Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will there be a Pentax Full Frame camera on PhotoKina 2012?
YES 6625.78%
NO 19074.22%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #271
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bozianul Quote
It would be quite bulky.
There is a need for flange focal, longer than for leica M-mount
and given they chose to make the m module as apsc, the FF would increase bulk as well. I'm pretty sure price wasn't the concern when the only m mount competition on FF is $7000

10-25-2011, 08:03 AM   #272

They say
"We at PENTAX RICOH IMAGING will further strive to promote the digital camera business under the long thriving PENTAX brand, and establish it to be a leading company, with its unique path, ranking with other competitive top tier brands. "

You cannot do this without a full-frame camera, can you?
And I think (or hope?) they can do it, as long as they already have APS and medium format.
10-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter

there is a hell of a long thread on this running, and the consensus is mostly FF has to come to market. I'm certain it will not so certain it will in 2012, but if it does it will be at photokina in September. (Given the troubles Sony and Nikon are having due to the Floods it would be better if they were ready to go now. Canon will be the only FF on shelves for Xmas the way it looks at the moment - discounting the possibility that leica will actually have stock and not be wait listed like normal)
10-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there is a hell of a long thread on this running, and the consensus is mostly FF has to come to market. I'm certain it will not so certain it will in 2012, but if it does it will be at photokina in September. (Given the troubles Sony and Nikon are having due to the Floods it would be better if they were ready to go now. Canon will be the only FF on shelves for Xmas the way it looks at the moment - discounting the possibility that leica will actually have stock and not be wait listed like normal)
Well no new Canon since 1Dx is coming in march and Nikon probably will follow by then too. Still my favorite goes to APS-H.

10-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #275
Pentaxian

I think they will make a FF eventually, but probably not in 2012. Maybe if economic conditions were different. Things are still not good in the USA, and in case you hadn't noticed Europe is currently in total economic meltdown. The eurozone could even collapse within weeks (probably not, but it is possible). I think Ricoh needs to concentrate on shoring up the current line (fix the issues with the K-5, etc) and rebuilding their presence in the U.S. You can't even find new Pentax gear in stores anymore (outside of NY & LA maybe). There is not a single authorized Pentax retailer here in Colorado anymore (at least with Pentax stuff on the shelves -- there was when I bought my K10D, but no more) and the Pentax USA HQ is literally walking distance from where I type this! (They just moved to a high-rise in downtown Denver from nearby Golden.) I think they still have decent market share in some places in Europe, but like I said, have you seen what's going on in Europe?
10-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I think they will make a FF eventually, but probably not in 2012. Maybe if economic conditions were different. Things are still not good in the USA, and in case you hadn't noticed Europe is currently in total economic meltdown. The eurozone could even collapse within weeks (probably not, but it is possible). I think Ricoh needs to concentrate on shoring up the current line (fix the issues with the K-5, etc) and rebuilding their presence in the U.S. You can't even find new Pentax gear in stores anymore (outside of NY & LA maybe). There is not a single authorized Pentax retailer here in Colorado anymore (at least with Pentax stuff on the shelves -- there was when I bought my K10D, but no more) and the Pentax USA HQ is literally walking distance from where I type this! (They just moved to a high-rise in downtown Denver from nearby Golden.) I think they still have decent market share in some places in Europe, but like I said, have you seen what's going on in Europe?
Europe is still in better shape than the US in many ways. there are problem countries but others are doing well.
The US funnily enough seems to have the worst Pentax distribution of any country in the world.
I thought Pentax opened a store at the new headquarters? or was I dreaming. Of course that isn't the same as having competitive retail presence.
In Canada most of our larger dealers (aside from the Big Box stores) carry Pentax, though in some markets it is likely only through order and not in store
the big thing is getting the support at the store level. that takes marketing dollars
Financial difficulties might mean planing a longer ROI on a premium model but it shouldn't derail palms for a flagship KAf mount model,
10-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #277
Pentaxian

I thought Pentax opened a store at the new headquarters? or was I dreaming. Of course that isn't the same as having competitive retail presence.
Local articles said they "were considering renting retail space" at the downtown location. Don't think they did, but I could go check it out....
10-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #278
Pentaxian

I voted no, not because I am in tune with pentax "marketing" such as it is, but because I simply don't care.

As an amature, even though I have been shooting for 30 years and have had full frame (when it comes to film) the advances in lenses today, specifically i the wide angle area, have made full frame unnecessary for me.

THis does not mean that it is unnecessary for everyone, just I personally do not see the need for 99.99% of the market.

10-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #279
Veteran Member

If Pentax made an APS-C DSLR that could go up against Nikon's D700 & Canon's 5D Mark 2 for less than 2k I would buy it.
10-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #280
Veteran Member

Europe is still in better shape than the US in many ways. there are problem countries but others are doing well.
The US funnily enough seems to have the worst Pentax distribution of any country in the world.
In Canada most of our larger dealers (aside from the Big Box stores) carry Pentax, though in some markets it is likely only through order and not in store
the big thing is getting the support at the store level. that takes marketing dollars
Financial difficulties might mean planing a longer ROI on a premium model but it shouldn't derail palms for a flagship KAf mount model,
IN my area pentax presence Is definitely getting worse. I used to be able to find the complete DA line minus the telephotos at my local store. Now itís just down to the kit lens and the telezooms
10-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #281
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
would be too heavy and expensive for me. Long glass for full frame is prohibitive and hard to carry. Cheers - Klaus
10-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #282

Under glass I think. I do hope they do. Please
11-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #283
Site Supporter

The Pentax Imaging store has been there a while at Golden. They are merely moving it to Denver.
11-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #284

Photos: Albums
I think at some point Pentax will have to come out with something full frame just to compete. Honestly, if they could come out with a good FF body that rivaled Canon/Nikon/Sony/etc I believe a lot more people would look seriously at Pentax as an option. Pentax has the edge in many categories, if they'd only exploit them all in one FF body I think it would be hard to beat that product.
11-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cwebsterlusk Quote
I think at some point Pentax will have to come out with something full frame just to compete. Honestly, if they could come out with a good FF body that rivaled Canon/Nikon/Sony/etc I believe a lot more people would look seriously at Pentax as an option.
Pentax has to fix it's marketing first. Otherwise, with no presence in camera stores and so few photographers shooting Pentax, how is anyone supposed to know what Pentax is offering? Pentax already makes some great products, but they act like they're trying to keep it secret from the world. lol