Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #1

Dilemma

Amazon has a refurbished, slightly used K-7 body selling for $835 on there. I know the K-7 is not as good of an ISO performer as the K-5, but if a person has budgeted themself roughly $1,500 for a DSLR, would it make more sense to get the K-5 with the kit lens or a K-7 and use the rest of the money towards a better lens?

I was also thinking that maybe it might be better to get the K-7 now instead of the K-5 due to the fact that the K-5's replacement is probably not too far off. But basically I am just wondering if its better to get a cheaper body for now and stock up on some decent glass.

07-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've seen used K-7's on craigslist for 550-600$ with <10k shutter counts. But it depends if your just going to use the kit lenses or if you need something else. For slightly more than 1500 you can get the K-5 and 18-55/50-300 which covers almost everything most people would need. If you need macro, or want ultrawide angles, etc, then consider a K-x/K-r+kit lenses. It would still leave you a significant budget for a couple different specialized lenses.
07-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's more than I paid for my K-7 brand new. If you are going to get a K-7 buy it from the marketplace here as prices are more what they should be ~$600. Really though, if you're wanting better lenses, then I'd suggest you go with the K-r since it has better high ISO than the K-7. If you want the WR, more rugged body, and more external controls, then I say buy a K-5.
Really though, the K-7 is a good camera. It's completely capable of producing stunning images, just not at high ISOs. Do some shopping around and make sure you're getting a good price before you buy.
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
I guess I should've disclosed this in my first post.. I have a Pentax K-x currently and am looking for something that's weather sealed and provides a more refined shooting experience. I know the K-7 isn't going to give me better image quality but is probably better in every other way. I haven't fully made up my mind yet.

One thing I will say though... and this probably has to do with the different sensors, I somewhat prefer the colors in the K-7 shots vs. the K-5. Sometimes it seems like the K-5 pushes the saturation way too much (same with the K-x). Of course this can be changed but its just something I've noticed after comparing photos from both cameras on Flckr. But in every other respect the K-5 seems superior.

07-26-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

the K7 will be a nice upgrade functionally from the kx (and the kr in many ways) as long as High ISO isn't your need
I love mine, and will at some point get a K5 for the High ISO better DR. When I moved to this from the K10 I had tried the KX and the Kr and for me all the functionality of the K7 design won hands down
ISO wise it's still far better than my K10, but really won't offer anything there to a Kx user (keep the kx for those times you really need High Iso)
the remainder can get you some nice lenses which would make up some of the difference in low light in any case over the kit lenses with the added benefit of superior IQ
07-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't forget the K20d has the same sensor as the K7. It can be had for $400 for body only.
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I have the K7 and the K5 but I recommend you get the K5. You will be stunned.
07-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received some good advice.

*The Amazon price is to high. $500-600 for a used K-7 is more realistic.

*I would save on the body, skip the kit lens and buy some good lens(es). The value of good lenses is too often understated.

* Unless you shoot mostly in low-light, the K-7 is an as good performer as the K-5 at low ISO.

Hope that the comment will help.

07-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I saw you're interested in weather sealing, but it's a moot point unless you also use WR lenses. Of the WR variety, which ones were you interested in? Or do you already own several? Depending on the type of shooting you do, you might be a bit frustrated going from the K-x to the K-7, considering the difference in sensors. Feeling, ergos, and handling, the K-7 is top notch.
07-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by L33tGreg Quote
Don't forget the K20d has the same sensor as the K7. It can be had for $400 for body only.
Actually they are not the same. K-7's sensor was completely redesigned and different from the one used in K20d, according to Pentax Imaging.

I also found the colors produced by K-7 to be excellent, better than K-x or even the K20d. I haven't tried K-5 or K-r yet but in my experience, only images from K200d have come anywhere close to those from K-7.
07-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I saw you're interested in weather sealing, but it's a moot point unless you also use WR lenses. Of the WR variety, which ones were you interested in? Or do you already own several? Depending on the type of shooting you do, you might be a bit frustrated going from the K-x to the K-7, considering the difference in sensors. Feeling, ergos, and handling, the K-7 is top notch.
I was going to go after the DA WR 18-135mm lens first. Then maybe pickup the DA* 55mm. I will probably sell my DA-L 18-55 (maybe) and hold onto the DA-L 55-300 for use when conditions are not as harsh and I need a longer zoom.
07-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Actually they are not the same. K-7's sensor was completely redesigned and different from the one used in K20d, according to Pentax Imaging.

I also found the colors produced by K-7 to be excellent, better than K-x or even the K20d. I haven't tried K-5 or K-r yet but in my experience, only images from K200d have come anywhere close to those from K-7.
Esbee.... I noticed you live in the DC area... have you done any business with Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA? If so, did they give you the "Pentax is going out of business" line when you went in there?
07-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
I will probably go after the DA WR 18-135mm lens first. Then maybe one of the DA* lenses.
07-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
Esbee.... I noticed you live in the DC area... have you done any business with Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA? If so, did they give you the "Pentax is going out of business" line when you went in there?
Yes I heard that before but not from Ace in Ashburn, as I have not been there yet.

Where I heard it was from Ritz in Rockville, MD before I purchased my first K20d late 2008. I knew then regardless of whether Pentax went out of business or not, that their products weren't going to just disappear so I didn't pay much attention to that argument.

And I did look at Canon, Nikon, Olympus (a close 2nd to Pentax in my opinion at that time) and even Sony but didn't like any of them, the K20d beat them all based on how it felt in my hands and it was my very first and as such, will always be very special!
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The K20D is good value for money. Despite Pentax's claim that the K-7 sensor is improved on that of the K20D, in real world photography there will be no appreciable difference in results. The 'improvement' was probably to incorporate video.