Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #1

Buying the Pentax KD10 or....

Hello,

I was thinking about buying the Pentax KD10 DSLR. I was using a Pentax film SLR prior to this and that one gave me fantastic results. Unfortunately I dropped that while trying to take a picture being balanced precariously and thats shattered the shutter mirror and casued damage to the body to the extent that it wont turn on now. Fortunately the lens is still intact (which is a huge surprise).

Anyway, I was comparing the KD10 to the Canon Rebel XTi, Nikon D80 and the Leica V-Lux 1. I'm still an amateur photographer and cant spend much time on photography (mostly weekends and the occasional holidays). The Nikon D80 is more expensive than the KD10 and much more delicate than the Pentax. The Canon though is more popular is very toy-like which I dont like. I also compared some of the pictures of the XTi and the KD10 and i'm more impressed with the Pentax. The Leica is one camera that really impressed me because of the lens though there arent many user reviews about the main camera body and the functioning aspects of it.

I was hoping I could get some more pointers on choosing the right cam and also if anyone could corroborate these points.

Thanks again!

Best,
HPB

11-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Everyone here will of course tell you to buy the K10D, since that's the point of this forum. And it is also of course the right answer , but what in specific would you like to hear about? What's your total budget, and what existing Pentax lenses do you have?

The Leica V-LUX1 is a different animal from the others on your list -- in the K10D and the Nikon D80, you're looking at serious but not top-end-expensive digital SLR cameras, whereas the Canon XTi is their entry-level model. But the V-LUX1 is a rebadged (with slightly different firmware) Panasonic FZ50, a "superzoom" point and shoot with a relatively tiny sensor. You can find a review of that here:

Panasonic DMC-FZ50 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

and what you read there will apply 95% to the Leica model. Except the Panasonic version is half (!) the price.
11-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
HPB

Original Poster
Yeah I kinda figured that

The film SLR I had was a Pentax Super Program introduced in the eighties. The lens is a smc Pentax-A 1:1.4 50mm. Also have an ancient Pentax flash. Not sure what the model number on that is. Unfortunately I couldnt get hold of a good service center here where they could repair the Super Program. They said the cam is too old and they dont have the spares.

My budget is around $750. I have a few SD cards lying around so wont have to buy new ones for this. I was checking on Amazon where it shows for as low as $699.

In specific, I was hearing that the K10D does not auto focus all that well in low light conditions but also that there are ways to get around it. So I was wondering if someone could explain to me if this is a sensible buy for predominantly low-light condition photography. Also, I read somewhere that the Pentax roadmap for future lenses is very limited and because of which you really might not be able to take full advantage of the camera.

Another thing that some were telling me is that this is too advanced a camera for an amateur photographer, even a serious amateur.
11-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Buy the K10D you will not be disapointed. I went from 35mm (Yashica TL-Electro) to a K10D almost 2 months ago and have not had any issues learning the camera it is intuitive and easy to use, between the owners manual and this forum I have been able to learn how to use it quickly. I have taken low light shots, action shots (son's hockey team (arenas are not well lit) ), and outdoors shots on a bright fall day all have come out well some better than others but that is part of learning a new camera. I also had looked at the D80 and liked it and the canon felt like a toy but the K10D felt right it felt like a camera and it felt like it was worth the money. Side note I took it back to work the night I bought it and my coworkers liked it the next day I had an occasion to take some important shots and my co-workers were impressed by what was on the LCD when they were printed now more impressed, 2 of them orderd K10D's and 2 more including the boss are going to get pentaxes after we find out what the new one is. This is a GREAT piece of gear.

11-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #5

I was VERY worried about buying the K10 (GX-10 actually). And after I bought it, I got some photoes and I was not sure I was right. This was my first DSLR and the contract between my last compact camera and the GX-10 was great. Definetely not the point-and-shoot in any meaning of this. Yes, you have to get used to it, you have to "tame" it, but the camera gives you SO many features to tweak, like no other camera! This gives you unreal possibilities to express yourself!
Why am I so enthusiastic? I am right in the middle of mastering my GX-10, and I just came from my first studio photo-session, where I found how comfortalbe are controls of K10D and how reach are the possibilities is gives to me! I definetely do not regret that I've chosen this gamera.
11-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #6

I would go with the K10D if I were you, with 750, you could get it + kit lens + extra battery off of amazon.
11-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Forum Member

I believe that K10d is the best buy out of the options that you listed. I chose it originally over the Canon 40d and Nikon's D200 because of the price, and because I had used a Pentax Spotmatic F for the last year with great results. I really love the camera, adn the fact that you can use your current lens is a definite boon. That 50mm turns into a super fast portrait lens. The Nikon D80 is a great camera, but I think that the Pentax beats it in overall functionality and hardiness.
11-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If LOW LIGHT photography is your main subject you might also want to consider the Pentax K100D Super. The K100Ds are widely recognized as superior to the K10D in low light. I have both a K10D and a K110D (the K100D's non-SR brother) and the K110D IS better in low light. Its also a lot cheaper than a K10D and is still superior to the Canon Rebel XTi.

11-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Buy the k10 with the kit lens. Later you can pick up the 50mm 1.4 for low light if you feel you need it. The k10 is by far the best of the group you've mentioned.
11-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As one who's only experience with any DSLR was a few weeks spent with a borrowed XTi piror to getting a K10D, let me tell you first hand that it is not too advanced for even the most novice of users to use. Yet it still packs most of the advanced features most people will ever need, and even a few not found in other cameras. It's quick and easy to learn as most everthing you need the most is right at your fingertips. To truly master it, yes takes some time, but what doesn't?
11-24-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HPB Quote
In specific, I was hearing that the K10D does not auto focus all that well in low light conditions but also that there are ways to get around it.
This is true (for some value of "all that well"), but it's also true that none of the other systems are amazing at this either.

I'd be more concerned about high ISO performance, where the lower-resolution K100D and K110D do better -- and where newer (but more expensive than the models you've listed and way more expensive than the K10D) offerings from the competition also do a better job.

The lens you have is pretty well-regarded, and sounds like you're used to using it so focusing it manually won't be a surprise. Of course, it switches to a short portrait-range telephoto rather than a normal; if you really liked shooting with it you may want to make sure to get something in the 35mm range to get an equivalent field of view.
11-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #12
HPB

Original Poster
Thanks guys! This helps a lot and corroborates my feelings about the K10D. As Mattdm and MRRiley pointed out, I was considering the K100D but the 6MP resolution put me off.

Very recently a friend bought a Nikon D80 and went on a cross-country shoot. After he returned there were problems galore such as moisture inside the camera and the shutter locking up. Since the K10D, i'm told, is built like a tank, hopefully this shouldnt be a problem.
11-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
I would go with the K10D if I were you, with 750, you could get it + kit lens + extra battery off of amazon.
So said so done... for me anyway.

Pentax K10D with Kit Lens (beach camera) = 699 (free shipping)
Extra Battery (adorama) = 48 (including shipping)
11-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HPB Quote
Thanks guys! This helps a lot and corroborates my feelings about the K10D. As Mattdm and MRRiley pointed out, I was considering the K100D but the 6MP resolution put me off.

Very recently a friend bought a Nikon D80 and went on a cross-country shoot. After he returned there were problems galore such as moisture inside the camera and the shutter locking up. Since the K10D, i'm told, is built like a tank, hopefully this shouldnt be a problem.
I would not let the 6mp put you off unless you are planning prints larger than 8x10