit of a hit.
Exactly! No matter what happens its a win win situation, new model could be within your price range(K200) or a likely discount on an existing one come the announcement. I learnt on the S6500 (great images btw) too and i know what you mean. Its a great camera thats good enough for most needs but once you start using primes theres no turning back. Enter the realm of LBA! Muahahahaha.......
11-23-2007, 04:36 AM   #10

It is said thath K200 will practically be a renamed K10. Though i am almost sure it will lack it's weather seals, because K200 will be a starting-level camera, and it should be worse then K20 in many points (damn marketing). So I'd get K10 now... Which I actually did.
11-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I had a friend who said he'd wait to get a computer till they were as good as they'd get and as cheap as they'd get. Needless to say, he never got a computer. The K100D Super is a nice camera at a good price. I'd be delighted to get one.
As a child, my mother was forbidden by my grandmother to go into the water until she knew how to swim. She is 67 and is still trying to figure out how she's going to learn to swim without getting wet.
11-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #12

Original Poster
I see no reason to wait for the K300??D, but a few very good reasons to wait for the announcement of K200D as Kaimarx states "it's a win win situation". Anyway January is such a boring month it will give me something to look forward to. Your comments were very much appreciated.

Diolch yn fawr iawn (Welsh)

Pete
11-23-2007, 06:08 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I think given this that actually what you should look at is the K10D right now. The K200D (or whatever) probably won't actually be available until next spring sometime (there's always a delay between "announced" and "actually available") and even then it's probably going to debut at a slightly higher price, (Maybe not, but a factor to consider.) Meanwhile, the K10D is a steal, and if you're interested in photography as a hobby it's really, really the class of camera for you.
I am not sure where I saw it it , but apparently Hoya (Pentax new parent company) have recently said that they feel the brand is highly under priced at present (when you add up what you get with the K10D against the equivilent Canon & Nikon offerings I have to agree) So I would buy a K10D as soon as possible I honestly do belive there is better value for money to be had in the market at present
11-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #14
Inactive Account

If I were you, I would purchase an entry level Nikon or Canon. Then, in about 6 months gab any Pentax and feel what a real camera is!

11-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #15

Original Poster
You are all trying your best to confuse me, I must say it's working.