Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x customizing buttons

My new K-x is on the UPS truck. I've been reading the manual and while I love that buttons can be customized, I am, at the very least, welmed by the possibilities.
I would love to hear k-x owners talk about how they set up the buttons and why that set up works best for them.
Anyone want to share?
I will be very grateful.

07-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There aren't a heap of button customisations that can be done apart from the AE-L/AF button where you get to choose which of those two functions you assign. I assigned it to AE-L so I could shoot starbursts more easily. You could instead use it for AF and disable AF on the shutter button.
07-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #3

First off, congratulations on the purchase! I'm sure you'll love it I just got my K-x maybe six months ago, and I'm really appreciating all it has to offer for the value.

Like twitch mentioned, the one button that could use some worthwhile changes is the AE-L/AF button. You'll find the option to adjust it under the second custom menu, item 10. I have it set on option 2, which uses the button to autofocus when pressed instead of the shutter button. Super useful if you don't want do deal with AF points. You can simply focus with the AE-F/AF button held down, then release, recompose, and shoot.

I'd also set each wheel click to 1/3 of a stop, set ISO steps to 1/3 of a stop, and expand the ISO range (to reach 12800 and 100). These three settings are items #1, #2, and #3 in the custom menu set at position 1, 2, and 2. These three features just give you greater precision and more options.

I'd also set copyright information: second page of the wrench menu.

Beyond that, it's worth going through the rest of the menu for sure, but I almost feel a bit limited with the button customization on the K-x. The other button that can be totally customized is the green button, but I've been happy with it on its default setting.
07-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you both so much.

07-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I also changed the green button to do av shift in manual mode rather than p shift. Now I can dial in the aperture in manual, hit green, and it only changes the shutter