Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #1

Pentax 2012 DSLR lineup

The K-5 and K-r are almost a year old at this point. And the K-7 and K-x are being phased out. Has anybody heard any rumors regarding new and upcoming models? I tried looking around online and found diddly squat with exception of talk of a full-frame DSLR in '12.

My best guess at what the lineup will look like in 6 mos:

K-r (hangs around as Pentax's bargain basement model for a little while before disappearing sometime in 2012)

The K-r replacement - Something that would go toe-to-toe with the Nikon D5100 and Rebel T3i - possibly using the same 16mp Sony sensor as the D5100 (and D7000 and K-5). Will probably feature a beefed-up video mode. But no weather-sealing, less direct-access controls, and a less-sophisticated AF system than its more upscale sibling. Same 921k resolution LCD.

The K-5 replacement - Same 16mp sensor but may be tweaked to improve already excellent performance, improvements to the AF system. Maybe a higher-resolution screen. Re-worked video mode. Weather-sealed body (of course). Might feature an articulated LCD.

Full-frame DSLR

Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on what will be forthcoming from Pentax.

Last edited by vapentaxuser; 07-29-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled Pentax in the last sentence.
07-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There won't be a full-frame next year for sure, but it would be nice if they could release a higher class of camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well a replacement for K-r is to be expected even this year and I think with the 16 mp sensor from K-5. Maybe K-r stayes around for some time.

No idea about plans on K-5. Maybe a K-5 Super to buy some time before a new cameraline appears. I hope for a camera above K-5 as top of the line in aps-c.

For full frame, maybe an announcement at next Photokina.
07-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Maybe the successor to the K-5 will follow a similar route as the Canon 60D. Make the model slightly lower-class, and introduce a new model above it, with better features still (100% / 1x mag. viewfinder with translucent lcd, faster af, new image processing, ...).

07-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wonder what could they have in sleeve to improve on the K-5. It will take time to design a better camera than that. Perhaps they could put a newer generation sensor to it, like the Aptina for example, and call it K-5 super. Then a faster x-sync wouldn't be too bad, along with 3rd generation of SR... The Fx button could serve as record buton for video perhaps. But it is difficult to come up with more ideas for improvement.
07-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I recall Pentax usually having a 1 year cycle on the beginner models and 1.5 years for the top end line. So the Kr will more then likely get updated closer to the end of the year or beginning of next year and the K5 will stay until probably summer of next year.

As for the specs only time can tell. However, I'm really not that interested in having more megapixels. Its getting ridiculous. I'd much rather have a sensor with less noise at high iso much like that of the K5.
07-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am also very interested in how the next generations will be equipped, as I'm planning the next upgrade. Earlier I had heard rumors of a new generation Sony sensor that might be possible for the upgrade for K-5, but I no longer hear of that. As for the next k-r, I would guess that the market is basically requiring Pentax to do something "bigger" than the change from k-x to k-r, and using the k-5 sensor makes most sense to me. (Unless Pentax wants k-r to target the T3/D3100 crowd. k-r, T3, and D3100 score similarly at dpr, though the mix of strengths are different. ) As I see the Pentax line-up now, it has something matching Canon's T3 and 7D, and nothing in between. For potential up-graders like myself - that gap is huge when you are trying to justify the higher model. I currently use k100dS and the thought of upgrading from "entry-level DSLR" to "newer entry level DSLR" does not really make me want to part with my money for that. I really want the k-5, but, as I mentioned, the jump to k-5 feels HUGE to me. I really wonder how all this looks to the Pentax business planners - does anyone know?

07-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing certain to me is that there will be successors to the K-5 and K-r.
The rest of the detail is anyone's guess, but I wouldn't rule out FF completely out next year...
07-29-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vapentaxuser Quote
The K-5 and K-r are almost a year old at this point. And the K-7 and K-x are being phased out. Has anybody heard any rumors regarding new and upcoming models? I tried looking around online and found diddly squat with exception of talk of a full-frame DSLR in '12.

