Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will there be a Pentax Full Frame camera on PhotoKina 2012?
YES 6625.78%
NO 19074.22%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2011, 08:40 AM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
...they would expect for $1000-$3000 per year from me.
Are you crazy? Who spends that much every year? lol Don't be so dramatic!

08-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Actually in emacs defense (never thought i'd say that ) there are a number here who hop on the new top model every time it's released , pair that with an occasional top quality lens and you are there. for example K5 @ release with say the 18-135Wr $2200 or so, pick up any limited the next year and bob's your uncle 1500-2000 per year over 2 years
08-29-2011, 09:05 AM   #258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Actually in emacs defense (never thought i'd say that ) there are a number here who hop on the new top model every time it's released , pair that with an occasional top quality lens and you are there. for example K5 @ release with say the 18-135Wr $2200 or so, pick up any limited the next year and bob's your uncle 1500-2000 per year over 2 years
Every year? I don't think so. I've been doing this for 35 years and I don't know a single soul, professional or amateur, who drops that kind of cash year in and year out. Maybe every 2-3 years, but not every year.
08-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #259
Pentaxian

He just wanted to tell us he's rich

08-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
He just wanted to tell us he's rich
Pentax stuff is about 1.5 times more expensive here than in, to say, USA and I'm not married LOL
08-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
My friend in Dallas Tex...has a highly successful photo business, large studio and impressive list of clients. Shoots with a D3X and two D700s, all the best strobes and lenses.
Bought a K5 for his trip to Europe this last Spring because of the size and the DPR review.....and from using my K5 for a short shooting spree with the 43 LTD mounted. He loved the K5 and it is now his main camera outside the studio.
In a recent discussion where I mentioned that many(?) in Pentaxland were clamoring for FF....his response was ...Why?

I kind of think that if you are not getting what you want with the K5 and the proper lenses to match, FF is not going to change much in your photography. You are likely to lose more than you gain. Just how I see it, based on people more knowledgeable than me that shoot both ways.

Regards!
Did you ask him why his K5 has became his main cemera outside of the studio but not also inside the studio? His answer will probably be "because it's not a FF camera like the Nikon D3X and 700s". That's the answer to the why that he was looking for.

I don't own a K5 but I've tried several times because my friends has it, while I'm extremely impressed with it, I still prefer the images provided by my Canon 5D with my old Takumar lenses. IMHO - K5 is no slouch, but crop sensor is nowhere near FF for serious shooting.
08-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I don't own a K5 but I've tried several times because my friends has it, while I'm extremely impressed with it, I still prefer the images provided by my Canon 5D with my old Takumar lenses. IMHO - K5 is no slouch, but crop sensor is nowhere near FF for serious shooting.
+1, I was amazed of old 85 f1.8 takumar with 5d mk II
the look of the images taken with it blew the 70-200L f2.8 II away

08-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I'm not married LOL
That would explain it. lol Wives often have other ideas about how the money should be spent...but you probably knew that already.
08-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #264
Veteran Member

Every year? I don't think so. I've been doing this for 35 years and I don't know a single soul, professional or amateur, who drops that kind of cash year in and year out. Maybe every 2-3 years, but not every year.
I've been doing it almost 40 years. but that is irrelevant. there weren't the same improvements model over model in film days. Digital has changed everything for now (at some point we will hit a diminishing returns but not in the near future i don't think)
If people have the money and the passion they will devote capital to it. As far as I am concerned every flagship model has had enough improvement to justify a move up. I don't have the money though so I am limited on how often I do it. no reason to think we won't continue to see improvements even though the K5 is a stellar model from all accounts. Ff just adds to the upgrade options for those who want and can afford it. So would a nice ASPC MILC
My K7 satisfies me about 85-90% of the time. A K5 would probably bump that to 90-95%. A 645D likely would be no differnt from a K5 for satisfaction because where I gained (resolution, DOF etc) I would lose (low light size etc)
FF would quite likely satisfy all the things I would like to see in a camera, but then I would have even worse LBA
It's like an Escher world
08-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #265

Photos: Gallery
Given the mprovments made to the K-5 over my k-20D. I would be happy with a k-5 upgrade. If Pentax makes a FF camera it wold be tempting though, asuming they make it saller than the behemoths currently offerd by Canikony.
08-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #266
Veteran Member

I had a thought: Pentax likes to boast about 2 things: compact size, in-body stabilisation. I think the in-body SR requires too much space on a full frame camera, so much that they will need to make the camera bigger, much bigger than the 5D/D700's (without grips) and probably about as big as a 1d. I'm not sure how big the SR motors are, but if this is the case then Pentax may need to invest too much in order to find a way to shrink it so they can fit a bigger sensor in a body the size of the k-5 or have to remove SR on the FF body entirely.
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #267
Pentaxian

The SR isn't that big - I'm sure a Pentax FF would be smaller than 5D/D700.
08-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #268
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Did you ask him why his K5 has became his main cemera outside of the studio but not also inside the studio? His answer will probably be "because it's not a FF camera like the Nikon D3X and 700s". That's the answer to the why that he was looking for.

I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that its "not a full frame camera" and more to do with the fact that he already owns them and is used to the way they work in that setting. Studio work is one place where it is often hard to tell what camera was used. I suppose it could be Nikon's flash support too, which is a definite step above Pentax's.
10-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Full Frame in 2012. Quite possible. It has been obvious for a while that Hoya has been positioning to sell the imaging devision of Pentax. Now that this is over with hopefully pentax will go where they wish, hopefully Ricoh approves. The gap between pentax and canikon is not so big anymore the road ahead is either very good for us pentax users or not very good at all. Only time will tell. BTW I think the K5 is a very good tool an IQ is just behind the full frame camera, alas the next batch of FF camera will be even better. Pentax can not ignore this segment any longer. It is time for Ricoh to step it up, light a fire under there. I cant justify a $10000 camera, but maybe a 3000 dollar one.
10-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #270

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
GXR with KAf mount with a FF sensor?
It would be quite bulky.
There is a need for flange focal, longer than for leica M-mount