Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What method do u use of keeping track of images taken with different lenses?

Hi, I use my manual lenses most of the time, and sometime more than one on the same card in my K-x, in one day. I do download the images usually before they reach 400, but due to time factor, I sometimes only get to edit them long after the download, and when I do, I usually have a difficult time remembering what lens I used. As there are no way to create a new folder on the camera every time I change a lens, that I can see, and "connecting" that to a specific lens, the only other way that I can see is to keep a note book handy and writing down the lens info and image numbers on the camera, taken with the lens. This seems a very cumbersome way of going about it.

What method would you suggest I use?

07-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i use lightroom 3
i just select the file with the photos from the import and search for the photos based on focal length via the metadata search in library mode
07-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Identifying Lenses

I have trouble remembering what I've done during the day let alone what lens I've used for certain images! I use a K7 but presumably the menu system isn't that dissimilar from the Kx.
Two methods that may be of use. First, when you switch on after installing the lens, the K7 asks you to tell it the focal length for shake reduction purposes. Does the Kx do this?
If you only use one 50mm lens then the above method should be enough because if you've used an A series or newer the lens info should appear. So, by default, the images at 50mm with no lens name will be the manual lens.
Secondly, what if this doesn't work or you have more than one 50mm lens? I know you can't create a new folder but you should be able to change the file name in the "Set up" menu. Could you come up with a naming convention for your different lenses and have you got enough time to do this after swapping a lens? This obviously depends upon your shooting style and whether it's an urgent shot or not.
Hopefully the above will be of some use rather than some inane ramblings!
07-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Once you get to know your lenses really well, you will know which lens took which photo by just looking at the photo itself

07-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #5

Maybe Lightroom is better. I have it on order; so I don't know yet, but if I have a question about which lens i used or any other setting I used to take a photo, I can open it in PhotoMe and read all those details.
07-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
i use lightroom 3 i just select the file with the photos from the import and search for the photos based on focal length via the metadata search in library mode
Hoang, I import and view my files with Picasa 3, and the EXIF do help, but after a month or so, it is not that easy to ID images from my 3 50mm M and M zoom, if it is also at 50mm.
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
I have trouble remembering what I've done during the day let alone what lens I've used for certain images! I use a K7 but presumably the menu system isn't that dissimilar from the Kx. Two methods that may be of use. First, when you switch on after installing the lens, the K7 asks you to tell it the focal length for shake reduction purposes. Does the Kx do this? If you only use one 50mm lens then the above method should be enough because if you've used an A series or newer the lens info should appear. So, by default, the images at 50mm with no lens name will be the manual lens. Secondly, what if this doesn't work or you have more than one 50mm lens? I know you can't create a new folder but you should be able to change the file name in the "Set up" menu. Could you come up with a naming convention for your different lenses and have you got enough time to do this after swapping a lens? This obviously depends upon your shooting style and whether it's an urgent shot or not. Hopefully the above will be of some use rather than some inane ramblings! Report Post Like W412ren's Post
Warren, focal length is still a problem, not even talking about not using SR with tripod. I've googled this quite a bit but as far as I can see with the K-x you can not create your own file for my purpose. When I use my m lenses, mostly primes, I am normally not under pressure, I usually leave situations like that for my zoom lenses
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Once you get to know your lenses really well, you will know which lens took which photo by just looking at the photo itself
Simon, at my age, with my glasses and level of expertise, and using a laptop to view and edit my images, it is not always that easy.
QuoteOriginally posted by Historicity Quote
Maybe Lightroom is better. I have it on order; so I don't know yet, but if I have a question about which lens i used or any other setting I used to take a photo, I can open it in PhotoMe and read all those details.
Historicity, the problem is the Exif will not be able to tell you what lens was used if you shoot with 3 different 50 M lenses at the same settings, which I sometimes do just to compare them

The other problem I didn't think of till now is the aperture used is also not in the Exif, so most of the time it is a bit of a guessing game when you are asked about it later, but that is another matter.
What actually got me onto this subject, is the new "Lens sample photo archive", where I want to show what my old lenses can do, but when i started to go through my images, I realized that I have this problem

I guess that If I really care, i should make the effort and write it all down, and file images taken with different lenses, in separate folders on my laptop.

Thanks in any case for your response, appreciated
07-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

When I'm shooting test series (or even daily runs) with various MFL's, I either 1) use the existing lens to take a picture of the next lens, or 2) go to the mirror and use the lens to shoot itself. That way, there is no uncertainty.
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If you manually set the shake reduction, the length will be recorded but that doesn't help you if you have 3 different manual 50's. I'm fortunate in that regard as I don't I don't have any duplication currently in my lens collection. I have forgot to change the SR setting after changing lenses in a hurry and have the wrong lens length listed. I add the length of extension tubes to the SR when I use them and that has caused some confusion as I look back at some older shots. Probably the best way is to make it a point to upload your shots soon after shooting and tag them with the info, even if you don't do any PP until a later date. Back in the old days of film, we had to write down all our info. Today's cameras have made us spoiled. Actually, keeping a written log would still be a good idea as I have a habit of forgetting things and repeating the same stupid mistakes often but it's something I never get around to doing.

07-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

How about snapping a photo of the lens that just came of the camera after changing lenses? Then you'll know what lens was used for the preceding photos.
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

From my film days I kept a small notebook in my pocket and recorded the frame or picture number as well as the lens, shutter speed and f stop for every roll of film. Now I just record the lens, starting photo number and ending photo number. Archaic, but functional.
07-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
From my film days I kept a small notebook in my pocket and recorded the frame or picture number as well as the lens, shutter speed and f stop for every roll of film. Now I just record the lens, starting photo number and ending photo number. Archaic, but functional.
+1

As for knowing at a glance after I've processed the files, see my flicker page for my file naming construct.

07-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hmmm...lightroom makes it so easy because all the exif is stored and you can sort by lens. If I didn't have Lightroom, I'd probably use my Flickr account and tag all my uploads. From there you can create sets for photos taken with a specific lens. In example, create a set specifically for the 16-50mm and only put pictures taken by that lens in the set.
07-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For lenses that have no EXIF, I make sure I put in the SR information carefully. The only focal length I have a duplicate of a non-exiffed lens is 135mm, and I use one way more often than the other.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 07-27-2011 at 01:49 PM.
07-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Historicity Quote
Lightroom will read the metadata and it can tell you what first party lenses and some third party lenses was used.

I also add a keyword for each lens so when I upload to Flickr, they are already tagged with the lens info. It's a nice, quick way to see how many shots I have on each lens.
07-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
When I'm shooting test series (or even daily runs) with various MFL's, I either 1) use the existing lens to take a picture of the next lens, or 2) go to the mirror and use the lens to shoot itself. That way, there is no uncertainty.