Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #1

FPS buffer size

Could someone please tell me, when DLSRs shoot it burst mode I often hear the shots are buffered. Like in the K-5 they can buffer 20 or so frames. I presume there must be internal RAM like a PC to store the data before transferring it to the SD card.

The thing is, I never see a buffer RAM size in the specifications. What am I missing?

Thanks

Last edited by rainwilds; 08-02-2011 at 08:49 PM.
08-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you are correct and that it is some sort of RAM or fast memory. It's just not something that is listed in the product specs, at this stage.
If you look around some more, you might find some info where people have done some tests to try and work out the relative speed and size of the buffer in the K-5. Of course the write to SD speed depends on the card too, up to a certain point.

I don't think you're missing anything.
08-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Good question! But shouldn't it be over in the dSLR forum area?

Meanwhile, I scan my K20D manual and see specs for the number-of-frames limits of Continuous and Burst shooting, but nothing about the actual RAM. Maybe that's a trade secret?
08-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn't stipulated in the specifications, only the number of images that can be buffered in continuous shooting. I'm thinking it is not as simple as a Mb/Gb capacity since the number of RAW and JPEG images specified on the K-5 are not very different despite a vast difference in file size between the formats.

08-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rainwilds Quote
I never see a buffer RAM size in specifications.

Thanks
It is specified...in the number of images, for convenience :-)
08-02-2011, 08:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Good question! But shouldn't it be over in the dSLR forum area?

Meanwhile, I scan my K20D manual and see specs for the number-of-frames limits of Continuous and Burst shooting, but nothing about the actual RAM. Maybe that's a trade secret?
Trade secret, yeah maybe. Though in the computer world things that need RAM buffers like Blue-Ray drives and even CPU's list the specifications of their buffers'.

I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post this thread. Forgive me; I'm a newbie here!
08-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post this thread. Forgive me; I'm a newbie here!
OK, you're forgiven. (That's easy for me; I don't work here.) But specific questions are more likely to be seen and responded to (and not fondled by moderators) when they're in the appropriate areas. Hay, it's just another learning experience...

08-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all good. I've moved it to the right place for you. When starting a thread have a look at the options before posting.