Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What kind of budget have you worked out for each month in college?

I don't think it's a bad idea to downgrade your equipment but will it make any impact on your college costs? Do you have part time job possibilities instead? You would also be surprised but a lot of students miss out on grants and scholarships because they don't know that they exist.

edit - I'm not sure how good the advice is to use photography to make money. It would be far easier and more profitable to get a part time job.

Last edited by abacus07; 08-06-2011 at 10:10 AM.
08-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #47
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
One of the reasons I was considering a downgrade was also for low-light shooting... I do a fair bit of it, especially indoors at social events etc. And the K-7 performs horribly, unfortunately.

Oh and yeah, part-time job, definitely. Plus I'll be working in-between semesters. So yeah!
08-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rainy Day Quote
One of the reasons I was considering a downgrade was also for low-light shooting... I do a fair bit of it, especially indoors at social events etc. And the K-7 performs horribly, unfortunately.

Oh and yeah, part-time job, definitely. Plus I'll be working in-between semesters. So yeah!
Quit thinking that you're going to magically upgrade by downgrading. If you're having problems indoors then it probably has more to do with your approach instead of your camera. I'm fairly certain that the K10D is not better indoors than the K-7 and you have a 2.8 max aperture zoom. It's not slow especially for a zoom.

If you are going to downgrade then do it to solve your primary reason for downgrading. And I'm really not certain what that is at this point. If it's for money then sell everything ($1200ish) and buy a used K10D ($300ish) with a $100-$200 budget for MF (or the kit lens) lenses. You can take outstanding photos with a very minimal kit with Pentax.
08-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This really doesn't make any sense. You're not going going to upgrade your gear's capabilities by downgrading. Downgrading is about austerity for the purpose of saving money.

08-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

There was a thread in here by Adam sometime back about tweaking the K7's settings to get better photos at high ISO. I did that and my ISO 3200 photos all turn out ok.