My best guess at what the lineup will look like in 6 mos:

K-r (hangs around as Pentax's bargain basement model for a little while before disappearing sometime in 2012)

The K-r replacement - Something that would go toe-to-toe with the Nikon D5100 and Rebel T3i - possibly using the same 16mp Sony sensor as the D5100 (and D7000 and K-5). Will probably feature a beefed-up video mode. But no weather-sealing, less direct-access controls, and a less-sophisticated AF system than its more upscale sibling. Same 921k resolution LCD.

The K-5 replacement - Same 16mp sensor but may be tweaked to improve already excellent performance, improvements to the AF system. Maybe a higher-resolution screen. Re-worked video mode. Weather-sealed body (of course). Might feature an articulated LCD.

Full-frame DSLR

Would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on what will be forthcoming from Pentax.
If they incorporate the articulate screen, I would rather see that in the K-r (entry level) model to compete with T3i. For k-r successor, I see that and plus perhaps a sensor upgrade.

For k-5 successor, I also do not see a FF yet (needs time to develop), perhaps some minor enhancement and also like to see some improvement in use of legacy MF lens.
07-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Ricoh's probably having fun thinking over these things - something their managers may have dreamed of but never really done! I'd like a k-r super for myself, maybe with that magic 16 sensor.. but let's face it, the 12Mpixel sensor is pretty magical as well (at least I'm sold ). Sealing would be a great update; Hoya kept it for the premium line but why not seal 'em all?

As to full frame: I'm thinking the 645d has that part of the market for now. Ricoh can have another meeting to determine this segment. A larger and $2k-or-more camera will never be in my future, but it would be fun to get some k-mount fun in its original glory - and I know many here dream of this. I'd consider a 1.3x design if it could be reasonably sized/priced; I've enough 'classic' gear to make that work! Guess only Canon has a fab line for that size though..
07-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I'd consider a 1.3x design if it could be reasonably sized/priced; I've enough 'classic' gear to make that work! Guess only Canon has a fab line for that size though..
Well I would love that too. And Canon is going to kill the APS-H line.

Improvements on the K-5 and other camera's would be new electronics to make the camera faster in processing.

Maybe a new shutter, that is good for 200k clicks and more silent.

Maybe some need future in a way of having a super-hi-speed mode (as some P&S have) that gives 6 megapixel jpg's at a rate of like 20 fps or so.
07-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I would love that too. And Canon is going to kill the APS-H line.

Improvements on the K-5 and other camera's would be new electronics to make the camera faster in processing.

Maybe a new shutter, that is good for 200k clicks and more silent.

Maybe some need future in a way of having a super-hi-speed mode (as some P&S have) that gives 6 megapixel jpg's at a rate of like 20 fps or so.
I have been sort of thinking that the era of product maturity has dawned on SLR cameras. There aren't a bunch of dramatic new features to add. What the consumer could use the most at this point are reliability improvements and minor tweaks to make existing features 'work better'.

ON the other hand the marketing department will be pushing to redesign the hubcaps so it can be called a new model.
To be sure however, the GPS could be integrated into an upscale model and be the ' hang on' option for downline models.
07-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

No FF...otherwise, you're probably pretty close.
07-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony is releasing models soon w/ the new 24MP APS-C sensor. I'd hope Pentax will as well....I'm sure Nikon will...
07-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

probably won't come into fruit, but this is what i want to see from pentax in the next 6 months.

K-r replacement with the Sony 16mp sensor

K5 replacement with the new Sony 24mp sensor

but more importantly, a mirrorless rangefinder type camera with an apsc 16mp sensor similar to a leica m9's full frame 18mp sensor. It should be around 1.5 to 2k for body and be compatible with all K mount lenses. Something like that paired with the FA and the DA Limited prime would be a monster and position themselves as a cheaper competitor to Leica.

Now everyone who can't afford an Leica has a more affordable alternative that if paired with the right lenses (FA 31, 43, 77 anyone?) would be a bargain in the rangefinder market.