Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dirty in Viewfinder

Hi, I have a k-x and its viewfinder has several black dots when I see through to get focus. I blew the focus screen, mirror and sensor already, even I used soft brush on the focus screen and mirrors. The dots still here and same location. My question is how to remove the dots out. Thanks.

08-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You'd have to remove the focus screen. Search the forum for the existing threads on the topic, and then decide if it's worth the risk. In general, most people just learn to live with the spots that inevitably come and go.
08-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #3

Risk? There is no risk in removing a focus screen. If there is, you are either extremely unlucky or extremely clumsy. But first make sure where the dirt is located. Could be either viewfinder, focus screen or mirror.
08-01-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Let's say the dots are in viewfinder, how can i clean it? it's really look like the dots stuck in VF.

08-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenneth3aracing Quote
Let's say the dots are in viewfinder, how can i clean it? it's really look like the dots stuck in VF.
Try blowing on the focus screen with canned air, without removing the focus screen first. Rocket Blower or it's equivalent works, just not as well because squeezing the bulb can change the nozzle positioning too much to be as effective as canned air. If this doesn't remove the debris from the focus screen, remove the screen from the camera and blow on it outside of the camera. If all this doesn't do the job, you can wash the focus screen under warm water with soap, rubbing it with your fingers to dislodge any stubborn debris. Let the screen dry thoroughly, visually inspect the screen and reinstall in camera when you are satisfied of the screen's cleanliness.

Thanks,
08-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #6

Had the same problem.
Sloution found via link here
08-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
Risk? There is no risk in removing a focus screen
I'm not saying you might electrocute yourself or anything, but do a search and you'll find many references to people scratching their focus screen, getting fingerprints on it, not being able to get the shim back in properly and thus ending up with inaccueate focus, and/or ending up with more dirt on the screen than they started.