Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
What method do u use of keeping track of images taken with different lenses?

Hi, I use my manual lenses most of the time, and sometime more than one on the same card in my K-x, in one day. I do download the images usually before they reach 400, but due to time factor, I sometimes only get to edit them long after the download, and when I do, I usually have a difficult time remembering what lens I used. As there are no way to create a new folder on the camera every time I change a lens, that I can see, and "connecting" that to a specific lens, the only other way that I can see is to keep a note book handy and writing down the lens info and image numbers on the camera, taken with the lens. This seems a very cumbersome way of going about it.

What method would you suggest I use?

07-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 883
i use lightroom 3
i just select the file with the photos from the import and search for the photos based on focal length via the metadata search in library mode
07-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
W412ren's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 179
Identifying Lenses

I have trouble remembering what I've done during the day let alone what lens I've used for certain images! I use a K7 but presumably the menu system isn't that dissimilar from the Kx.
Two methods that may be of use. First, when you switch on after installing the lens, the K7 asks you to tell it the focal length for shake reduction purposes. Does the Kx do this?
If you only use one 50mm lens then the above method should be enough because if you've used an A series or newer the lens info should appear. So, by default, the images at 50mm with no lens name will be the manual lens.
Secondly, what if this doesn't work or you have more than one 50mm lens? I know you can't create a new folder but you should be able to change the file name in the "Set up" menu. Could you come up with a naming convention for your different lenses and have you got enough time to do this after swapping a lens? This obviously depends upon your shooting style and whether it's an urgent shot or not.
Hopefully the above will be of some use rather than some inane ramblings!
07-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
Once you get to know your lenses really well, you will know which lens took which photo by just looking at the photo itself

07-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Jacinto, CA
Posts: 41
Maybe Lightroom is better. I have it on order; so I don't know yet, but if I have a question about which lens i used or any other setting I used to take a photo, I can open it in PhotoMe and read all those details.
07-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
i use lightroom 3 i just select the file with the photos from the import and search for the photos based on focal length via the metadata search in library mode
Hoang, I import and view my files with Picasa 3, and the EXIF do help, but after a month or so, it is not that easy to ID images from my 3 50mm M and M zoom, if it is also at 50mm.
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
I have trouble remembering what I've done during the day let alone what lens I've used for certain images! I use a K7 but presumably the menu system isn't that dissimilar from the Kx. Two methods that may be of use. First, when you switch on after installing the lens, the K7 asks you to tell it the focal length for shake reduction purposes. Does the Kx do this? If you only use one 50mm lens then the above method should be enough because if you've used an A series or newer the lens info should appear. So, by default, the images at 50mm with no lens name will be the manual lens. Secondly, what if this doesn't work or you have more than one 50mm lens? I know you can't create a new folder but you should be able to change the file name in the "Set up" menu. Could you come up with a naming convention for your different lenses and have you got enough time to do this after swapping a lens? This obviously depends upon your shooting style and whether it's an urgent shot or not. Hopefully the above will be of some use rather than some inane ramblings! Report Post Like W412ren's Post
Warren, focal length is still a problem, not even talking about not using SR with tripod. I've googled this quite a bit but as far as I can see with the K-x you can not create your own file for my purpose. When I use my m lenses, mostly primes, I am normally not under pressure, I usually leave situations like that for my zoom lenses
.
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Once you get to know your lenses really well, you will know which lens took which photo by just looking at the photo itself
Simon, at my age, with my glasses and level of expertise, and using a laptop to view and edit my images, it is not always that easy.
QuoteOriginally posted by Historicity Quote
Maybe Lightroom is better. I have it on order; so I don't know yet, but if I have a question about which lens i used or any other setting I used to take a photo, I can open it in PhotoMe and read all those details.
Historicity, the problem is the Exif will not be able to tell you what lens was used if you shoot with 3 different 50 M lenses at the same settings, which I sometimes do just to compare them

The other problem I didn't think of till now is the aperture used is also not in the Exif, so most of the time it is a bit of a guessing game when you are asked about it later, but that is another matter.
What actually got me onto this subject, is the new "Lens sample photo archive", where I want to show what my old lenses can do, but when i started to go through my images, I realized that I have this problem

I guess that If I really care, i should make the effort and write it all down, and file images taken with different lenses, in separate folders on my laptop.

