Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
smc 50mm f/1.4 and K100D

Hi everyone. I am a new member here as well as new to photography. I visit alot of the various forums and have learned alot although I am sure I am a long way from being very good. I love my new hobby and look forward to learning more. I just recieved a smc 50mm f/1.4 lens that I bought on ebay. I have taken about 20 shots and I noticed that I can do handheld shots in low light that I couldnt before on my kits lens. I would like to know if I can use the bulb mode for long exposure shots with this lens. I do have a cable release .I am currently using the lens at the auto setting on the aperture ring and aperture priority mode on the camera and have adjusted my focal length setting(which must be set each time the camera is powered on). I have posted a shot in the A club. Thanks, Joe

08-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, you can use it in B(ulb) mode. Inputting the focal length is part of Shake Reduction (SR), which is only for handheld use. On my K20D, when in B(ulb) mode, SR is automatically turned off. I'm not sure about your K100D. You should probably check your user manual about using manual lenses, shake reduction, B(ulb) mode, all that stuff. Experiment with various apertures, exposure times, ISO, etc. Have fun!

Last edited by RioRico; 08-01-2011 at 10:36 PM.
08-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Rico, will do.
08-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!

Your question has already been answered. Note in addition, just for the sake of knowing, if you turn off Shake Reduction (or have a timer mode set or something else that might require a tripod), the camera will not ask you for the focal length. That's one of the best manual focus primes in the Pentax 50mm lineup. Enjoy it and show us what you can do with it.

08-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

One little thing about SR: AF lenses and A-type primes will tell the camera their focal length, no matter whether SR is on or off. (A-type zooms WON'T so inform the camera, but we'll go into that another time.) Anyway, the camera stores that focal-length number and much other meta-data (info about the picture) in a section of the photo called EXIF. Many programs can read that EXIF data, which can be useful in tracking how photos were shot, among other things. When you put a non-A-type lens on the camera, the only way to store the focal length is to switch SR on and tell it what's there.

EDIT -- Correction. Here's how that should read:

One thing about SR: AF lenses tell the camera their focal length whether SR is on or off. The camera stores that focal-length number and much other meta-data (info about the picture) in a section of the photo called EXIF. Many programs can read that EXIF data, which can be useful in tracking how photos were shot, among other things. When you put a manual lens on the camera, the only way to store the focal length is to switch SR on and tell it what's there.

[Thanks for keeping me honest.]

Last edited by RioRico; 08-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
08-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A-type primes will tell the camera their focal length
Neither of my A primes (50mm f/1.7 and 28mm f/2.8) tell the camera their focal length.
08-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Nation Quote
Neither of my A primes (50mm f/1.7 and 28mm f/2.8) tell the camera their focal length.
I have never had an A type prime on Any of the cameras I've had 10/20/7/5 that communicated fl to the camera. Aperture yes, Focal Length, No. You must have some very special lenses there Rico....

08-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oops. I screwed up. Shame on me. I *must* stop listening to the voices in my head. Especially after the painkillers kick in.

Last edited by RioRico; 08-02-2011 at 03:43 PM.