Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow
Those are some really nice pictures...What I appreciate the most is that ''chrome'' is difficult to shoot..(atleast for me)..Nice job
What lens did you use?

11-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dang! Maxamillion, those are some really nice shots. Any PP?
11-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
Forum Member

Jgredline.
cardinal43.

Thanks for the compliments.

I used a Sigma EX 17-35mm.

Very little PP using Aperture.

Here are a few more.

Rg.

11-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I really need to get out to some carshows again ... I miss them.

11-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I hear this complaint or should i say concern all to often.

I had issues with softness with the istD, but my K10D jpegs are just fine. Most cases i only need to sharpen the same as my D1 and D2H, about 80% radius 0.3.

I have my camera set at "zero" or factory settings if you like.

Bill Fourtney a Nikon rep i met up with last year, told me the best settings for cameras like the D2H and D200 are "zero'd" out. I have used this advise and i seldom have problems. I sell my photos so i need something nice, and these settings work, for me and my customers.

I have stopped reading web sites like dpreview, as all it takes is someone saying the jpgs are soft in the Pentax XXXX and every one panics. Most camera stores offer a refund or exchange in 10-14 days if your not satisfied. My suggestion is buy it, look at it, if not happy, return it.

The sky is not falling.

Dave

Dave
11-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Excellent shots maxamillion! Thank you for that mood lifter. I'm going to the Autorama here in Sacramento this coming Feburary and I'd like to pick up a copy of the lens you used for those photos. Is this the one?
Sigma 17-35 mm F2.8-F4.0 EX DG HSM: Digital Photography Review
11-27-2007, 12:00 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate answer to this question. This my first post on this subject and technical issues.

I have had about 8 months experience with the K10 and near 30 years with SLR and I find it is well worth the time to shoot in RAW format.

Sure it takes more time and you capture the actual image without compression then post process.

But why would anyone want to capture and compress an image with the JPEG algorithm as to the actual RAW capture of an image?

The person behind the camera has the ability to press the "capture" button. Set your camera properly and capture the moment and emotion. If one attempts to capture the "perfect moment" they can not, perfect moments are captured with out trying. they just happen.

Perfection is when the camera is set properly.

Wendy

Last edited by WendyB; 11-27-2007 at 12:10 AM.
11-27-2007, 05:08 AM   #23

what settings did you use bright/normal sat/sharp/con

Hi Maxamillion, what settings did you use.

BR Jan
11-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #24

Great photos maxamillion, as they say "one picture is worth a thousand words". No further comment required.

Cheers,

Phil
11-27-2007, 06:15 AM   #25
and
Veteran Member

.. I think we should consider compiling a good writeup of "k10d jpeg softness" for the knowledge base before the next person comes in asking the same thing yet again.
11-27-2007, 08:54 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Please forgive me if this is an inappropriate answer to this question. This my first post on this subject and technical issues.

I have had about 8 months experience with the K10 and near 30 years with SLR and I find it is well worth the time to shoot in RAW format.

Sure it takes more time and you capture the actual image without compression then post process.

But why would anyone want to capture and compress an image with the JPEG algorithm as to the actual RAW capture of an image?

The person behind the camera has the ability to press the "capture" button. Set your camera properly and capture the moment and emotion. If one attempts to capture the "perfect moment" they can not, perfect moments are captured with out trying. they just happen.

Wendy
Wendy,

There are a few reasons why people want to do this:
  • Storage used. JPEG uses far less space on your memory card / hard drive / e-mail attachments
  • Standardization. There is an "open" raw format, however all brands use their own format. Which makes it difficult to exchange files with friends, printing services, web pages etc.
  • Postprocessing time. If the JPEG is good enough done, first time in camera, you can just push it right out of the box

I personally get myself large enough memory cards and work mostly in RAW+. So I can show the pictures on a laptop to my wife in an instant while we are travelling. The endresult I create by post processing the RAW files in Adobe Lightroom 1.3.

- Bert
11-27-2007, 09:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote

Wendy
Hello, Wendy

In his article "JPG vs Raw: Get it Right the First Time" found here:

RAW vs JPG

Ken Rockwell goes into detail as to why many prefer to shoot in JPEG. I'm not saying I entirely agree, but he makes several good points.

As for the perfect moment just happening, I doubt Ansel Adams would agree. Sometimes of course (as in Eugene Smith's Walk into Paradise Garden) the perfect moment does happen. But generally they are well planned for and executed by experienced photographers.
11-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Ken Rockwell, the man who reviews cameras before he even gets one to try.

LOL

Dave
11-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Hotrodder.

Yes, that is the lens.

Thanks for the compliment.

RG.
11-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #30
Forum Member

Jakerland.

I just had a quick look at some of the data.

Most at ISO 125. f5. f6.3 f7 .f8. Shutter range used 1/160-1/250. I didn't check all of them, but you get the idea ?

The Blue Pontiac was at 1/30. f7.1. ISO100. 29mm.

All shots hand held.

Thanks to all for the compliments.

RG.