Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I'm just a poor guy and can't affort a Nikon/Canon set.
My words exactly to a salesperson at Calumet Photographic!

QuoteOriginally posted by mookowz13 Quote
My favorite is dealing with the "serious photographer" hipsters that have been cropping up in my city with armies of Canikon kits. I usually pull the irony card with them and talk about how Canikon is too mainstream and how my main camera is a Holga.
LOL

08-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mookowz13 Quote
I usually pull the irony card with them and talk about how Canikon is too mainstream and how my main camera is a Holga.
Just to prove it, you can spend US$25 or whatever for a Holga-Pentax lens. When you see a hipster, quickly swap lenses. Can't get much kewler than that, hay?
08-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I took my SPII to the library today. Some hipster kid walked up to me and said "Cool! Is that an old Nikon?" Needless to say he got my best Morticia Addams stare...
08-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you tell people when they ask "What's a Pentax? Never heard of 'em" ?

I tell them it's a magical object made by pixies that can enable time travel, eliminate male pattern baldness, increase sexual stamina, and that it's made of rainbows and gumdrops and unicorn farts.

Last edited by Bramela; 08-04-2011 at 12:53 PM.
08-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
... and that it's made of rainbows and gumdrops and unicorn farts.
And that's why the aperture blades and shutter sometimes stick.

NOTE: Hay, this is my post #5000! I'll have to celebrate! Where's that unicorn?
08-04-2011, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #36
CDW
Site Supporter

When people come into my gallery and invariably ask what camera I use, I explain that many of the images I display have been taken over a 20 year period and the images range from large and medium format film to present day digital cameras. I then go on to tell them that when I went digital I shot Canon for many years but requiring a higher level of quality and resolution, that I've switched to Pentax. That usually ends the conversation with the person posing the question staring at me with a glazed over look in their eyes, or if they are a hobbyist photographer and have a Nikon or Canon hanging around their neck with a kit lens, they ask "Why?". Then the fun begins.
08-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
When people come into my gallery and invariably ask what camera I use, I explain that many of the images I display have been taken over a 20 year period and the images range from large and medium format film to present day digital cameras. I then go on to tell them that when I went digital I shot Canon for many years but requiring a higher level of quality and resolution, that I've switched to Pentax. That usually ends the conversation with the person posing the question staring at me with a glazed over look in their eyes, or if they are a hobbyist photographer and have a Nikon or Canon hanging around their neck with a kit lens, they ask "Why?". Then the fun begins.
Nice! How do you respond to why ?

08-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #38
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Then the fun begins.
I so hope that it starts with 645D, otherwise I would be disapointed
08-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I so hope that it starts with 645D, otherwise I would be disapointed
Sorry new to Pentax, but what's so good about the 645D ?
08-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
Well you buy it for image quality when you want large prints. The 40 megapixel can give you enourmous detail. Thena again i have a canvasprint that is 46 x 68 inch and it is of superb quality. Made from a good portrait that came out of my K-7.
08-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Just to prove it, you can spend US$25 or whatever for a Holga-Pentax lens. When you see a hipster, quickly swap lenses. Can't get much kewler than that, hay?
I've been meaning to get one actually just for fun. May have to do that from now on !
08-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I tell them it's a magical object made by pixies that can enable time travel, eliminate male pattern baldness, increase sexual stamina, and that it's made of rainbows and gumdrops and unicorn farts.
That might not be that easy to get across for some of us, (see my photo avatar.)
08-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The 645D is a medium-format camera that uses many legacy lenses and very few (so far) new ones. Pentax has a long tradition of building top-of-the-line 645 and 6x7cm cameras. The 645D has a much larger sensor than Canikony FF and our APS-C dSLRs. It can produce HUGE high-resolution images. Its competitors cost MUCH more. Those competitors are generally reserved for studio work; the 645D was designed for outdoors work, ie landscape photographers shooting for Arizona Highways and coffee-table publishers.

Simply put: If you need high resolution images from a non-delicate camera, the 645D is by far the price-performance leader. There is just nothing else quite like it. And it's ultra-kewl, especially the hand-lacquered Limited Edition. Ooh ooh, I wantz! But I'd have to rob too many mini-marts to afford one. Ratz...
08-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #44
Forum Member

The Pentax 645D is Pentax's flagship medium format DSLR, which won the prestigious TIPA 2011 "Best Professional DSLR" award. Here is the excerpt from TIPA:

TIPA members appreciated the design, build and feature specs of this 40 Megapixel medium format digital camera. The magnesium alloy body is fully weather-sealed, making it a great choice for outdoor and location photographers, plus the all-glass trapezoid pentaprism finder makes for a dazzling capture experience. Perhaps most impressive is lens compatibility, which encompasses both the new D FA autofocus lenses as well as older 645 lenses.

Also, if someone asked me what's a Pentax, I would be split between responding with a joke or an actual brief rundown on the history of Pentax (first instant return mirror... first autofocus on the market... ).

I remember when I was not too familiar with Pentax, my friend, who will be my suitemate this upcoming year, was telling me how he thinks Pentax is more aesthetics and less substance. Man... I should have replied with "Well, it's both!"

Also, I have a lot of friends that are Canikon photo-enthusiasts (very talented ones I might add), and a good portion thought I modded my camera to look white during their first encounter with my camera.

I have been making been learning a lot about photography and cameras over this past summer, and I am excited to have more gear-related conversations and represent the Pentax name well this upcoming year. I also have a few new 'Limited' toys that my friends have yet to see.

Of course, the camera doesn't make the photos, and I will always keep that in mind. It's just that I am a huge gear head because, speaking as an EE major, I find the technology fascinating, and my fascination spans across all new and old camera systems and lens makers (regardless of whether or not it is M42/K-mount compatible). It just irks me why other gear heads are only familiar with two maybe three camera systems while developing unfounded opinions on the other unfamiliar systems.
08-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But I'd have to rob too many mini-marts to afford one. Ratz...
How many would be an acceptable number?