Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #1

Slow K10D auto bracket

When autobracket is set to 5 frames and I am shooting in jpeg mode the first few frames fire reasonably quickly but slow down enormously for the 4th and 5th frame. As the LED is working overtime I assume this is because the internal memory buffer is full and must wait for data to be being written to the card - which seems to take an age. It can be very annoying.

For instance last night I was trying to take some sky shots in manual mode and manual focus. The last frames were so slow that I found myself taking by finger off the button before the all frames had fired. Eventually had to force myself to count 1,2,3, wait a bit, 4, wait quite some time,5.

Should I expect this or is there a fault somewhere?

11-24-2007, 02:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote
When autobracket is set to 5 frames and I am shooting in jpeg mode the first few frames fire reasonably quickly but slow down enormously for the 4th and 5th frame. As the LED is working overtime I assume this is because the internal memory buffer is full and must wait for data to be being written to the card - which seems to take an age. It can be very annoying.

For instance last night I was trying to take some sky shots in manual mode and manual focus. The last frames were so slow that I found myself taking by finger off the button before the all frames had fired. Eventually had to force myself to count 1,2,3, wait a bit, 4, wait quite some time,5.

Should I expect this or is there a fault somewhere?
Is there a chance than the bracketed shots were taken at shutter speeds slower than 1s?

If so, and if you have Noise Reduction turned on, then the camera takes an additional "black" exposure after each shot to do noise reduction.
11-24-2007, 03:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
No, they were all taken at quite high shutter speeds, primarily of a full moon at up to 300mm
11-24-2007, 04:45 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ukbluetooth Quote
No, they were all taken at quite high shutter speeds, primarily of a full moon at up to 300mm
from doing hdr using auto bracketing the last 2 shots are slower because it automatically over expose the shots .

like its compensation is (-2 -1 0 + 1 + 2 ) the last 2 shots are letting in more light for exposure. are you using this for HDR? i usually use Aperture Priority (F8) iso 100. and the last 2 shots are longer because its letting in more light in the end.

11-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ditto...I also complained of this while trying to do a sunset HDR until someone pointed out that each frame will normally take a while anyways. Take a pic of only the +2 image by hand and see how long it takes takes :-)