Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Doesn't sound like he's serious at all about saving for the Uni, he comes across as just another optics junkie trying to upgrade his current setup without dipping into his savings, an impossibility.
Haha, I assure you I'm quite serious about saving for uni. The only two lenses I've bought for my K-7 are the aforementioned Sigma and Tamron zooms.

For those who were suggesting the kit lens, I got one with the camera, and having used it in comparison with the Sigma 17-70, it really doesn't compare. That's why I got rid of it!

I seriously don't want to go back to point-and-shoot. I've had point-and-shoots for years, so going back to it seems like a step backwards. The whole point of the K-7 was so that I get a little more 'serious' with my photgraphy.

I think I will sell the grip.

I mostly take photos of people, and landscapes. The current setup I have allows me to take these kinds of photos, which is why I'd be a bit hesitant to sell them off, but that's where this thread comes in

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Take the lenses you have and really learn how to shoot with them for 2 years.............it'll probably enhance your photography skills at the same time....

All the best!
Dave
Extremely solid advice! Thanks Dave!

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
Upgrade! Yourself. Get a nice side job. Many do.
I'm considering getting into stock photography... have submitted an application to iStockphoto.com. I'm wondering how much it's going to suck out my soul!

08-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Yes, manage your time, do it well, it will balance your account too.
Through life your soul will be sucked out by many things, so, if it brings you money, profit is multiple: you learn, you pay, you earn, you find your way. Go for it!
08-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Sell it all... get a decent point and shoot - something with good manual controls like a used Canon G9 or Panasonic LX3. Spend your uni years studying and documenting your time with the point-and-shoot that you always have with you in your rucksack.
+1 Yes! (or... May I suggest the OP just buy a red Ferrari 599 GTO, instead? Oh, so... not going to take that advice, either... )

Last edited by Michaelina2; 08-03-2011 at 04:30 AM.
08-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Offer to do portraits of all your friends before they go off to uni and make some cash. I think you'd be surprised how many friends would pay for a decent portrait.

08-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Yes, but can the OP shot a decent portrait?
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster

I dunno, can I?

But I guess to be fair, I don't shoot studio. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to save any money flat-out.
08-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

OK, those are great photos!

The background context adds something to nos. 1 and 4, however, I can't help thinking how much better 2 and 4 would look with a faster, sharper lens. Something to make the subjects pop out and obscure the background.

You've captured something in all of them though.
08-04-2011, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

No. 1 would be better without the person cut in half on the left and the bit of something peeking out from behind the subject.
No. 2 has a leg growing out of her head.
No. 3 would be better without the car behind the subject, regardless of how out of focus it is.
No. 4 has no light on her face and she is apparently leaning against the edge of the brickwork which is tilted...

IMHO your images would improve far more if you look at everything in the shot (not just the subject) than if you got a sharper lens.

08-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Jesse, these are not portraits--they're snapshots. As Cats mentioned above, pay more attention to your background and composition, experiment with different AV settings and above all pay more attention to the angle of light. Shoot in the soft light of early and late and fill with flash any other time.
08-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Agree with other posters, I think if you can handle the old MF (K, M or A) lens you could get rid of the Sigma and replace it with a k-mount (or m42) prime lenses. Unfortunately for the wide angle lens, there are not many choices in that category that are good and cheap.
08-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #41
Inactive Account

My tips: if you only shoot under the sun:
-shoot when it's overcast;
-shoot under a shade in order to block the light coming from above to avoid shadows under the eyes and create more even lighting
-use fill in flash/ reflector

I too was in a somewhat similar situation as u are in right now, what I did was traded my canon 550D to a pentax k10D+2lenses+grip+cash. Why'd I do that?

Primary reason: I needed cash and a telephoto lens for my work. And with the pentax system I could use old manual lenses that come really cheap nowadays. also, I didn't need the extra 8MP and HD vid.

