Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

The talk among Sony people is that the new 24MP APS-C sensor is the best APS-C sensor yet. More pixels and less noise. We will see, but so far Sony has done very well.

Pentax still has some work to do with the AF system. More AF points and smaller AF points. The SR system could still be improved and made to operate faster.

I would expect to see an announcement for a K-5 replacement this Spring...... And hopefully some high grade glass.

07-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
probably won't come into fruit, but this is what i want to see from pentax in the next 6 months.

K-r replacement with the Sony 16mp sensor

K5 replacement with the new Sony 24mp sensor

but more importantly, a mirrorless rangefinder type camera with an apsc 16mp sensor similar to a leica m9's full frame 18mp sensor. It should be around 1.5 to 2k for body and be compatible with all K mount lenses. Something like that paired with the FA and the DA Limited prime would be a monster and position themselves as a cheaper competitor to Leica.

Now everyone who can't afford an Leica has a more affordable alternative that if paired with the right lenses (FA 31, 43, 77 anyone?) would be a bargain in the rangefinder market.
But what is the benefit of a range finder, if you don't have a leaf shutter.
Likeweise even under the best of circumstances you can make a range finder if the camera body doesn't know what lens is attached. the older K mount lenses do not identify themselves.

If pentax is to survive they must find a path that leverages the robust legacy of existing optics
07-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
But what is the benefit of a range finder, if you don't have a leaf shutter.
Likeweise even under the best of circumstances you can make a range finder if the camera body doesn't know what lens is attached. the older K mount lenses do not identify themselves.

If pentax is to survive they must find a path that leverages the robust legacy of existing optics
Ah yes, the leaf shutter from the fuji x100 is indeed a must for a camera like this, especially because it is not going to be an slr anymore, users must need a way to tell focus and distance. But I believe that nothing is impossible. I don't see why they can't do a hybrid of the leica system mix with the the x100 or something entirely new and revolutionary.

The fuji proved that there is a market for rangefinder-like cameras (a very profitable market), and Pentax has a good history of cameras from the past to gather inspirations from. I think Pentax should continue to support their dSLR lineup, but if they are to move forward, they need something refreshing. The Pentax Q, I think is sort of moving in that direction. I almost feel as if the Q is an exercise to see if a mirrorless/dslr-like/interchangeable system could work.

There is a rumor that Fuji is now working on their own interchangeable lens system for their future rangefinder-like models. If fuji can do it, why can't someone else, why can't pentax? Especially with their already establish lineup of small high quality primes.

But again, this is purely my fantasy, who knows what will be unveil in the coming months.
08-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Sony is releasing models soon w/ the new 24MP APS-C sensor. I'd hope Pentax will as well....I'm sure Nikon will...
It is funny how it works. We all want it. We know we can't live without it anymore. If we only knew this would live up to our expectations. Is it to early to open a thread for complains about this sensor?
  • RAW files are huge and fill up our little cards faster then ever before.
  • It's a great sensor, but not better in hi-iso then K-5 was.
  • Most off us just put testpictures online and never print the size where you really need these 24 mp.
  • PC at home is getting sluggish, harddrives are full and RAM memorie is to short.
  • Lucky for us Adobe comes with new software to handle these new pictures, but man that is expensive.
  • I still think that our camera is slow in processing these 24 megapixel 16-bit RAW files when I fire in Hi-speed 10 fps for 5 seconds.

08-01-2011, 02:18 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ronhendriks1966 Quote
it is funny how it works. We all want it. We know we can't live without it anymore. If we only knew this would live up to our expectations. Is it to early to open a thread for complains about this sensor?
  • raw files are huge and fill up our little cards faster then ever before.
  • it's a great sensor, but not better in hi-iso then k-5 was.
  • most off us just put testpictures online and never print the size where you really need these 24 mp.
  • pc at home is getting sluggish, harddrives are full and ram memorie is to short.
  • lucky for us adobe comes with new software to handle these new pictures, but man that is expensive.
  • i still think that our camera is slow in processing these 24 megapixel 16-bit raw files when i fire in hi-speed 10 fps for 5 seconds.

lol! +1
08-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

How that I think of it what they could do is make two high end cameras- one with a higher resolution and one with better high-iso performance/continuous shooting but lower resolution. Not going to happen, though, knowing Pentax. The best we can hope for is an incremental improvement all-around.
08-01-2011, 07:23 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How that I think of it what they could do is make two high end cameras- one with a higher resolution and one with better high-iso performance/continuous shooting but lower resolution. Not going to happen, though, knowing Pentax. The best we can hope for is an incremental improvement all-around.
Maybe K-5 Super (16 mp and some improvements) stays in production next to a new camera with that new sensor. That would be al we need I think.
08-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
While I suppose we will all run out and buy the higher resolution for bragging rights and I guess that is what marketing is all about, the real function of resolutions higher than we have now is to explode our PC. I can't resist using the RAW mode because they are so much easier to deal with in photoshop (IMHO), but aside from inviting the use of more aggressive cropping and supressing the market for telephoto lenses
I'm not sure where it's going.

