Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will there be a Pentax Full Frame camera on PhotoKina 2012?
YES 6625.78%
NO 19074.22%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2011, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to vote no initially as for some reason I thought Photkina was in the spring and I thought it to soon for an announcement
by photokina it will be close to a year since the takeover so i can see an announcement, though it may just be showing a prototype and announcing a launch intended for the following spring
otherwise it would need to be ready to go for october shipments and i think a scant year is too short for development and refinement and ready for production if they want a model that really makes a splash . I could be wrong though, i frequently am according to my wife

08-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I was going to vote no initially as for some reason I thought Photkina was in the spring and I thought it to soon for an announcement
by photokina it will be close to a year since the takeover so i can see an announcement, though it may just be showing a prototype and announcing a launch intended for the following spring
otherwise it would need to be ready to go for october shipments and i think a scant year is too short for development and refinement and ready for production if they want a model that really makes a splash . I could be wrong though, i frequently am according to my wife
Well I'm also just expecting a prototype with a date for launch early 2013. Wow that is still a long wait.
08-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doubt a Pentax FF because of the Ricoh purchase, simply because nothing in the marketplace has changed to convince Ricoh/Pentax execs that to launch one would be an economically viable decision.
08-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm going to shed some of my pessimism on this front and say YES. End of next year is a ways away, and I'm sure Ricoh is at least doing the analysis on whether this would be a good idea right now, even if they haven't decided one way or the other yet.

I would definitely get one -- eventually. But I would want it as a complement to APS-C (unless it were about the same size as a K-5), so I'd probably have to wait a bit to afford both.

I do love how the conversations on this forum have turned away from "WILL RICOH DROP THE PENTAX BRAND AND K-MOUNT AH MAH GAWD?!" to "Are they going to give us this specific K-mount toy or another?" :-)

08-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #20
Banned

Original Poster
Wow, not very optimistic are you all together Just one out of four is expecting a Full Frame camera. Well if Ricoh could sell a Full Frame camera for every three APS-C camerabody's I think we will see this very soon. It's a pitty that it doesn't work like that, and sales are much lower Still hope that it is true on PhotoKina.
08-16-2011, 03:44 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Wow, not very optimistic are you all together Just one out of four is expecting a Full Frame camera. Well if Ricoh could sell a Full Frame camera for every three APS-C camerabody's I think we will see this very soon. It's a pitty that it doesn't work like that, and sales are much lower Still hope that it is true on PhotoKina.
Well, "Do you expect FF" and "Will you buy FF" are two completely different polls

I do not expect K mount FF (I voted accordingly), however I would buy one as soon as it would be available.
08-16-2011, 09:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think one per every 5 K-5 class bodies would be more realistic.

08-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can't find the "I don't care" choice.

No really. The resolution on my K5 is more than enough for my needs. I don't remember the last time I needed to enlarge a photo more than 8X10. In fact, I don't even remember the 8X10 I did.
08-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Yes, there will be a surprising announcement.
No, there won't be a Pentax FF camera body.
Maybe, there might be a GXR KAF mountor.
But really, we have insufficient data. Ratz.
08-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #25
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I think one per every 5 K-5 class bodies would be more realistic.
Sounds even good.

and K-5 is a quarter of K-r or so?
08-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I'd buy a Pentax FF. Having a FA31 & FA77 I'd rather they operated with the FOV they were designed for.

I can see why you would want one. But I am thinking, hwo will the image quality at the corners, as those lenses were not designed to deal with sensors. and then especially CAS etc.
08-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Yes, there will be a surprising announcement.
No, there won't be a Pentax FF camera body.
Maybe, there might be a GXR KAF mountor.
But really, we have insufficient data. Ratz.

GXR with KAf mount with a FF sensor?
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
GXR with KAf mount with a FF sensor?
uncrippled KAf mount

I'd be all over that one
08-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I can see why you would want one. But I am thinking, hwo will the image quality at the corners, as those lenses were not designed to deal with sensors. and then especially CAS etc.
Stop talking this mantra. Those lenses was tested with full frame cameras and they are OK.
And, by the way, the 31Ltd isn't quite usable with APS-C wide open although it is on FF
08-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted "No". For my use, I don't care. Actually, I don't want to get one if FF is bigger & heavier than its APS-C counterpart.

Also, I don't see how an FF lens can be as compact as its APS-C counterpart, i.e. with same FOV. For example, I like my 50-135mm F2.8 and I would guess an 80-200mm F2.8 for FF would be much heavier than it.

APS-C image quality is good enough for my use. If I am after ultimate image quality, I guess even FF falls short.

IMHO, photographic equipment for general users is all about balance point. In old days, 35mm is the balance point. Now for digital interchangable lens camera, it appears APS-C (or maybe even 4/3) being the balance point. Camera manufarturers are just on their way of settling on one like they did during film days. Time will tell. They don't care too much about what lenses you currently have but what you're going to buy.

Last edited by hyyz; 08-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.