Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will there be a Pentax Full Frame camera on PhotoKina 2012?
YES 6625.78%
NO 19074.22%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
yep, and a FF is only 1.5 times bigger than APS-C, so that arguements doesn't hold any ground.
There is alot of difference between the pictures, alot. That you don't want to see it, is another matter.
Sorry, but 1.5 is still larger than 1.27
So it's clear that the difference between APS-C and FF is more significant

08-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #92
Veteran Member

And WTF is 645D? How can I mount my 31Ltd on this body? Does it cost about $3000?
08-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can't, but I thought you wanted FF for it's superior IQ, well MF is even above that. If you really want superior IQ, you will go for that
08-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #94
Banned

The Pentax 645D w/25mm F4 is $15,000 and a Pentax FF with Sigma 20mm F1.8 would cost about $3,000 and work with the 24 million FF K-mount lenses out there.

08-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #95
Veteran Member

you can't, but I thought you wanted FF for it's superior IQ, well MF is even above that. If you really want superior IQ, you will go for that
You seem to be one of those alternative thinking
With the FF camera I would get much better results with the lenses I have right now.
08-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Pentax 645D w/25mm F4 is $15,000 and a Pentax FF with Sigma 20mm F1.8 would cost about $3,000 and work with the 24 million FF K-mount lenses out there.
I'll be very surprised if we will see a Pentax FF camera at less than $3000.....
08-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #97
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'll be very surprised if we will see a Pentax FF camera at less than $3000.....
Well if there would be a topmodel in aps-c placed above K-5 and then a FF camera model I don't expect it in price at or lower then 5D/D700 or successors. But then again, at 3000 $ it is more expensive. There was someone writing a check for a FF in another thread for $ 3.500 and that might be a very good price.

08-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #98
Veteran Member

The 645D isn't even a full frame 645 format, it is also a cropped one. People want full frame to be able to use the mount design of their lenses to gain superior IQ to a up to a point. Others have already mentioned the price difference.

I have always said in the past that switching to the 645D is the same as switching to a Canon/Nikon. If you have a set of FA lenses, and pentax releases a FF camera then you can still use those FA lenses (you can even use some of the DA lenses).

There is also the size, the 645D is considerably larger than the 5D2/700D. The size difference is much larger than 5d2 compared to a k5.

I see the 645D as competition for the 1d/3ds and for those it is a viable competitor. I would have been happy if they released a D700/5D2 competitor.
08-20-2011, 09:56 PM   #99
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Why, it would be competing with what ever replaces they d700 and 5d mkII. But at least you didn't say you would be surprised to see a Pentax ff.
08-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #100
dmc
Forum Member

So, I don't think this is a question of whether or not Ricoh/Pentax are able to make a full frame sensor camera, but rather why would they want to. The APS-C market is much bigger and Pentax have created a really nice niche for themselves. The FF market is relatively small and well covered by the likes of Nikon/Canon/Leica. There really is not a need for another entry in this class. In FF, Pentax would be a small player against real giants. In crop sensors, they have a chance to be the Giant.

Nope, Ricoh should allow Pentax to refine and build on crop sensors, IMHO.
08-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmc Quote
The APS-C market is much bigger and Pentax have created a really nice niche for themselves.
This niche is better suited for mirrorless cameras.
08-21-2011, 01:32 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
This niche is better suited for mirrorless cameras.
Which brings us back to getting the most bang for the buck from Pentax's development resources. I also think that mirrorless APSC is the way to go for Pentax's entry level camera (currently Kx and Kr). It would be incrementally smaller, lighter and potentially cheaper.

Does Pentax have enough engineering to support the misquided Q (currently my opinion), mirrorless APSC (hopefully this sensor), DSLR APSC (the higher end like the K5), full frame (and complete the lens lineup) and 645D? Potentially you could phase you the DSLR APSC and make higher end mirrorless but I don't think that will go well with K5 users with a full set of DA limiteds.

Full frame would be awesome but I'm doubtful that it is in the best interests of Pentax.
08-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #103
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Which brings us back to getting the most bang for the buck from Pentax's development resources. I also think that mirrorless APSC is the way to go for Pentax's entry level camera (currently Kx and Kr). It would be incrementally smaller, lighter and potentially cheaper.

Does Pentax have enough engineering to support the misquided Q (currently my opinion), mirrorless APSC (hopefully this sensor), DSLR APSC (the higher end like the K5), full frame (and complete the lens lineup) and 645D? Potentially you could phase you the DSLR APSC and make higher end mirrorless but I don't think that will go well with K5 users with a full set of DA limiteds.

Full frame would be awesome but I'm doubtful that it is in the best interests of Pentax.
There's probably a niche market for a true 35mm size sensor Pentax. Don't forget that the 645D is Also Cropped. I've seen the idea floated in previous threads that a FF camera could support the DA type lenses with a crop in the software. I have no idea what Ricoh plans on doing but with most new lenses in the dslr market from Pentax being APS-C type lenses, I don't believe Pentax (in its past incarnations) ever had any intention of entering the FF market.

08-21-2011, 04:05 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course, if Pentax released a full frame camera, you could mount your DA lenses on it with some type of software enabled crop. The question is why would you want to do that if you are pretty heavily invested in the DA lenses. The people who really want a full frame camera are those who have old lenses, whether of more recent vintage (FA limiteds) or more ancient. Newer photographers often don't really care and in fact are often quite confused by the whole "crop factor" issue.
08-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #105
Inactive Account

yep, and a FF is only 1.5 times bigger than APS-C, so that arguements doesn't hold any ground.
There is alot of difference between the pictures, alot. That you don't want to see it, is another matter.
In what terms? FF has 2.34 times larger area than APS-C. That means FF captures 2.34 times more light. Think about the signal/noise ratio.

Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia