Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #1

What DSLR?

Hello,

I’m looking to make my first purchase of a DSLR and was hoping that i could get some recommendations. It will be my first DSLR, i do want to take up photography as a hobby so something that produces quality images is important. My budget is 350-400 although the closer to the 350 mark the better.

08-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd look for a used K200 or Kx - though you might find a K20 for that range if you wait long enough...

The K10 I bought 3 years ago was $350, and it's still a good camera within its limitations.
08-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are just starting out, I'd recommend the K-r. You'll get a good balance of image quality and ease of use, and can always use manual controls when needed.

Pentax K-r Review - PentaxForums.com

The price is currently $699, so that should be within budget

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adams the man to listen to. To echo and expand on his post...

Either the K-r or K-x. The K-r has the updated features of the K-x but is a little more money. They no longer make the K-x but you could probably find one here on the market place. If your new to this you're going to want as much help in low light as possible. For that reason alone, your choices become the K-x , K-r, or K-5. I had the K10. Its not a beginners camera and the sensor can't hang with the K-x.
If you plan on taking a lot of photographs without the flash to get that "natural lighting look", and especially if you don't know about exposure(s) you'll want to depend on a camera that can perform at high ISO. This eliminates the K10.