Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Warranty repair

Hi Folks,

I need to send my camera in to Pentax as there are some quirky things going on with it.

First problem is (as of recently) extremely inconsistent auto-focus. After describing the issue to the tech, I was told I needed to ship the camera in. She even apologized for me encountering the problem.

Second problem is more of a brain-buster - in the middle of a shoot, I've had the camera suddenly go into sensor cleaning mode. Unless I have one heck of an amazingly talented nose that figured out a secret key combo to enable sensor cleaning mode, there's definitely something quirky here.

Per others' posts, we're talking about 1-2 months before I will see my baby back. Is this worse case scenario or can I expect it to take even longer? As it stands, I will have to either buy another camera or rent/borrow one. And if I do decide to buy another one, this would be the worst time to have to do this, considering prices are in holiday flux-mode, new cameras are being announced, and money is on reserve for holiday gifts and heating bills

11-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Contact your Pentax rep,

If I remember correctly some people paid a small fee, and got a loaner camera out of the deal.
I forget what the service was called

Personally I wouldn't want to give up my camera over the holidays.
11-24-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey frogroast, I mailed my k10d in for service to colorado the 14th they got it fri. the 16th and they shipped it wed the 21st - less than a week! Now ups has got it on a long holiday weekend. Now I'll probably have to wait until tuesday or so for ups. But I'm hopeful
11-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #4

Tom, what exactly were they repairing on your camera? I want to send mine in for the leaning viewfinder problem but am waiting till after the holidays.

11-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hey ramshot,
Mine had that also, I waited till I had a backup body (k100d super), I will post the result when I get it. I miss the larger buffer and front dial but the k100d is really a nice little cam.
11-24-2007, 07:02 AM   #6

That's encouraging that they were able to fix that problem (hopefully) so quickly. I can't afford a new body right now. But when I do send in my K10 I'll just use my old ME for awhile. I got a couple rolls of film I need to use anyway.
11-25-2007, 01:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I just sent my K10D off (for the 2nd time) last week. Im having the leaning viewfinder issue fixed this time. The first time was for dead pixels. I sent the camera off at the very end of August and got it back the first week of October... So it takes a while. I asked about the 40 dollar rush service with a rep before I sent it in this last time and was told that rush service wasn't available because of the number of cameras they have in for repair.... Way to go Pentax... Anyways, I will be shooting film and doing my own developing and printing in my darkroom by the end of the month so ill be happy doing that and glad to be away from the frets of the DSLR world for a while lol, and hopefully by January I'll have my K10D back with a properly aligned viewfinder.... Best of luck to you, I hope it works out!