Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help! Black spot wont go away!

hell all -
i have a problem - at first i thought this spot was on my sensor - but now i know it is this particular lens as it only shows up when using the 10-17mm. its in the same spot - every time - but only in the sky - you cant see it indoors though i havent tried to shoot a white wall just yet. the front of the lens is clear as can be - ive cleaned it well. so i thought maybe it was on the rear element of the glass. i cleaned it as well. yet - here it is still. any ideas on what it could be? more importantly - how can i get rid of it? i have 6 or 7 lenses now and it only shows up using the 10-17mm....suggestions?
thanks!

IMGP0583 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

08-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's most likely on your sensor, actually, as the fisheye has a really wide DOF and thus makes dust more visible.
08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
if it is on the sensor then would it not show up on another lens? it shows up at 17mm on the fisheye but not at 18mm on the kit lens....nor does it show up on the 50mm f/1.2 prime - even wide open it doesnt show up....
08-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Shoot a white wall or something with a light color and fairly well lit. Set aperture to f22 or smaller. The sensor stains should now be apparent if there are any. Remove them by using a rocket blower, or if it's really stuck use wet cleaning kit. If it's in the lens you should be able to see it if you pull down the aperture lever on the back of the lens and look through it towards the light. A small torch light is also helpful.

08-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
right on - ill give it a try against a white wall asap - used a torch light to look through it last night and saw a couple of spots on the rear glass - cleaned them off. i dont have a single white wall in my entire house so ill have to do some searching around to find one....maybe a large piece of foam core will suffice...
08-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Any light colored wall will work (or ceiling).. It doesn't have to be white. Just make sure before you go scrubbing anything that whatever you see, isn't on the wall itself.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ml#post1259109

08-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That looks like dust on the sensor to me also. Get a Giottos rocket blower and it will most likely do the job. Don't freak when you look at the f22 shot of a wall or blue sky as it is pretty normal to pick up dust over time. My k20d came with a huge spot visible on live view even.

08-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
heading home from work in just a few and will give this a whirl. shouldnt i use more than just the lens that the spot is appearing on to verify it is indeed the sensor though???
08-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by insulinguy Quote
heading home from work in just a few and will give this a whirl. shouldnt i use more than just the lens that the spot is appearing on to verify it is indeed the sensor though???
That sounds like a good idea.
08-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Classic dust on the sensor, I'm sure. Extensive tests show dust and even pretty bad scratches on the lens have little effect on images - and don't cause dark gray blobs like that.

As Adam mentioned, the fisheye will make dust more visible than other lenses because of the depth of focus. With other lenses and larger apertures that will likely be a soft pale blur.
08-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

It is frustrating to find dirt on the sensor AFTER a days shooting. Drives me insane.

08-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #12

Original Poster
you guys rock! it is on the sensor - i know there have been many threads about cleaning and what not but just to rehash it - is the a blower that any of you have used that you would stand behind 100%? i am buying one today and cleaning the sensor tonight. im actually surprised that there is only one visible piece of dust on my sensor as i pretty much only shoot inside abandoned buildings full of asbestos and what not. im sure my lungs look like shit though!
08-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
Inactive Account

you guys rock! it is on the sensor - i know there have been many threads about cleaning and what not but just to rehash it - is the a blower that any of you have used that you would stand behind 100%? i am buying one today and cleaning the sensor tonight. im actually surprised that there is only one visible piece of dust on my sensor as i pretty much only shoot inside abandoned buildings full of asbestos and what not. im sure my lungs look like shit though!
So you're an urban explorer huh? Get the Giottos Rocket Blower and get the big one. Don't skimp here. Give it a couple short blasts (in a clean environment) before pointing it at your cameras sensor. Then blast the dust away (but don't Touch the sensor with the tip of the rocket blower). If you read the article I linked to, you'll see that for cleaning however, the Pentax O-ICK1 cleaning kit is the best for the money, IMO.

Good luck.

08-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
i printed out the article you wrote jeffjs - well written and easy to understand - thanks for that contribution to the forums! im assuming i can get the giottos at best buy or some such? or will it require a trip to my local 'we dont carry even one pentax product' camera store?
and yes - urban exploration - thats what the kids are calling it these days - ive been going into places i wasnt supposed to be my entire life! started shooting about 25 years ago when i was 13 or 14 (K1000!!!) and even then i loved shooting photographs that did not have ANY humans in them. some things never change!
08-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a blower that any of you have used that you would stand behind 100%?
Giotto is a big name. Regardless, get one with a large bulb that is a few inches long, not one of the tiny ones as big as a quarter with a brush on the end. You need to move a lot of air. :-)