Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Good lens(es), of course.
OP's complaint was that his K10D's lousy high-ISO capability was seriously limiting his shooting. As I ran the numbers a few posts up, the ISO advantage of a K5 is far beyond what faster lenses could provide -- there's no way to gain 5+ f-stops with ANY lens. To go 5 stops faster than his 50/2 would require f/0.35 and that's a mighty rara avis. The K10D remains fine for ISO-100 work, and it can be tethered. But it won't take the OP where he wants to go.

07-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #17
Site Supporter

I will try to sell all the lens and K10D
Use the money to buy a very good lens, such as DA* 50-135mm F2.8. Even buy an used one will do the job, I will buy from the members in this forum.
This great lens should be able to cover all the lens you have now, except the 18-55 and 28mm.
But you can buy another wide angle lens later.
I remember someone said (don't remember where I saw it)
A $5 lens + A $1000 camera will give you a $5 picture, A $1000 lens + $5 camera will give you a $1000 picture.
I believe he just try to point out a good lens is almost the key to a great picture.

The money you save plus the money from selling all the lenses and camera should be enough to cover upgrade to K-7 and buy a very good lens.
If you don't have budget issue, then I will suggest you to buy K-5 + DA*50-135mm.
I am just a newbie, so this is just what I will do.
07-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alanjoke Quote
A $5 lens + A $1000 camera will give you a $5 picture, A $1000 lens + $5 camera will give you a $1000 picture.
A million-dollar lens won't cure high-ISO noise.
07-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I agree with Rico. The greatest increase in your overall capabilities will be increasing your ISO -doubling your ISO is the same as adding a stop to ALL your lenses - thereby opening many more photo possibilities.

I bought a K-X for that reason - suddenly I was able to shoot indoor basketball with my long kit zoom and club interiors with my short kit zoom. I kept my old body for tethering and backup..

This was great for me - maybe it won't be for you.

How you intend to display your results also plays a role. I expect electronic displays which are pretty tolerant of lens quality (overall IQ.is limited by the display not the lens).

Last edited by newarts; 07-27-2011 at 05:07 AM.
07-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A million-dollar lens won't cure high-ISO noise.
If you can afford a million-dollar lens, you should be able to make your light anywhere and any time, and not have to deal with any noise associated with high ISO.
07-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
If you can afford a million-dollar lens, you should be able to make your light anywhere and any time, and not have to deal with any noise associated with high ISO.
Performance ratings:

A: Walks on water.
B: Knows how to swim.
C: Knows how to dog-paddle.
D: Passes water when stressed.
07-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't tell you what you need or don't need. I personally chose glass over new bodies most of the time. I have been over on G+ a lot recently and the flood of amazing photographs taken with 6 year old Rebels, Olympus E-1's, and Sony A100 is pretty amazing. The high dollar Canon/Nikon shooters are in the minority.