Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 03:49 AM   #1

File numbering

Hi guys,

I've just bought a K100D to use in place of my ist*D - it was the anti-dust and the shake reduction thingys that did it for me... but

...all my 9000 or so photos from my ist*D are numbered IMGP0001, etc and I see that my new K100D is also starting with the identical numbering sequence.

Is there a way to change the file name/numbering sequence so that when I save my new files they don't overwrite my old ones?? Sure, I could save them to a new folder and then 'save as' with a new name but that could take for ever - and there's still the chance of overwriting one of my original files.

Also, reading the manual (page 176-177), it isn't clear whether, when I've taken the first 680 shots on my first SD card (presumably numbers IMGP0001 to IMGP0680) when I put in a new card will the next shot be files as IMGP0681 - or will it too be called IMGP0001?? (on the ist*D it would have been IMGP0681).

Any ideas welcome - please!

Simon

11-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You keep 9000 photos all in the same folder?

I'd recommend batch renaming all the existing files. IrfanView is good for that. It may take a while for the process to complete, but it is automated once you press "START".
11-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Mike,

Thanks. No, they're not all in one folder - 9 different folders - 0-999, 1000-1999, etc but all within a folder called 'Pentax pics' (for want of a better name!).

I'll have a look at Irfanview. Haven't come across it before. Is it straightforward? I've never tried 'batch renaming'...

Simon
11-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I store my pics in folders named with the date on which the pics are uploaded to the computer, for instance a folder named 2007-11-24. This has the added advantage of the folders being listed in date order.

You could start a new folder called K100D pics or something similar, then put your "date-named" folders within that folder.

BTW, the K100D has no anti-dust features.

11-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Forum Member

I used to use a batch renaming program that worked very well. However, once I started using Photo Shop Elements I stopped, even though that feature in PSE wasn't nearly as good. But yu can probably do a search on the Yahoo or Google and find it again. It was freewhere. One nice thing about that software was you could not just change the name and add a counter to it, but you had a lot of flexibility in renaming files.
11-24-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lupas Rename 2000 That's a nice little free one that gives you a lot of options. I love using it for pics because you can set it to pull the date and time from the EXIF for renaming that way.

As to the file naming on the K10D at least, it will pick up where it left off when you switch cards. The folder names can be changed from one that starts at 101 and increases incrementally, or one that names them by date.
11-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simonm Quote
Hi guys,

I've just bought a K100D to use in place of my ist*D - it was the anti-dust and the shake reduction thingys that did it for me... but

...all my 9000 or so photos from my ist*D are numbered IMGP0001, etc and I see that my new K100D is also starting with the identical numbering sequence.

Is there a way to change the file name/numbering sequence so that when I save my new files they don't overwrite my old ones?? Sure, I could save them to a new folder and then 'save as' with a new name but that could take for ever - and there's still the chance of overwriting one of my original files.

Also, reading the manual (page 176-177), it isn't clear whether, when I've taken the first 680 shots on my first SD card (presumably numbers IMGP0001 to IMGP0680) when I put in a new card will the next shot be files as IMGP0681 - or will it too be called IMGP0001?? (on the ist*D it would have been IMGP0681).

Any ideas welcome - please!

Simon
This is a common complaint I have had with pentax.

I would like to use the 4 letter prefix for "personilization" of the file names.

The best you can do is to sort photo's in directories by date, this way the probability of duplicate numbers is low.

You should also ask pentax to allow personalization of the prefix, the more who ask, the better the chance of a change

11-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going back to your original question, I'm not aware of any way to change the 4 letter prefix. You can change the number and start your new camera at 9000 but I after IMGP9999 you would be back in the same boat. Changing the starting number is discussed in a few threads on this forum. I have two K1x0Ds and on occasion have swapped cards causing number confusion. It involves setting the option to reset the count (listed in the manual), inserting a card with the filename set to the desired number, returning the option to original setting.
11-24-2007, 10:52 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by simonm Quote

Simon
I do a batch rename (with Adobe Bridge) immediately after downloading the files to my computer and I change them to something more meaningful, such as who, where, and date. Then I move them to a folder that is similarly named (but not identical to the file name). The result is lots of folders but each camera body (I have two K10D's) with its own master folder, one for RAW files and one for conversions. I follow the same strategy for my other camera bodies (Nikon, Olympus) and so far it has worked very well. No chance of overwriting any files.

