Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will there be a Pentax Full Frame camera on PhotoKina 2012?
YES 6625.78%
NO 19074.22%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #241
Forum Member

I absolutely support the idea of Pentax introducing a FF camera ... the sooner, the better. You see, once they do that, I would benefit from the number of DA lenses appearing on Marketplace. Am sure I can find something to go along with my K-r :-)

08-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vn33 Quote
I absolutely support the idea of Pentax introducing a FF camera ... the sooner, the better. You see, once they do that, I would benefit from the number of DA lenses appearing on Marketplace. Am sure I can find something to go along with my K-r :-)
Depends on what you hope to find on the marketplace - many "DA" lenses are fully usable on FF and an FF buyer may elect to keep them.
08-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually given the Nex-7 has SR
AFAIK the Nex series doesn't have SR in the body, it's disappointingly in the lens. Only Olympus has implemented it in a mirrorless camera.
08-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
AFAIK the Nex series doesn't have SR in the body, it's disappointingly in the lens. Only Olympus has implemented it in a mirrorless camera.
thanks you're right of course

i was thinking of the other nor so small Sonys

08-25-2011, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #245
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Really? What about the Nex-7? It can't be the electronics taking that much space. OK the sensor has to be bigger, maybe also the pentaprism (but it could use less magnification). But otherwise? If we leave SR aside I'm sure a FF Pentax could be as small as a K-5.
The biggest complaint about APS-C after IQ is the smaller VF. So why downgrade the VF on FF Makes no sense fir the cost. SR will make it bigger than a K-5. PDAF near-equivalent to a Nikon D700 will take up more space, and for $3,000 I had better get that good an AF. The whole point of a DSLR is the OVF with a secondary feature the unmatched rapidity of PDAF. These take up physical space. If you want smaller list what features you are willing to lose while still paying $3,000.
08-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #246
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The biggest complaint about APS-C after IQ is the smaller VF. So why downgrade the VF on FF Makes no sense fir the cost. SR will make it bigger than a K-5. PDAF near-equivalent to a Nikon D700 will take up more space, and for $3,000 I had better get that good an AF. The whole point of a DSLR is the OVF with a secondary feature the unmatched rapidity of PDAF. These take up physical space. If you want smaller list what features you are willing to lose while still paying $3,000.
+1

08-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #247
Veteran Member

FF feh I want 8x10

Mitchell Feinberg’s 8×10 Digital Capture Back

08-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony still planning full-frame camera - British Journal of Photography

Sounds like Sony still has not decided on which direction to go with FF.
08-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Depends on what you hope to find on the marketplace - many "DA" lenses are fully usable on FF and an FF buyer may elect to keep them.
It depends on what you mean by usable. The DA 40, for instance, already has 0.8 EV of vignetting on APS-C wide open, certainly this will worsen when shooting on full frame. The DA 70, also touted as being "full frame compatible" has similar characteristics. I, for one, would be a lot more interested in the FA limiteds (as well as other full frame lenses), if I owned such a camera.
08-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It depends on what you mean by usable. The DA 40, for instance, already has 0.8 EV of vignetting on APS-C wide open, certainly this will worsen when shooting on full frame. The DA 70, also touted as being "full frame compatible" has similar characteristics. I, for one, would be a lot more interested in the FA limiteds (as well as other full frame lenses), if I owned such a camera.
i suggest you this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
08-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #251
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have read it and many of the DA lenses are rated as either not usable or, only usable stopped down. There are a handful of telephotos, the DA * primes and the 60-250 zoom that seem to be rated highly on full frame. I just don't know that you would keep a lens that you have to stop down to f4 to get rid of vignetting, particularly if there are other lenses out there that will perform better.
08-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just don't know that you would keep a lens that you have to stop down to f4 to get rid of vignetting
It isn't any worse than stopping down to f4 in order to make shots sharp enough on APS-C
08-29-2011, 04:12 AM   #253
Veteran Member

So, I don't know about other places, but our (Moscow) pentaxians are switching to canikon (usually canon 5d mk ii). These are people who spend quite much. With this mindless APS-C only behaviour pentax is only losing its audience and money. Tiny limiteds is not a good niche.
I'm on pentax only because my LBA is over. It's highly unlikely I will ever buy pentax APS-C camera and this is quite bad for them because they would expect for $1000-$3000 per year from me. Even worse: I will not recommend pentax for anyone. Mirroless cams, especially samsung nx, look like much more reasonable solution nowdays. In other cases it's beter for them to choose something from canon/nikon.

Last edited by Emacs; 08-29-2011 at 05:03 AM.
08-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there should be a "I don't care" option, But I suppose that is my apathy amplified by the fact that I already own several full frame cameras.
08-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #255
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

My friend in Dallas Tex...has a highly successful photo business, large studio and impressive list of clients. Shoots with a D3X and two D700s, all the best strobes and lenses.
Bought a K5 for his trip to Europe this last Spring because of the size and the DPR review.....and from using my K5 for a short shooting spree with the 43 LTD mounted. He loved the K5 and it is now his main camera outside the studio.
In a recent discussion where I mentioned that many(?) in Pentaxland were clamoring for FF....his response was ...Why?

I kind of think that if you are not getting what you want with the K5 and the proper lenses to match, FF is not going to change much in your photography. You are likely to lose more than you gain. Just how I see it, based on people more knowledgeable than me that shoot both ways.

Regards!