Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D Menu

I'm currently deciding between the K100D Super and the K10D. Of course, buying the K10D would be stretching my budget a little, but for $650 (after rebate) at B&H with an 18-55 mm lens, it looks like a steal. Anyway, my main concern about the K100D is the menu. Some reviewers have pointed out that the K100D menu has some poorly worded options, for example "Swtch dst msr pt". I can't wrap my head around that. Is this true? I haven't seen users griping about stuff like this, so I assume Pentax has corrected this with a firmware updated, or is it a non-issue? Please comment on the K100D's menu. Oh, and by the way, is the 6 MP resolution enough to deliver high quality photos and minimize distortion?

Thanks
tux

11-24-2007, 09:30 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the menu does have things like "Swtch dst msr pt", but I really find it a non-issue. Once you read the manual and practice with the camera, you get to know the menu items and your favourite settings. If you forget, it just takes one quick look at the manual again. No biggy as far as I'm concerned.
11-24-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the site. As for the menu questions, I don't recall seeing anything like that in the menu of either of my cameras. Either camera would be a good buy but I would def go for the K10D, but I am biased.

Ad for the resolution question, that has little to do with the image quality.
11-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Ad for the resolution question, that has little to do with the image quality.
Sorry, I meant something else. I'm on the Yearbook staff at my school. Sometimes we've had issue where some large resolutions photos have become distorted after being placed into a large picture box that spans majority of two long legal papers placed side by side vertically. Would the 6 MP be enough for things like that?

11-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The native resolution of a 6MP image is 3072 pixels by 2048 pixels. At 72 ppi, this photo has an output size of 42” x 28” – and while that’s large, the resolution is far too low to produce a continuous tone print. When you enter a resolution of 200 ppi, the output size changes to approx. 10” x 15” – which is the largest output size you can have using the native resolution of the file. At 300 ppi, the file has an output size of 10” x 7” – which would be about as large as the file could go for traditional offset printing on a four-color press. With that being said, there are ways to get that to work for your needs in Photoshop but at what cost to the picture quality, I do not know.
11-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I guess I'll go for the K10D, then, if I can afford it.
11-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

There are many cryptic options in the menus mentioned on this forum. Two that had me stumped for awhile:

When I gave my wife an istD the shutter would not function with her K1000 manual lenses. To use some older lenses you need:

"Using Aperture Ring"

When I bought a used Vivitar 2x converter for my K100D I discovered I needed:

"FI with S lens used"

I'd guess Pentax engineers named them based on what they wanted to do at the moment (use the ring on a manual lens, use a screw mount lens) rather than a more general name. They don't consider that a mistake that needs to be corrected in firmware, especially since any future manuals would have to have two names for some functions, one for firmware below revision 1.xx and one for revision 1.xx and newer. Think of the confusion that would cause on this Forum!

As Panache said, you get to know the options and live with it.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 11-25-2007 at 10:07 AM. Reason: fix typo