Richard
11-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I store my pics in folders named with the date on which the pics are uploaded to the computer, for instance a folder named 2007-11-24. This has the added advantage of the folders being listed in date order.

You could start a new folder called K100D pics or something similar, then put your "date-named" folders within that folder.

BTW, the K100D has no anti-dust features.
Thanks MPrince, Something else to think about... Oh, I was using 'shorthand' - I should have said K100D Super...

Simon
11-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all the useful replies. I'm glad I came across this site this morning. I've downloaded Irfanview - shame I didn't do it ages ago - it could have saved me many hours of batch processing. I'd never really understood it before but Irfanview makes it really easy! I think it will be easiest to change the file names of the new files from the K100D Super (see, I put the full name this time) rather than going back through the 'old' files.

Just to clarify how I've been saving my files...

I open the original, make any changes to sharpening, colour balance, etc, then change the image size to 10x15cm @500dpi 'save as' "IMGP0000 title" (which gives a file size very similar to the original), then change the resolution to 72dpi and save as "IMGP0000 small title" to give a version to view on screen at 10x15cm size and which can easily be emailed. These three versions are all saved into folders of 1000 images (or 3000 files). They are all searchable by name = image number or by 'date modified' - or, of course one can search by a string using the usual search facility in Explorer.

Thus the original file is only opened once and saved unmodified; there's a copy at 'high res' and a copy at 'low res'.

You can see some of them at Naturepix - Photo Gallery Index...

I've also had a chance to check out the bit about what happens when you put in a new card - and, yes, it simply carries on with the numbering sequence from where it left off with the previous card.

Thanks for your help.

Happy snapping.

Simon
11-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I use the free and basic version of this:

File Renamer - Rename Files - File Renamer Deluxe - Sherrod Computers

I change the IMGP prefix to the shooting date, in yymmdd format.
11-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just started running into this problem since I got my K10D.

Right now, I'm trying a new file rename technique to see how it fits in my workflow.

Upon conversion from raw, I'm creating the filename based on the Exif shooting date data: yyyymmddd-hhmmss.jpg

This will automaticaly sort my images regardless of camera in chronological order.

The 2 risks I see with this are:
1) 2 pics taken at the same time (different shooters?) will have the same name. I figure the risk of this is low.
2) The converted file is no longer the same as the raw file. This may make correlating the 2 more difficult. Not certain how much that'll impact me yet.
11-24-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I rolled my k10d's counter already and sure enough, I'm back in the 1000 range all over again. It's annoying that the camera will only do #### digits, but it's not a deal breaker. I did have to renumber photos as it rolled in the middle of a shoot and I wanted to make sure things were kept in order, so I have some photos in the 10000 range

I too organize my photos by folder, using the name of the shoot/subject + date (John Doe Family 10 Oct 2011 and Lake Ontario Shores 11 Nov 2011). This makes it really easy for me, whether manually navigating folders or using image managent software. I also don't have to worry about file numbers.

As far as Irfanview goes (IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide) it's a fantastic program, free for home use. There is also FastStone's Image Viewer (FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...) which is freeware. They also make a freeware image converter/resizer.
11-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've store them by Date. A folder for each day. The format it use's in camera is a pain as it prefixs the month and day with 100,101,etc. Using the YYMMDD would be a lot better IMO. On the PC I have a folder for each digicam (Pentax/Ricoh/Canon) and under them I have a folder for each year, and under that I stick each folder for each day. Having the file counter roll (which it has) doesn't worry me as they won't end up in the same folder. My wife has a brain full of dates so if I want to find something, I ask her when it occured and... there it is! With file viewer programs (Infraview, etc) it's amazing how quick you can whip through 10,000 images looking for something.