08-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

With the Q and the new APS-C mirror-less (assuming there is one) Pentax will have 5 removable lens bodies on the market. The mirror-less will represent a new market segment for Pentax and the 645D is the professional grade camera. How much room is there for a 3rd APS-C body? The A77 is expected to sell for less than the K-5 and it appears to be a WR body. The price of the K-5 will drop to under $1,000.00 by the end of the year.

Sony is planning on making a big impact. The SLT design is considerable cheaper to produce than a traditional SLR with reflex mirror and 100% VF.
Sony A77 less than $1,400
Sony A99 less than $1,900 (Full Frame)

Where does a new Pentax fit in from a competitive price stand point and what features does it have to have to attract "new" buyers. Pentax can not make a living off of existing customer upgrades. Pentax has to attract new buyers.

Rumor is that the new EVF (3 million pixel) on the A77 is really, really impressive. No blackout or lag. 12 frames per second and AF that is Nikon fast or faster.
08-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't really expect any new DSLR bodies from Pentax until mid-late 2012, and I don't think full-frame is on the cards. I expect more focus on the Q and hopefully a large-sensor P&S in the short term.
08-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is funny how it works. We all want it. We know we can't live without it anymore. If we only knew this would live up to our expectations. Is it to early to open a thread for complains about this sensor?
  • RAW files are huge and fill up our little cards faster then ever before.
  • It's a great sensor, but not better in hi-iso then K-5 was.
  • Most off us just put testpictures online and never print the size where you really need these 24 mp.
  • PC at home is getting sluggish, harddrives are full and RAM memorie is to short.
  • Lucky for us Adobe comes with new software to handle these new pictures, but man that is expensive.
  • I still think that our camera is slow in processing these 24 megapixel 16-bit RAW files when I fire in Hi-speed 10 fps for 5 seconds.
I want a variable bit RAW. For moderate to high ISO, 14-bit is a huge waste.
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
[*]Most off us just put testpictures online and never print the size where you really need these 24 mp.
FYI, I have a 20"x30" aluminum print from a K10D shot on my wall. Wish I had a lot more resolution, but it looks fine from a few feet away...

You can say no one needs it, but if Sony's high-end APS-C cam has the 24MP sensor and Nikon's high end APS-C cam has 24MP, people aren't going to look at the K-5 because it's old technology. It's stupid that people look at MP instead of high-ISO performance, but that's the way it is.

The Sony EVF and pellicle screen sound pretty impressive...too bad the pellicle screen affects high-ISO performance
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm very happy with my K-x. Ricoh can make anything they like and I will still be sticking with my K-x for now. I'd eventually upgrade to a K-5 successor maybe eventually in terms of getting a second body just for work if I could ever make enough to afford one, but my K-x is staying with me regardless, and no, I don't think I would swap it for a K-r if given the choice. I've held both and upgrades in the K-r notwithstanding I still like the K-x better.

I think Ricoh should bring back the K-x, upgrade it a bit, and just replace the K-r with whatever the next model will be at that sub $800 price range. The K-r is just now dropping down to an affordable level and it's still a bit expensive compared to the K-x. I think the K-x was perfect at $500 or less as an entry level camera. I think there's room for both and the discontinuation of the K-x for a more expensive camera was a mistake.

I'd like to see a $500 model, an $800 model, and a K-5 super or it's successor whatever it is...
08-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote

You can say no one needs it, but if Sony's high-end APS-C cam has the 24MP sensor and Nikon's high end APS-C cam has 24MP, people aren't going to look at the K-5 because it's old technology. It's stupid that people look at MP instead of high-ISO performance, but that's the way it is.
True, but shouldn't we expect better low light performance from the new sensor ?
08-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the kr may drop down to entry pricing and hang around (like kx should have, KR replacement will get the K5 sensor, K 5 replacement will get the new 24 mp sony sensor. makes sens then as a 3 body lineup. ff probably won't be till 2013 or even 2014 is my guess. Add a MILC apsc in the lineup probably as well (likely with k5 sensor, maybe a variant on the GXR Pentax branded and WR with some form legacy k mount support and compatible with the ricoh lensors/mountsers)