Other factor that inspired me to downgrade: My friend shoots with 7 yr old *istDS with a full manual lens and next thing I know his photo made the cover page of a local magazine, which proved that you don't need the latest gear to roll with the best just one that works for you (but of course having the latest gear helps a lot), by doing so he earned enough money and now upgraded to a k-7 . Another of my experience was with another photog in the field using a k-m while others had the canon 7D/ D300, next morning the k-m guy got the paper cover page.

My advice: it's your call, but for me downgrading by that time saved my ass and my job and my money.

~~sorry for y bad english
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I think some of you are being way too harsh on the OP and bordering on insulting his integrity instead of providing actual advice.

Here are some realities:
1) University is very expensive.
2) Even if you sold all your camera gear and bought nothing to replace it with, the proceeds would barely make a dent in your tuition and living expenses for the next few years.
3) There's not much you can do to wring out some cash from "downgrading" your gear without going down to P&S. Switching to the kit lens or older MF primes is an option, but how much money you'd really get back when the dust settled is something else.
4) Spending time on Pentaxforums.com induces LBA, and should probably be avoided at all costs
5) If that's not an option, make sure you never pay attention to what lenses or equipment people are using, and if you find yourself asking the question immediately close the browser and either go out shooting with the good gear you have now or stick your nose into the nearest textbook.
6) As others have stated, the current value of your gear right now is a piddling drop in the bucket compared to what you can save by limiting or eliminating vices or active living expenses through smarter choices.

[edit]

7) Oh yeah: don't even THINK about buying more gear. This will be more useful than anything else. It's funny because somehow when we try to downsize we often expand.

Last edited by v5planet; 08-04-2011 at 12:07 PM.
08-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Jesse, these are not portraits--they're snapshots. As Cats mentioned above, pay more attention to your background and composition, experiment with different AV settings and above all pay more attention to the angle of light. Shoot in the soft light of early and late and fill with flash any other time.
Yeah, you're probably right in the sense that they're not portraits. They were taken on a recent week-long service trip, so not much time for serious portrait shooting!

Oh yeah, and I kicked myself on the fact that little girl had some random leg walk into the shot, later on after I reviewed it.

Here are some 'proper' portraits.

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I think some of you are being way too harsh on the OP and bordering on insulting his integrity instead of providing actual advice.

Here are some realities:
1) University is very expensive.
2) Even if you sold all your camera gear and bought nothing to replace it with, the proceeds would barely make a dent in your tuition and living expenses for the next few years.
3) There's not much you can do to wring out some cash from "downgrading" your gear without going down to P&S. Switching to the kit lens or older MF primes is an option, but how much money you'd really get back when the dust settled is something else.
4) Spending time on Pentaxforums.com induces LBA, and should probably be avoided at all costs
5) If that's not an option, make sure you never pay attention to what lenses or equipment people are using, and if you find yourself asking the question immediately close the browser and either go out shooting with the good gear you have now or stick your nose into the nearest textbook.
6) As others have stated, the current value of your gear right now is a piddling drop in the bucket compared to what you can save by limiting or eliminating vices or active living expenses through smarter choices.

[edit]

7) Oh yeah: don't even THINK about buying more gear. This will be more useful than anything else. It's funny because somehow when we try to downsize we often expand.
Thanks for the advice - it's a lot more level-headed than a lot I've gotten so far

And for those who have commented on eliminating vices...

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I make my own lunch from stuff I buy at the supermarket, and I have a high-interested bank account with which to save my money! So yeah, I guess I'm not really a serious saver at all
08-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #44
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get a part time job in university to have some cash to spend. I worked in bars for 5 years for my degrees.
08-04-2011, 03:31 PM   #45
Veteran Member

The chances of getting your money back on the camera and lenses is poor, probably non existent.

Keep the gear and find a way of making money with it, sell your pictures through an agency, find a gallery that will sell some framed prints, do some of the basic stuff for the local paper. Get out there and pimp your pictures, make your investment pay for itself. Most students have to work, it keeps McDonalds in staff. Do something different.