Thanks in any case for your response, appreciated
07-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
When I'm shooting test series (or even daily runs) with various MFL's, I either 1) use the existing lens to take a picture of the next lens, or 2) go to the mirror and use the lens to shoot itself. That way, there is no uncertainty.
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,157
If you manually set the shake reduction, the length will be recorded but that doesn't help you if you have 3 different manual 50's. I'm fortunate in that regard as I don't I don't have any duplication currently in my lens collection. I have forgot to change the SR setting after changing lenses in a hurry and have the wrong lens length listed. I add the length of extension tubes to the SR when I use them and that has caused some confusion as I look back at some older shots. Probably the best way is to make it a point to upload your shots soon after shooting and tag them with the info, even if you don't do any PP until a later date. Back in the old days of film, we had to write down all our info. Today's cameras have made us spoiled. Actually, keeping a written log would still be a good idea as I have a habit of forgetting things and repeating the same stupid mistakes often but it's something I never get around to doing.

07-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member
darrenleow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 541
How about snapping a photo of the lens that just came of the camera after changing lenses? Then you'll know what lens was used for the preceding photos.
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
fccwpe's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perris, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 380
From my film days I kept a small notebook in my pocket and recorded the frame or picture number as well as the lens, shutter speed and f stop for every roll of film. Now I just record the lens, starting photo number and ending photo number. Archaic, but functional.
07-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
From my film days I kept a small notebook in my pocket and recorded the frame or picture number as well as the lens, shutter speed and f stop for every roll of film. Now I just record the lens, starting photo number and ending photo number. Archaic, but functional.
+1

As for knowing at a glance after I've processed the files, see my flicker page for my file naming construct.

07-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 728
Hmmm...lightroom makes it so easy because all the exif is stored and you can sort by lens. If I didn't have Lightroom, I'd probably use my Flickr account and tag all my uploads. From there you can create sets for photos taken with a specific lens. In example, create a set specifically for the 16-50mm and only put pictures taken by that lens in the set.
07-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
For lenses that have no EXIF, I make sure I put in the SR information carefully. The only focal length I have a duplicate of a non-exiffed lens is 135mm, and I use one way more often than the other.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 07-27-2011 at 01:49 PM.
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by Historicity Quote
Maybe Lightroom is better. I have it on order; so I don't know yet, but if I have a question about which lens i used or any other setting I used to take a photo, I can open it in PhotoMe and read all those details.
Lightroom will read the metadata and it can tell you what first party lenses and some third party lenses was used.

I also add a keyword for each lens so when I upload to Flickr, they are already tagged with the lens info. It's a nice, quick way to see how many shots I have on each lens.
07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 46
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
When I'm shooting test series (or even daily runs) with various MFL's, I either 1) use the existing lens to take a picture of the next lens, or 2) go to the mirror and use the lens to shoot itself. That way, there is no uncertainty.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, download, dslr, images, lens, method, photography, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best method to assure optimum sharpness from K-5 and Limited lenses? stevelink Photographic Technique 36 08-27-2011 09:08 PM
K5 and lenses are here, first impression and images! Woohoo! Armanius Pentax K-5 8 03-26-2011 01:26 PM
Nature 6 lenses, 10 recent images flippedgazelle Post Your Photos! 15 10-20-2009 09:54 AM
Are these three lenses worth keeping for a Pentax KM? Stefan Carey Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 16 11-15-2008 01:58 AM
Keeping track of threads... fletcherkane Site Suggestions and Help 1 05-06-2007 05:35 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top